No announcement yet.

replacing engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know the later ECUs will throw a fault for no communication from auto box if you run an auto ecu in a manual car, not sure if the t4 ecu talks to the box, but going through other way shouldn't fault. You're right the torque could be an issue, those boxes are fragile enough as it is!

Comment

Originally posted by d-9 View Post
      I know the later ECUs will throw a fault for no communication from auto box if you run an auto ecu in a manual car, not sure if the t4 ecu talks to the box, but going through other way shouldn't fault. You're right the torque could be an issue, those boxes are fragile enough as it is!
      I cannot say with any certainty, but looking at the EEPROM file for the ACV for example, theres 3 seperated memory address blocks, first for Manual gearbox, second for 4x4 and third for Auto.
      The blocks of data are similar but the maps are different and the values contained within them different. There are specific gearbox maps and switches.

If I get time this week I'll dig a little deeper.

Comment

I suspect you're right, it's probably torque limited for the auto (and 4x4...Wonder if that's why my mates 102tdi is so slow...)

I assume the ecu can be set to aito/manual/4x4 using vagcom

Comment

Your pals T4 is probably running constantly in semi-limp mode!

I took a quick look this morning, and almost all of the maps are different, restricting fuel / boost / torque etc across the board.
          Didn't bother looking at the switches, as theres a lot. Too many changes for a VCDS switch/channel, so unlikely.

What VCDS codes are being flagged up?

I could take a look if you can read his file?
          No promises, but I do have a manual ACV file to compare your pals against.

Comment

Can you read these over odb, or do I need to devolved?

Last time I looked, no codes were getting flagged and the live blocks were near what I would expect, I need to take another look.

Comment

Originally posted by d-9 View Post
              Can you read these over odb, or do I need to devolved?

Last time I looked, no codes were getting flagged and the live blocks were near what I would expect, I need to take another look.
              You need to read the ECU EEPROM? Yes you would use the K-Line/OBD port.
              Happy to help,

Comment

Misunderstanding

Originally posted by wino_pete View Post
                Hi all I am new to this site, I have an Auto sleeper Trident camper 2001 T4 with a 2.4 ltr, Diesel engine that is gutless and only does 28 mpg.
                I have been offered a 2.5 turbo engine fitted for £1500. I have been told it is faster and more economical.
                I am looking for opinions on this, thanks Pete
                Hello again, the camper van was built by a company called Auto sleeper, it has a manual gear box, the guy who offered me the engine swap is a diesel mechanic of many years he says that he will leave in the mechanical fuel pump so no need for extra electrics. Pete

Comment

Hello again, the camper van was built by a company called Auto sleeper, it has a manual gear box, the guy who offered me the engine swap is a diesel mechanic of many years he says that he will leave in the mechanical fuel pump so no need for extra electrics. Pete
                  Hi Pete,
                  So the mechanic is actually swapping the two engines over -
                  block and head?
                  keeping the turbo fitted, but with a fixed low boost?
                  keeping the high pressure 220bar TDI injectors?
                  changing pump for the low pressure 2.4d pump?
                  keeping your 2.4d gearbox?

I am making some assumptions because the detail is light, so you cannot write-it-off, but....
                  It reads to me that you're just jumping out of the frying pan?
                  And paying £1500 for the privilege...

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                    Hi Pete,
                    So the mechanic is actually swapping the two engines over -
                    block and head?
                    keeping the turbo fitted, but with a fixed low boost?
                    keeping the high pressure 220bar TDI injectors?
                    changing pump for the low pressure 2.4d pump?
                    keeping your 2.4d gearbox?

I am making some assumptions because the detail is light, so you cannot write-it-off, but....
                    It reads to me that you're just jumping out of the frying pan?
                    And paying £1500 for the privilege...
                    More eloquently put, but that was my assumption too.

So your diesel mechanic is afraid of wires but is quite happy to provide a hideous bodge job?

I knew the 1500 price was too good for a decent job

Comment

Pete,
                      fundamentally, your 2.4d engine is a very good engine.
                      So heres some constructive help....

Suggestion 1
                      Spend the money on finding out why its not running right.
                      Timing - check and correct, belts tensioners etc. etc..
                      Injectors - get them pulled out, cleaned and refurbished. PM Reg and get a price.
                      Pump - get it pulled off, tested , cleaned and refurbished. PM Reg and get a price.
                      Full service.

Suggestion 2
                      Ask the diesel mechanic to fit the full 2.5TDI and electrics.

Suggestion 3
                      Buy the full 2.5TDI, gearbox and electrics from the mechanic and find someone who can transfer it all over.
                      Resell your 2.4d, gear box etc.

Suggestion 4
                      Suggestion 1 + low boost turbo upgrade once its running right. PM Reg and get a price.

Comment

decision

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                        Pete,
                        fundamentally, your 2.4d engine is a very good engine.
                        So heres some constructive help....

Suggestion 1
                        Spend the money on finding out why its not running right.
                        Timing - check and correct, belts tensioners etc. etc..
                        Injectors - get them pulled out, cleaned and refurbished. PM Reg and get a price.
                        Pump - get it pulled off, tested , cleaned and refurbished. PM Reg and get a price.
                        Full service.

Suggestion 2
                        Ask the diesel mechanic to fit the full 2.5TDI and electrics.

Suggestion 3
                        Buy the full 2.5TDI, gearbox and electrics from the mechanic and find someone who can transfer it all over.

Resell your 2.4d, gear box etc.

Suggestion 4
                        Suggestion 1 + low boost turbo upgrade once its running right. PM Reg and get a price.
                        Thanks M8 I've decided not to go ahead with engine swap I was unsure about it and looking at your post helped me decide.
                        It is a good engine that has only done 80K miles it needs new cam belts so will have that done, Better the devil you know and all that. Pete.

Comment

Thanks M8 I've decided not to go ahead with engine swap I was unsure about it and looking at your post helped me decide.
                          It is a good engine that has only done 80K miles it needs new cam belts so will have that done, Better the devil you know and all that. Pete.
                          A clear decision is a good decision Pete.
                          80k is nothing on these engines, and they will continue to serve you well IF you regularly give it the TLC they need.
                          Belts if needed are a good start mate, but plan to service the pump and injectors.
                          Pulling the manifolds off and giving them a good clean will help no end, the unburnt diesel can crystalize solid and build up in the ports creating restrictions.
                          For very little money and investment the vans "mojo" can be returned to "as new".
                          The van and engine will then continue to give you great service.
                          Keep the forum updated with your progress.Regards.

Comment

Working...
                          X