Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi. Si. How is the doka coming along

Comment

• Hi Paul, hoping for some updates this evening. Done a deal with Molly doka day today gardening and tip runs sunday.

Comment

• ​​​​​Si. Got to do something along those lines myself to allow fishing weekends

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
          Surely you need a 5 hole gasket.........................one for each cylinder.
          Ah so that’s why I’m only running on 3 pots hahaha.

Sent from a muppet
          #vanlife

Comment

• All the valves lapped in apart from the new one I’m waiting on .

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

• What condition were the valves in Kev?
              Any pitting?
              Tolerances on the valve stems OK?
              Did you manually lap them or cheat with the drill?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Not sure of the reason but the old tractor guy that used to come round for a chat reckoned you shouldn't do em with a drill, something to do with just going one way not sure but he was a cleaver old fella.

Comment

• I have a lapping tool thingymejig. You know the sort, the wooden stick with the sucker on each end. The kit came with 2. Piece of piss to use. I wouldn’t use a drill myself, it’s easy enough with the suckery chopstick things. If that takes too long then the seats probably need recutting.

Kev knows the score. Interesting read mate, thanks for the pics.

Sent from a muppet
                  #vanlife

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                    What condition were the valves in Kev?
                    Any pitting?
                    Tolerances on the valve stems OK?
                    Did you manually lap them or cheat with the drill?

The valves are in tolerance on the stems, I checked them with a micrometer , I also checked the valve length and diameter , 2 inlet valves had some pitting but these cleaned up by using the coarser grade of lapping paste .

I lapped them in using the wooden stick with the rubber suction cups on either end ,it took me about 3 hrs to lap 9 valves in as the valve seats in the head were in good condition , once I get the new valve and other parts I can start rebuilding the head .

Comment

• I have a valve seat grinder If the seats were bad , but I shouldn’t be mentioning that as I can hear the cogs in Robs head turning now

3 angle valve seats

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                        Not sure of the reason but the old tractor guy that used to come round for a chat reckoned you shouldn't do em with a drill, something to do with just going one way not sure but he was a cleaver old fella.
                        He must have been an old chap as modern drills have reverse now

Comment

• I double checked the valves again and one was a bit shorter than the others 0.15 mm and it was running ever so slightly out of true.

The Haynes manual does’nt give a run out tolerance , so I made the decision to change the valve .

All the valves lapped in , valve ‘float ‘ in the valve guide checked and was within tolerance .

New valve stem oil seals fitted , new cam shaft oil seals fitted, new hydraulic tappets fitted .

Cam shaft end float checked and within tolerance .

Head now ready to fit .

Head fitted and torqued down and injectors fitted ( pic taken before injectors were fitted )

I’m waiting on a few more parts before I can crack on and fit everything else , new manifold nuts on order and I’m going to change the crank shaft oil seal ( cam belt end ) while I’m at it .

Last edited by Fruitbat; 12 September 2020, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• Made my own cam shaft locking tool.

Comment

• Your just showing off now.

Comment

• How much for the camshzft lock out tool Kev. Just the job.

Comment

Working...
                                X