No announcement yet.

Pallet wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am not a sparky, but i am not sure if u use the chassis for the 12v , can u use the 240 earth on the same chassis? Could the ecu get damaged? I would just carry a separate earth cable through.
    If u weld a car u should disconnect the battery....
    Interesting.... i would like to know

Sent from my SM-T810 using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans View Post
      I am not a sparky, but i am not sure if u use the chassis for the 12v , can u use the 240 earth on the same chassis? Could the ecu get damaged? I would just carry a separate earth cable through.
      If u weld a car u should disconnect the battery....
      Interesting.... i would like to know

This was what gave me concern, and why I phoned the inverter manufacturer, he was the only guy who was definite it was fine. If I carry a separate earth cable through where do I earth it to bearing in mind I need a common earth for the split charge system.

Comment

• Pallet wood

I brought the inverter and RCBO set up off a guy who brought his van off a sparky, I’ve left the wiring as he had it so you’d hope he had it right. If that makes sense.
        Last edited by ricrhys; 10 March 2019, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• I had a look on different websites and found both versions. The reason to connect the 240 volt earth to the chassis is ,if the life wire comes lose and touch the chassis u get a electric shock if the rcb is not connected b'cos the rcb simply wouldn't work.
          But no one could answer the question 240 and 12 volt car electric (ecu) potential interference ore damage.
          Sure someone here must know.

Comment

• Are the ECU'S common terminals fused? To protect it from being jumped incorrectly or the battery being fitted incorrectly?

Isn't there specific standards called ISO7637 P1 & P2, which cover load dumps and reverse polarity connections that manufacturers sign up to?
            Last edited by Activ8; 11 March 2019, 08:54 PM.

Comment

• Pallet wood

It’s an absolute mine field looking online, I’ve spoken to two different techs at the inverter manufacturer and they’ve assured me how I have wired it is the correct way, they’ve also assured me that the load (hair straighteners getting up to temp draw about 30a for about 15sec resulting in red lights then it all goes green when they are up to temp) are close to the tolerances of the inverter but not beyond its capabilities, they have designed it with loads of protection and a massive safety factor so it’ll just shut off if it gets beyond the specs so not to worry. I know this doesn’t necessarily answer the earth problem but they seem to really know their shit and are telling me not to worry.

Comment

• In my opinion the can't be that dangerous , otherwise I'm sure you would t be able to buy them online or off the shelf, they surely should be (non competent) safe for any d.i.y person., Otherwise their would be something in place saying professional fitting only , and wouldn't be as easily purchased. ( But that's just my opinion and not sound advice as I wouldn't want anyone getting a shock ) fit at your own risk.

Come rain or shine I'm out in mine!!

Sent from my Nokia 5.1 using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                X