Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Pavs's Avatar You obviously just chat rubbish (Silver)
    Thanks
    My 2.4d runs mid way on the gauge, even after the turbo conversion with intercooler

Sent from my SM-G935F using Just T4s

Paul Knight's Avatar Virgin
    Thanks
    My 1993 2.4D Karmann Gipsy (i.e. a big old coachbuilt camper) suddenly started to run approx 10-deg warmer than usual.
    It always ran at 90 but would rise to 100 on long hills/when towing etc however, following the winter lay-up, the gauge is now reading 10-deg hotter. i.e. it sits at 100 now / occasionally rises to 105/110 under extreme load.
    I've replaced the temp sensors (top and bottom) and flushed the system etc etc yet it remains the same.
    I took it to a local garage and they couldn't find any obvious issues. They suggested it might be a gauge issue however, it seems odd that it runs/rises exactly as it did before albeit 10-deg warmer?
    I've yet to fit an auxiliary gauge however, I have used an infra-red temp gun thingy to compare the top hose / bottle / rad etc with a friend's 1.9TD and they appear to be within a degree or two of each other at each point.

I've covered approx 4k miles through the uk/europe (hills/towing etc etc) this summer and, while it still bothers me, it seems that, other than reading almost exactly 10-deg higher than before (through all driving conditions / weather etc), it runs/performs exactly as before (and doesn't ever creep any higher etc).

OK, maybe the gauge is at fault but, I think I'll try a fresh thermostat next... any other suggestions?

Activ8's Avatar Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,634 Times in 2,847 Posts

Are your rad fans kicking in?

S49's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,727 Times in 3,614 Posts
    Was going to suggest a fresh thermostat, if after that and a flush if it don't use water or over heat it may well be the gauge playing up.

Paul Knight's Avatar Virgin
    Thanks
    re rad fans - yes, they seem to be working fine
    warmed up (@ 100 now) they kick in and out as before (@90) / i.e. don't appear to be running any harder than before. (I've replaced the temp sensor for the fans, too)

re: thermostat - It isn't using any water (and has been flushed etc) and hasn't shown any signs of overheating (i.e. it runs exactly as it always has, albeit showing 10-deg higher on the gauge)
    I guess a new 'stat is the next step - then perhaps I need to find a spare set of gauges?
    Last edited by Paul Knight; 3rd July 2019 at 01:40 AM.

Activ8's Avatar Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,634 Times in 2,847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Knight View Post
    re rad fans - yes, they seem to be working fine
    warmed up (@ 100 now) they kick in and out as before (@90) / i.e. don't appear to be running any harder than before. (I've replaced the temp sensor for the fans, too)

re: thermostat - It isn't using any water (and has been flushed etc) and hasn't shown any signs of overheating (i.e. it runs exactly as it always has, albeit showing 10-deg higher on the gauge)
    I guess a new 'stat is the next step - then perhaps I need to find a spare set of gauges?
    How do you know it's 100C?
    The AJT 2.5TDI "blue cluster" gauges are mapped in the cluster so that at temp ie pointing at 90 on the gauge is actually a temp of between 75-115degC.

Apologies I'm not ofiah with the 2.4Ds cluster / temp gauge. If it's the old style "pre 1999" then it could be worth some contact cleaner on the clusters 28 pin socket and plug and secondly try a seperate temp gauge or dip test the coolant?