Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    T4-Portugal's Avatar Now you're learning (Copper)
    Thanks

2.4D Temperature Question...

So, usual problem with temp gauge not working or rather, working intermittently.

Decided to get an auxiliary gauge fitted for safety. Since then the temp gauge has been working all the time DOH!

However, just come back from a run in the mountains and on the climbs the temperature on the aux gauge crept up to 100+ a little bit. The standard gauge remained at half way.

I obviously don't want to be needing a new head gasket NOR new engine due to overheating.

Any one got suggestions on a) why the temperature should be going so high? b) why two gauges are reading differently? c) What is the MAX temperature that the engine can handle before going bang?

Thanks in advance.

S49's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,187 Times in 3,301 Posts
    The system is pressurised to raise the boiling point. Our vr6 corrado runs at about 90 to 100. Think the fan kicks in at 120 so you may not have a problem.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to S49 For This Useful Post:

T4-Portugal (20th May 2018)

Activ8's Avatar Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,203 Times in 2,576 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T4-Portugal View Post
    Any one got suggestions on a) why the temperature should be going so high? b) why two gauges are reading differently? c) What is the MAX temperature that the engine can handle before going bang?

Thanks in advance.
    a) 100 degC is not high and well within the engines operating temp. b) the vans temp gauge scaling is set so that it shows 90degC when the water temp is anywhere between 74 and 115 degC (common on all VAG vehicles) your other gauge is reporting it more accurately. c) think it's 130deg C but the van will go into limp mode and also flash a MIL to stop. Just flush the coolant fluids once a year.

Thought your engine was a 2.5tdi ACV? If so scrap limp mode but you should get an audible and visual warning.....

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s
    Last edited by Activ8; 20th May 2018 at 09:31 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Activ8 For This Useful Post:

S49 (20th May 2018),T4-Portugal (20th May 2018)

rjhoy02's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    The aux temp gauge will read the true temperature,the dash one will read half way for normal operating temperature.
    Activ8 could explain it better and why

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rjhoy02 For This Useful Post:

rjhoy02's Avatar Privileged
    Thanks
    ......as I said......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rjhoy02 For This Useful Post:

T4-Portugal's Avatar Now you're learning (Copper)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Activ8 View Post
    a) 100 degC is not high and well within the engines operating temp. b) the vans temp gauge scaling is set so that it shows 90degC when the water temp is anywhere between 74 and 115 degC (common on all VAG vehicles) your other gauge is reporting it more accurately. c) think it's 130deg C but the van will go into limp mode and also flash a MIL to stop. Just flush the coolant fluids once a year.

Thought your engine was a 2.5tdi ACV? If so scrap limp mode but you should get an audible and visual warning.....

Activ8 as helpful as always. Thank you!

The engine, which I always forget to mention is a 2.4D (non turbo)

So climbing a pretty steep hill, for several kms, in 27 degrees of full sun isn't considered an issue when the aux gauge starts climbing to 105C?

The standard gauge, which has worked perfectly since the aux gauge was fitted, sits at just below mid way, what seems like constantly.

The engine was reconditioned less than a year ago and I always use antifreeze mix when topping up the water. I was thinking about flushing the whole cooling system as a next step IF necessary.

Do your comments still apply to the 1997 2.4D engine?

Activ8's Avatar Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,203 Times in 2,576 Posts

Just checked the workshop manual and cannot see anything other than the thermostat fully opens at 105degC. I don't see why it would be any different than the tdi's ... but others with more 2.4d experience might be able to assist.

huskyman's Avatar You obviously just chat rubbish (Silver)
    Thanks
    Hy. My. Temp gauge that does work constantly sits at 3/4 until the fans kick in and take it to halfway. Mine is a 2.4 turbo. Is yours an early van

Good luck

burt's Avatar Maybe you actually know something (Bronze)
    Thanks
    Mines a 2.4 d and the gauge sits just above half way until I go up a big hill then it sits just under 3/4. I've been told that anywhere from half to 3/4 is normal.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Just T4s

huskyman's Avatar You obviously just chat rubbish (Silver)
    Thanks
    Hi. Yeah I would not be worried by that at all when it goes over 3/4 then you have a problem somewhere

Good luck