Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use a £20 gun for primer and hi build.

Don't get hung up on nozzle sizes, hi build will go through a 1.0 absolutely fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

so you like the citric then.....

Just don't put ally in - some cast irons turn to sludge as well.

Can be done cold - it's much slower. I had vats of it outside and just dunked stuff for days/weeks

The surface will flash rust really quick, so get it cleaned and protected as soon as it is removed from the bath.
      I just got cast wishbones for the golf. Was gonna soak them in citric before refurbing them. Should I not use it on cast?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• Hooked up with Sean (dog71) today to look at a van for sale. Popped into a local breakers and picked up another bonnet and a few TDI ECU's. Need to take some tools next time as there were a few bits Id like to spare up on.

Comment

• TDI ecu's hell do you eat the things?

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
            TDI ecu's hell do you eat the things?
            ECU’s are good for bathroom tiles, fuck all else. Robs doing his en suite.

Sent from a muppet
            #vanlife

Comment

• Heres an idea Im toying with..... do you think its possible to make a pop top roof from recycling a donor T4's steel roof section? I'm not sure about hinging it but was thinking along the lines of 4 long electric actuators to raise and lock out the top roof completely?

Comment

• I like the idea. I've given a diy pop top a lot of thought. I think the best idea is to take a fiberglass mould of the roof and work from that.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• Yeh I've thought the same or go carbon for better rigidity and strength but why not use the roof itself? Something to think about.

Comment

• Just be careful when you make the cut the new roof don't fall through the gap. Joking aside I could see trouble with the mating surfaces as the new roof may need to be slightly bigger to sit on the van. Didn't someone on here have a go at a sliding canvas roof like a 2CV and ending up in Malvern having a proper pop top fitted. I'd get a pick up myself.

Comment

• Im sure when these were thrown off the press in Wolsburg by 2 dim but burly sausage munchers they were stored in a neatly stacked pile waiting for some clever Accountant to introduce a robot comically called Hansi to move them to the assembly line.

Comment

• Mate replaced the Spring Compressor kit I lent him 2 years ago. Cracked on with stripping a couple of heads.
                        Last edited by Activ8; 19 July 2020, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• Have you used this type before? I’ve got one and I don’t rate it. Fiddly and slow to use.

Sent from a muppet
                          #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                            Have you used this type before? I’ve got one and I don’t rate it. Fiddly and slow to use.

Sent from a muppet
                            Yeh, not the fastest compared to the twin levered compressors at 3x the price, but it works and lies dormant untouched for years.

Comment

• You don't use a compressor to strip heads.

Put a small rag inside the compression chamber and sit the head on the bench - the rag holds the valve shut.
                              Get a fairly big long reach socket place on the top of the valve and give it a medium whack with a hammer, the spring compresses, the collets pop out and it all comes apart.

Works really well - I can strip a head in minutes, learnt this back in the day stripping 20v yammy heads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bohwemehdIk

just the first 2 minutes - ignore the rest.
                              Last edited by regcheeseman; 19 July 2020, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• Cheers Reg.

Comment

Working...
                                X