Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im not sure if i want to know .... or not?! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• Cheers guys. Something to read through there.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
        Tommo has that sign every where he goes!!!
        He has a temptation

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s
        Fetish. The word you are looking for is fetish.
        Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Finally some paint turned up but no hardener although ordered together. Yes I know its gloss black but I thought thats the best colour to buy and try as I have parts I could paint and practice with.

Comment

• Drawing sent to Fruitbat for the first eturbo components for a test design using the GT15 snail but using an oversized compressor wheel.

The cheap Chinese ESC comes with sensor support for the sensored motor too which is a nice bonus. The ESC can monitor the EMF generated by the motor and correct the 3 phase voltage delivery timing to smooth out the rpm speeds at high speeds, temps and torque delivery at lower speeds. It adds a lot of efficiency and component longevity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
              Looking forward to painting it AGAIN and doing a better job AGAIN!
              That's the idea, crack on. Your compressor will cope with that no bother, it's only a small panel..... or at least when the hardener turns up.

Do you have a local paint supplier?

I use Marlow and Smale or Marlow as they are now know - absolute brilliant service.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

That's the idea, crack on. Your compressor will cope with that no bother, it's only a small panel..... or at least when the hardener turns up.

Do you have a local paint supplier?

I use Marlow and Smale or Marlow as they are now know - absolute brilliant service.
                OK. Must be local to you https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/marlowpaintsuppliesltd , with postage added the overview made the overall costs expensive.
                I'll see who's local and consult.
                Last edited by Activ8; 3 July 2020, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• I've been looking over the van over the last week - assessing the body and paint damage, just glad I didn't have one of those white chalk bodywork pens - it could of developed an odd leopard skin within 30 minutes! Theres not a single panel - being critical - that doesn't need some attention. Might just mark it up virtually on some pics and break the work down again, I suppose I'm just forming a plan. No matter, focus on one part at a time.

I looked up Rust-Oleum / Auto last night - I hasten to add I'm not going in that direction (I think) - but just to look at the prep, tech and differences to 1K & 2K painting. TBH their prep and spec sheets follow the same principles as 2K, however the coverage of paint - critical with my above experience - can be 3x thicker (without a thinner) than 2K as a single coat, so thats three coats of 2k to match Rustos one. The single and real advantage I could see were the drying and recoat times, its so much easier to paint on the drive , gazebo , shed etc,. Although 2K dries similarly at 60degC, its still 12-24hours at 20degC. From the spiel they were marketing they also make a BIG play on "recoating anytime" it states! So maybe the tech specs have changed from old and it should be revisited as a serious alternative to 1K & 2K paints on your old builders van / delivery van?
                  Last edited by Activ8; 3 July 2020, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• 2K will dry inside an hour, curing takes longer.

TBH, I don't think it really matters what you use if you are going for a solid colour, the results will be down to the prep, the application and the finishing.

Colour choices are limited with rustoleum.

My dislike for rustoleum comes more from the mentality of some that use it, it is seen as a short cut, any easy option and as a result is not finished well, if you take the time and put in the effort it will be fine. There are no short cuts to a good paint finish - which is why it costs so much to have someone else do it for you.

But a serious alternative? Nah it'll never be that.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                      TBH, I don't think it really matters what you use if you are going for a solid colour, the results will be down to the prep, the application and the finishing.
                      Exactly. I found a quote for a full respray of the red day van this morning whilst sorting some filing. Staying with paprika red and the oem black bumpers it was for £3025+VAT in 2016. Lets assume £500 in materials so the rest is labour. 100 hours (?) is just £20 an hour and a short warranty.
                      Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                      Colour choices are limited with rustoleum.
                      There's enough in the range but its like an "IKEA" option.
                      Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                      But a serious alternative? Nah it'll never be that.
                      Never say never. Paint will be obsolete in a few years in favour of a recyclable plastic colour dye in any colour or texture you can dream of! Open Source printed panels recycling the "custom" ideas this forum can still remember! LoL

Comment

• The old Hermes fella turned up this morning apologising for missing my delivery - it was the Upol Hardener. Happy Daze!

Last edited by Activ8; 5 July 2020, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• So after receiving the hardener I jumped on the Upol site to get the tech guide & info which I've really found useful so far. According to the tech specs there are 4 hardener types relative to the applications ambient temperature.

Extra Fast - application at 5-10°C S2031
                          Fast - application at 10-15°C S2030
                          Standard - application at 15-30°C S2032
                          Slow - application at 30-40°C S2033

So thats new, I wasnt told this during my message exchange with the eBay Business Seller.

But all four speeds can be used on Upols System20 HS Primers, HS Basecoats & HS Clearcoats.

Interestingly the Upol paint (HS High Gloss Black S20610 & White S20600) purchased on eBay is no longer compliant under the EEC's VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) legislation for automotive refinishing within the EU and since 2007. It can continue to be used for industrial applications where installation complies with PG6/33 (for wood coatings) & PG6/23 (for coating of metals and plastics).

The base coat spec sheets do advise surface prep, hardener ratio/weight, nozzle sizes, nozzle pressure, # of coats, flash off time to apply coats and drying times at temps but I found some info that contradicts the hardener ambient working temps, it added +5°C to each hardener in the upper range. It covers the lot for the novice and less experienced.

I know theres a ton of brands out there which can be quite daunting for the newby painter and Upol is only one, but they have a well documented system, online info and great support www.u-pol.com/uk/

Comment

• Blimey just looked up the PG6/23 guidance , "Coating of metal and plastic is a Part B activity under the local authority pollution prevention and control (LAPCC) regime. 01June2014.

Comment

• Just checked my old Wagner electric spray gun. Max delivery rate is 140g/min which equates to 3.5cfm. Keep it in the shed for the tractor then!

Needed a new airline adaptor for the freebie gun I got with a pair of Keskin rims and I'll give it another clean but its only got a small paint holder 100mls.

During the search for a female Euro adaptor I found this in the bottom of the airline tool box. It must of come wiith the SIP compressor kit. 1.5mm nozzle but not gravity fed.
                              Last edited by Activ8; 6 July 2020, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• That Wager thing would do to paint a rough old pick up desert sand I spect.

Comment

Working...
                                X