Another new guy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new guy...

Hi all, I just bought an ex AA van with more miles than the distance to the moon, no seriously, 245,000 plus. Everything seems to work mechanically though and no signs of any serious rust, I guess those guys used to look after them well.

Anyone have any good gen on the old AA vans, how long the AA had them, what all the buttons and switches do, added extras etc?

Also I desperately want to install some three point seat belts on the rear seats but don't really know where to start. It's a VW2 chassis and they have stronger pilars for attaching belts apparently, is about all I've managed to gather so far.

Any help much appreciated and looking forward to getting to know you all.

Obligatory van pic below, or above or wherever it puts it!

Cheers
    Dan

Sent from my SM-G950F using Just T4s

Welcome mate, as a very previous thread that Milage isn’t that bad. Nice looking van.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Welcome mate, nice looking van [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

wife’s van 2.5tdi not ex AA but still high miles been to moon an back 345000 still going strong no issues, all seat and seat belt holes are in van so fitting a triple seat with standard seatbelt is easy , enjoy mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice vans there guys! The mileage is up there but just goes to prove these vehicles can do it!
          Just look after them ! [emoji1303]

Comment

Nice van buddy, looks clean and as others have said don't worry about the miles. If looked after these things are bullet proof. The guys on here are full of info if you ever need it, a great bunch.
            Last edited by mick1070; 13 January 2018, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Morning. Nice van.[emoji108]

Comment

Another new guy...

Nice bus and the best colour too!! Plates only two letters apart. I’ll take a picture of my rear seats and belts when I get the chance. Are your rears doubles?

Great bunch on here and I’m sure you’ll get all the answers you need. If not, there is a dedicated ex aa van page on “ farcebook”

Last edited by tommo1366; 13 January 2018, 08:03 AM.
                Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Comment

Hello and welcome.

Comment

Thanks everyone, wasn't expecting so many responses, I'm up early with the little man. I think I'm gonna like it here.

That's a bit mad another van same as mine with almost identical plate. Cheers for that Tommo. Would be great to see pics of your seatbelts. Mine has a triple seat in the back, from a caravelle I believe, did have a double in the middle but took those out and sold them.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Just T4s

Comment

Mines the original double in the back, one 3 point belt and a lap. May help.

I reckon they must have come off the production line together. Fwends.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Comment

Another new guy...

Welcome to the club! Ex AA club I mean... The best colour... Someone mentioned an ex AA only meet a while ago...??

The switches, is there like a bank of them on the dash? If so, it was for the lights that were on the roof. You had the flashing beacons and lights to light up the area around the van, that’s what I got told.

I removed all mine, miles of wires. If you do, don’t bin the fuse box mounted on the bulkhead under the bonnet. Could come in handy. You could even use the switches for something...

As for seatbelts, you’re right. Being a wv2, you got seatbelt mounts right through to the rear of the van. I think it’s only the panel vans that doesn’t have them.

The AA had my van from 2001-2006. Apparently, and I’m not sure if this is true, the AA had the vans re-conditioned before they went to auction... Can anyone clarify this? You used to be able to write to the AA and ask for the service history for your van, think they stopped doing it a few years ago

Last edited by Snowrider; 13 January 2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Can't clarify any of that, but welcome to the best T4 place on the net!!
                          I do know that all the AA vans were the over weight heavy ones so you have to be careful as far as wheels are concerned, making sure that the plated weight is less than the load rating on the wheels per axle.

Comment

Welcome bud [emoji106][emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Just T4s

Comment

Welcome to the party

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                              X