Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 high idle.

Evening all....

I’ve noticed my van seems to be revving high at idle. Around the 1000rpm on the Rev counter and sounds a little fast/high as well. Is there anything that can cause this or an easy way found it? Maybe a idle adjust screw etc??

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

There should be an idle screw on it. Not familiar with the 2.4, most pumps have or did have an idle and a max engine speed stop/ screw on the throttle

Comment

Is the cold start handle on dash sticking slightly ? Check that first

Sent from my HTC 10 using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnybigballs85 View Post
        Evening all....

I’ve noticed my van seems to be revving high at idle. Around the 1000rpm on the Rev counter and sounds a little fast/high as well. Is there anything that can cause this or an easy way found it? Maybe a idle adjust screw etc??

Cheers

Might it be external temperature related?

Comment

Been the same since the summer. I’ve tried the handle but that feels ok to be honest. I’m wondering if it’s the throttle cable sticking a bit?

Comment

Check that the tension on the cable isn't too tight then reset the idle speed on the throttle stop screw. Would be interesting to see if the idle speed creeps back up on its own again.

Comment

See if this helps Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC11911.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	262331

Comment

Cheers Simon I’ll have a play at the weekend, just done all the injector seals on my corsa! That’s enough oil until the weekend!

Comment

Would the timing effect the idle speed? It still goes ok and pulls in every gear etc but does sound ‘clunky’ on tick over, is that a sign of timing?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnybigballs85 View Post
                    Would the timing effect the idle speed? It still goes ok and pulls in every gear etc but does sound ‘clunky’ on tick over, is that a sign of timing?

Nope - fuel will effect idle, not timing.

If you up the fuel you have to turn the idle down.

As per the drawing above.

Undo the throttle lever stop quite a long way (5 turns)

Adjust (idle) residual fuel screw (vertical adjuster with 10mm locknut) to get the idle right.

Bring the throttle stop screw back up until it just starts to effect the idle then back it of 1 turn.

If you have cold start, the handle can go back on the dash but the lever may have seized on the pump - cant remember if the 2.4 mechanism has just cold advance or cold advance and fast idle - worth checking the lever on the back of the pump is back against its stop.

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                      Nope - fuel will effect idle, not timing.

If you up the fuel you have to turn the idle down.

As per the drawing above.

Undo the throttle lever stop quite a long way (5 turns)

Adjust (idle) residual fuel screw (vertical adjuster with 10mm locknut) to get the idle right.

Bring the throttle stop screw back up until it just starts to effect the idle then back it of 1 turn.

If you have cold start, the handle can go back on the dash but the lever may have seized on the pump - cant remember if the 2.4 mechanism has just cold advance or cold advance and fast idle - worth checking the lever on the back of the pump is back against its stop.
                      Cheers reg will check all the above. I didn’t think it would but very limited knowledge so thought I would check. I seem to remember someone saying about the brake vacuum pump causing a cluttering sound as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X