No announcement yet.

Longish lay off now black smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shouldn't get water in fuel, plastic tank not much chance of moisture ingress. Have you changed fuel filter? Its often something simple don't loose faith mate.

Comment

Not done fuel filter. Logged on to see if that was worth it so god thinking.
      Also, wife has reminded me that for an MOT and the last time it was driven, before sitting in the cold and wet for a while, I replaced the spill pipes or what ever they are called on a VW. Used a well reviewed kit but not VW. Not exactly technical and well within my capabilities I assumed but could I have screwed anything here?

Comment

No mate, if pipes are on and new that's done, so shouldn't be anything selve inflicted there.

Comment

Even filters are a mine field. Fuel ones run from 11 to 35 quid, all claiming to be the correct thing. Same with air.
          Fuel additives. Reviews on line seem split between being a waste of money and worth their cost. What have people used?

Comment

Get a Fram or even a vdub fuel filter and you wont go far wrong and wont cost too many pennys.

Comment

Summarise what you've now done since opening the thread and what the current status is please.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

Checked air filter. Looks clean and is now about 600 miles old. EGR blanking plate fitted. Vehicle driven about 50 miles over 3 trips. Hard where possible on small local roads. That's it.
                Currently better than it was but won't rev out especially under load eg up hill and still some back smoke when trying this. Sounds a bit hesitant/rough when being driven hard.
                That's it.

Comment

Update
                  New air and fuel filters. Plus EGR plate. Seems better driving normally but revving hard up hill sees much black smoke but also its coughing a bits and still sounds rough. As its only a 1.9TD it hasn't exactly got a stack of oomph so does need some welly up hills.

Comment

Another thought. A mate has suggested the "valve" thingy on the back of the turbo. Looks vacuum operated. Should I be able to move it? Also what about a waste fuel injector? Haven't worked out if such a thing is on this engine yet though.

Comment

Carrying on. Gave up and asked my local garage to look. Too busy but suggested that the symptoms, running beautifully until I need to floor it then nothing, sound like the turbo not kicking in and they suggested the turbo vacuum actuator (my "valve" above). " people now suggesting that. I know it should move but should the actuating rod be pulling the arm/valve thingy or pushing. Too stiff to get it to do either. Hmm is this now the issue?
                      Worth a look and how do I deal with this sticking actuator?

Comment

Had a prod at the actuator. The rod does move, moving the arm through about 90 degrees. Too stiff after that for me. Is that enough?

Comment

Update.
                          Sorted. Exhaust incl cat was near solid, must have been getting that way for a while butas it was new to me I just thought that it was what 1.9's were like. Different vehicle

Comment

I once had a cavalier that wouldn't rev above 2500 rpm. Then it would overheat. I changed the fuel filter and cut it open to find it was clogged solid with rusty gunge. Different car after that.

Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mattsccm View Post
                              Update.
                              Sorted. Exhaust incl cat was near solid, must have been getting that way for a while butas it was new to me I just thought that it was what 1.9's were like. Different vehicle
                              Nice one , glad you got to the bottom of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X