Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For reference - heres a couple of pictures of Hans' VR6 [emoji106] with the 313mm fronts (prepaint upgrade) and his 9j x 19" rim.

Last edited by Activ8; 11 December 2018, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• Ive been looking at an upgrade too, does any of you guys run the factory 313mm brake setup like Hans but with 17" alloys? Looked at lots of brakes that might fit but keep coming back to the factory 313mm ones...but not at £700🤤🤤🤤

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

• You can check which master cylinder and brakes you have fitted by looking at the fuse box plate. See pic. Left = front , Right = Rear

The platform with the van specs shows the front setup and rear as codes, here's the front;
        PR-1LU is the code for the 25.4mm master cylinder (with and without ABS).
        PR-1LE is the code for 23mm master cylinder
        PR-1LP is the code for 23mm master cylinder
        PR-1LB is the code for 25.4mm master cylinder
        PR-1LU+ is the code for 25.4mm master cylinder
        PR-1AT+ is the code for 25.4mm master cylinder
        The codes reflect different setups , such as ESP / ABS / Diff. Lock / & others!

For 300mm & 313mm front calipers it's recommended to use the larger 25.4mm master cylinder.
        23mm = 7M1 611 019 / 7M0 611 019
        25.4mm = 7D0 611 019 / A / B (there are various 2 or 4 port options & sizes, so check beforehand.)

Comment

• My 345s will fit under a 17 - they'll also fit under a 16 and possibly a 15.....

It's the issue with the back of the wheel hitting the face of the caliper and you'll get that with a lot of alloys with positive ETs and some dish - it's not solely about the dish so there's another to watch out for.

The merc calipers are much more compact and better looking - the sharan caliper is nasty.

Hmmmmm - could you run a standard caliper with 345/330 discs and just an adaptor plate....that'd be cheap and easy diy.......

Comment

• The V6 caliper is a little industrial to be polite but an OEM solution none-the-less. Sharan calipers behind a full / closed wheel wouldn't be seen.

You mean extend the existing carrier , possible - depends on finding suitably shaped pads to suit the disc and caliper housing plus standard 280mm calipers are a little thin for the larger/thicker diameter disc aren't they?

Comment

• Thanks Reg, you made me remember that mk4 golfs were like that. Same caliper with deeper carriers, will look into that . What vehicle are the 330mm discs off? Sorry for all the questions.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

• Ebay ml rear discs 111529585920
                330mm vented 22mm wide

Comment

• Originally posted by lister View Post
                  Ebay ml rear discs 111529585920
                  330mm vented 22mm wide
                  This man is on it ....

Comment

These would probably be better as the overall height is only 41.4 mm with the height of t4 discs being 55mm gives you 13.6mm for an adaptor.

Comment

These would probably be better as the overall height is only 41.4 mm with the height of t4 discs being 55mm gives you 13.6mm for an adaptor.
                      Can you explain this?

Comment

• Spacing the original caliper out on a 330mm disc. The lower hat height of the disc would take the caliper 13.6mm further out giving space for an adaptor to mount the carrier. Like this
                        https://goo.gl/images/EMvQUC
                        But with the caliper bolted to the otherside of the bracket. G
                        Last edited by lister; 11 December 2018, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Spacing the original caliper out on a 330mm disc. The lower hat height of the disc would take the caliper 13.6mm further out giving space for an adaptor to mount the carrier. Like this
                          Cheers. What have you got left to do to complete your upgrade?

Comment

• Loads. They have been sat in boxes beside my bench in work for the past 6+ months waiting for me to start. Calipers have been rebuilt but require paint. Hub has been modified. Need to make an adaptor like Reg did. Going to make a start after christmas as the discs on my van will require replacing soon.

Comment

Loads. They have been sat in boxes beside my bench in work for the past 6+ months waiting for me to start. Calipers have been rebuilt but require paint. Hub has been modified. Need to make an adaptor like Reg did. Going to make a start after christmas as the discs on my van will require replacing soon.
                              Looking forward to some more info and pics. Did you need to upgrade your master cylinder? Are you upgrading the rear too?
                              Thanks for the advice and info.

I'm sticking with plan A and initially upgrading to 313mm VR6 units. I've bought a few front sets now.

Just having a look at the Mercedes calipers, theres a ton of Mercs that use the 25.4mm master cylinder, so a great choice for the calipers.
                              The ML route has such a broad cost effective power range to choose from too.

MERCEDES-BENZ M-Class (W163) (Year of Construction 02.1998 - 06.2005, 150 - 347 PS, Diesel, Petrol)

Comment

Spacing the original caliper out on a 330mm disc. The lower hat height of the disc would take the caliper 13.6mm further out giving space for an adaptor to mount the carrier. Like this

Got to be careful as the lower bell height can push the caliper towards the rear of the wheel centre

Oh and the google image is not a great example - if you are fortunate to have that nice 0 offset between mountings you should run two thinner plates (one each side of the mounting) rather than one thick one plate.

Comment

Working...
                                X