Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T4 : Battle Across Time (2010 to present)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and still fitted it wrong ...... jeeeez.

Wanna take bets on whether the 'stainless' rusts before or after the seals go.....JOM struts are not good.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
      and still fitted it wrong ...... jeeeez.

Wanna take bets on whether the 'stainless' rusts before or after the seals go.....JOM struts are not good.
      Yep you're probably right. [emoji38] It works out at £6.50 per strut with a 2 year warranty, so who gives a friar tuck? [emoji848] Look good , feel good & SGS wanted silly money. Got some used ones off of a golf mk4 / Saxo / A3 so could end up building my own in time.

Comment

and still fitted it wrong ...... jeeeez.

Do you think the strut should be swapped round with the strut body fitted to the cross panel? Or is it OCD niggling you and the fact it's not straight? [emoji6]

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
          Do you think the strut should be swapped round with the strut body fitted to the cross panel? Or is it OCD niggling you and the fact it's not straight? [emoji6]
          That crossed my mind. Would have put it the other way up myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
            The guide showed this way but I'll change it before Xmas with a new bracket.

Comment

The guide showed this way but I'll change it before Xmas with a new bracket.
              It's right as it is

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

• Think I'll mount mine the way Hans' is on his vr

Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Nope - it's the right way up.

Gas struts have a small amount of oil in the body, you mount it with the rod down so the oil lubes the seal and the rod every time it travels.

Hans' looks tidy - what bracket is that?

Comment

• [emoji106]... I'm going to mount the bracket in front and tighter to the wing line.
                    Hans has VR6 OEM brackets (standard on vr6 model). Mine have been on order for 6-8 weeks.

Comment

Nope - it's the right way up.

Gas struts have a small amount of oil in the body, you mount it with the rod down so the oil lubes the seal and the rod every time it travels.

Hans' looks tidy - what bracket is that?
                      Yes , I see what you mean now. On say an estate car you put the main part on the body so closed the rod would face down hill. My ocd will have me checking tailgates for the rest of the day.
                      Last edited by S49; 23 November 2018, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• Said the ocd would kick in. Here's our old polo and dads new GTI. Bit confused now, not difficult I know. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0991.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	266031Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0992.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	266032

Comment

Said the ocd would kick in. Here's our old polo and dads new GTI. Bit confused now, not difficult I know.
                          When the bonnet is shut (hopefully it's most common position) Is the strut body not higher than the rod....i.e it points downhill when bonnet is shut?

Comment

• That's what I was turning over in my dull head.

Comment

• Ive been looking at the brake options recently, pulled an old file and had a search of the net for current pricing for the 313mm VR6 T4 upgrade brakes. Crikey.... really... scene tax slapped all over this option.... so got the part numbers then chased down the models before getting back on to ebay. I've just bought the OEM ATE front axle 313mm calipers and carriers for £28 (90 day warranty - haggled), new Mintex disks £40, new Borg & Beck pads £5. It represents a 12% braking force upgrade. Chuffed [emoji38]. A little work to refurb, paint & fit but it's a sensible cost effective upgrade and stays true to a T4.

Comment

Ive been looking at the brake options recently, pulled an old file and had a search of the net for current pricing for the 313mm VR6 T4 upgrade brakes. Crikey.... really... scene tax slapped all over this option.... so got the part numbers then chased down the models before getting back on to ebay. I've just bought the OEM ATE front axle 313mm calipers and carriers for £28 (90 day warranty - haggled), new Mintex disks £40, new Borg & Beck pads £5. It represents a 12% braking force upgrade. Chuffed [emoji38]. A little work to refurb, paint & fit but it's a sensible cost effective upgrade and stays true to a T4.

That's in good nick mate , my needed a bit more effort. But well worth it. I put m- tec in my but only b'cos i used them before and seams to be good stuff

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                                X