Page 40 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 975
  1. #391
    regcheeseman's Avatar Privileged
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    North Devon
    Posts
    3,609
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 1,137 Posts
    and still fitted it wrong ...... jeeeez.



    Wanna take bets on whether the 'stainless' rusts before or after the seals go.....JOM struts are not good.

  2. #392
    Activ8's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    10,414
    Thanks
    3,914
    Thanked 3,369 Times in 2,664 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by regcheeseman View Post
    and still fitted it wrong ...... jeeeez.



    Wanna take bets on whether the 'stainless' rusts before or after the seals go.....JOM struts are not good.
    Yep you're probably right. It works out at £6.50 per strut with a 2 year warranty, so who gives a friar tuck? Look good , feel good & SGS wanted silly money. Got some used ones off of a golf mk4 / Saxo / A3 so could end up building my own in time.


  3. #393
    Activ8's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    10,414
    Thanks
    3,914
    Thanked 3,369 Times in 2,664 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by regcheeseman View Post
    and still fitted it wrong ...... jeeeez.

    Do you think the strut should be swapped round with the strut body fitted to the cross panel? Or is it OCD niggling you and the fact it's not straight?


  4. #394
    S49's Avatar Privileged
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    worcestershire
    Posts
    12,388
    Thanks
    2,780
    Thanked 4,445 Times in 3,441 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
    Do you think the strut should be swapped round with the strut body fitted to the cross panel? Or is it OCD niggling you and the fact it's not straight?
    That crossed my mind. Would have put it the other way up myself.

  5. #395
    Activ8's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    10,414
    Thanks
    3,914
    Thanked 3,369 Times in 2,664 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by S49 View Post
    That crossed my mind. Would have put it the other way up myself.
    The guide showed this way but I'll change it before Xmas with a new bracket.


  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Activ8 For This Useful Post:

    S49 (22nd November 2018)

  7. #396
    Hans's Avatar Privileged
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,595
    Thanks
    802
    Thanked 735 Times in 520 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
    The guide showed this way but I'll change it before Xmas with a new bracket.
    It's right as it is

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

  8. #397
    rjhoy02's Avatar Privileged
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Walsall
    Posts
    2,049
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 555 Times in 475 Posts
    Think I'll mount mine the way Hans' is on his vr

    Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk

  9. #398
    regcheeseman's Avatar Privileged
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    North Devon
    Posts
    3,609
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by S49 View Post
    That crossed my mind. Would have put it the other way up myself.
    Nope - it's the right way up.

    Gas struts have a small amount of oil in the body, you mount it with the rod down so the oil lubes the seal and the rod every time it travels.

    Hans' looks tidy - what bracket is that?

  10. #399
    Activ8's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    10,414
    Thanks
    3,914
    Thanked 3,369 Times in 2,664 Posts

    ... I'm going to mount the bracket in front and tighter to the wing line.
    Hans has VR6 OEM brackets (standard on vr6 model). Mine have been on order for 6-8 weeks.


  11. #400
    S49's Avatar Privileged
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    worcestershire
    Posts
    12,388
    Thanks
    2,780
    Thanked 4,445 Times in 3,441 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Nope - it's the right way up.

    Gas struts have a small amount of oil in the body, you mount it with the rod down so the oil lubes the seal and the rod every time it travels.

    Hans' looks tidy - what bracket is that?
    Yes , I see what you mean now. On say an estate car you put the main part on the body so closed the rod would face down hill. My ocd will have me checking tailgates for the rest of the day.
    Last edited by S49; 23rd November 2018 at 06:31 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •