Whirring noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirring noise

I have a 2003 2.5TDI T4 I recently had a completely flat battery and had to take the battery off to charge it, when I reconnected it there was a whirring noise coming from what sounds like a fan. Has anyone any idea what this could be and what it does? It's obviously that whirring continuously that flattened my battery. Thanks

It could be the bearings in the alternator that Have gone that would cause the battery not to charge

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Hi Wendy and welcome to the forum. Does the noise happen all the time when the battery is connected? Is it only when the ignition is on?

Comment

Could be the auxillary water pump, electrics will do strange things when battery voltage low. Or is it with engine running. Have often noticed when i have jump started a vehicle with flat battery while the alternator is working like hell to charge battery the alternator will sound noisey then quieten down as the battery charge builds up. Oh hello and welcome.

Comment

Hello and welcome Wendy, I am sorry I can't help with the noise, but the guys on here are always helpful.

Comment

Don't wanna sound like I'm taking the piss but, it's not the heater fan switched on inside is it ? I've done this before and not realised [emoji23]

Sell my T4 !!! I'd rather stick wasps up my butt.

Comment

Heater fan is off, I'd thought of that I think it is the auxiliary water pump, it's running with the engine not running and the ignition off. I've had to disconnect the battery to stop it going flat again, as soon as I connect it again the pump starts up with ignition off. A garage has unplugged it now so I can use the van, but what does it do and what turns this on and off? Thanks for any advice.

Comment

On the coolant flange on the right hand front side of the engine there's 2 sensors, I believe the bottom ones the aux water pump sensor

Sell my T4 !!! I'd rather stick wasps up my butt.

Comment

It pumps coolant around the engine at certain temps, on our corrado it runs for ages after a run. Not the end of the world if left unplugged but as red says think the sensor is in the coolant flange. Loads on fleabay you may even find a deal with flange and the sensors as a job lot. We did with the stat housing on the VR6.

Comment

Originally posted by Wendy View Post
                    Heater fan is off, I'd thought of that I think it is the auxiliary water pump, it's running with the engine not running and the ignition off. I've had to disconnect the battery to stop it going flat again, as soon as I connect it again the pump starts up with ignition off. A garage has unplugged it now so I can use the van, but what does it do and what turns this on and off? Thanks for any advice.
                    My aux water pump runs on some times, if I pull the fuse it stops. Hasn’t done it for a while but when it does you can hear it when all else is stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                      It pumps coolant around the engine at certain temps, on our corrado it runs for ages after a run. Not the end of the world if left unplugged but as red says think the sensor is in the coolant flange. Loads on fleabay you may even find a deal with flange and the sensors as a job lot. We did with the stat housing on the VR6.
                      Thank you all for your replies, I'll tell my mechanic and he can replace the sensor. But I'm glad it won't do any harm to drive it without it.

Comment

Working...
                      X