• Show
Clear All

• Strip down and restoration...........

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130402-00672.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	272022Hi all

This is my 2003 2.5tdi, originally a panel van and bought back in 2007ish from a local conversion firm. It was to replace an older R reg 1.9td which I had for a few years, but I needed something to use as a daily as my old Mk2 16v Golf was getting towards retirement!

When I bought it I wanted something with lowish mileage and I could just step into due to having small kids, recent divorce and after doing so many previous conversions really couldn't be arsed, so I picked this up with alloys, crappy red springs, a level of panelled/carpeted interior and a Mazda bongo rear seat. It was fine for a while and paint was lush, this is one of the earliest pics I have but it was on different alloys back then................

I don't have any interior pics prior to the current ones, I was very lax at taking pics of the van.
    However, as the family grew and the requirement came to have 3 full seat belts thoughts turned to replacing the bongo seats. I looked at RIB seat/bed setups but at the time a brand new T5 caravelle leather seat came up at a extremely reasonable £1000 so I snapped his hand off!
    Fitting was not without its struggles but with help (pics) from a guy called tigger from the 'other' forum I managed to sort it and get them in, again not many pics fitting them but there they are, as if by magic! ....................

Name:	WP_20150829_15_49_09_Pro.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	262624

Name:	WP_20150829_15_49_01_Pro.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	262625Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150829_15_49_23_Pro.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	262626

They are fitted on 2 rails bought direct from VW, then cut in half as you need 4, I didn't need the full length the rails offered but they do move quite a long way back and forth along the van.
    They fold forward or flat back, I then built a quick parcel shelf thing for the top half of the bed.

Not long after full caravelle plastics followed together with Saab 95 aero seats in leather to match the back seat. curtains etc were fitted and because I never really wanted/needed a full camper set up it was completed and used for a number of years as is.
    Last edited by UncleTravellingMatt; 15 January 2018, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum pal, looks like a great van.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Name:	20171113_151333.jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	262627However, after a number of years the paint started going south, lacquer started lifting, rust around the screen, few niggles with the interior and changes I wanted to make I decided that the time had come for a make over/respray/ interior retrim!!!
        I have a few ideas I want to do, some might happen, some are probably beyond my expertise but between myself and my lad we have a plan....................... so the strip down is underway...............

Comment

Looks nice mate, but we like pics and more pics[emoji1303][emoji1303]

Comment

Originally posted by Roccodog View Post
            Looks nice mate, but we like pics and more pics[emoji1303][emoji1303]
            Cheers, will try and get some pics up as the day progresses, here are a few but you can see how she's aged.....................Click image for larger version

Name:	20171113_152601.jpg
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	262628Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20130405-00673.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	262629Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151003_09_42_46_Pro.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	262630

Comment

Looks a nice looking van there mate!!! Be even better when you've done all your work on it. [emoji1303]

Comment

Nice vans (front and back)
                What's that thing between? [emoji12] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
                  Nice vans (front and back)
                  What's that thing between? [emoji12] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s
                  Agreed , it's a shit sandwich...

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

Haha. Was at woolacombe sands when i came out if reception they had appeared behind me?!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleTravellingMatt View Post
                      Haha. Was at woolacombe sands when i came out if reception they had appeared behind me?!
                      That's why I left the tow bar on mine, to get out of the tight spots like this! [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

A couple of today spent stripping loads off the van.........Click image for larger version

Name:	20180131_124035.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	262989

Name:	front amended.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	262990
                        Last edited by UncleTravellingMatt; 1 February 2018, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Staying the same colour and will need some remedial mechanical work after some issues but went out to the workshop and played on ther mirror with some metal flake in the lacquer.........
                          So rather than sticking with straight red its going to have a slight sparkle!!! Ignore the run and thumb print, pic ain't that great but gives an idea
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by UncleTravellingMatt View Post
                            Staying the same colour and will need some remedial mechanical work after some issues but went out to the workshop and played on ther mirror with some metal flake in the lacquer.........
                            So rather than sticking with straight red its going to have a slight sparkle!!! Ignore the run and thumb print, pic ain't that great but gives an idea
                            I like it!! Look forward too seeing the results buddy. Best of luck

Comment

Cheers, gonna be a while before its out the shop

Comment

Working...
                              X