T4 1.8T in Cornwall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love the Van!

I have a different question though, what drone did you use?

I fancy buying one but haven't got much money so was wondering if you had any recommendations etc?
    My adventures blog

https://vwt4trips.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 7ommy_D View Post
      The 1.8T conversion is far easier than people think so I've been thinking of doing a "T4 1.8T How To" video series? Would people be interested in that?
      I can just imagine the look on the face of the mechanic I use when I tell him I need a new engine and to watch YouTube to see how it’s fitted! 🤣

Really is an awesome conversion! Sounds wicked!

How does the van go? My brother had a golf chipped to 180 bhp and that thing was mental!

Sent from The Alpine Express using Just T4s

Comment

The 1.8T conversion is far easier than people think so I've been thinking of doing a "T4 1.8T How To" video series?
        Would people be interested in that? This would be a basic swap with 150-180bhp.....
        Glad to read you're back on.... love the You-Tube updates, and progress.
        d-9 has done a beautiful job in the Technical threads regarding the 1.8T conversion, so a video series to support that would I'm sure go down well.
        ....as the standard 02B box is only rated to 250nm.
        I'd really like to know how the gearbox held-up, progressed and the trial mods with the power upgrades as the build developed.
        We all know the 02B at 250Nm is a real sticking point for upping the bhp and torque and just sticking the standard 1.8T must have been running in excess of that.
        So what happened... at what bhp/torque and what did you try to improve it?
        Did you play around with any flywheel, clutch and clutch plate packages?
        I'm also in contact with Quaife to get an 02M clocking plate which will change the game for 1.8T/S2 powered T4's!
        Very interested in the gearbox progress. This is where the knowledge is lacking so any input is very welcome...

Keep up the good work,...
        Last edited by Activ8; 30 January 2018, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Welcome Tom, seen your videos on YouTube. I live in Cornwall myself so recognise most of the places in the videos. Love the 1.8 by the way sounds great!

Comment

As far as scones, cream and jam go...I'm sorry to shatter the Cornish campsite dream, but Cornwall for us locals is about festivals, drinking cyder and having disposable BBQ's on the beaches that the tourists don't know about! haha I haven't seen a scone in years!
            Sounds good - another good reason for me to make the move to Cornwall soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Sirfbum View Post
              Sounds good - another good reason for me to make the move to Cornwall soon.

You know it makes sense, come on down and make yourself at home. Its a lovely part of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by mick1070 View Post
                You know it makes sense, come on down and make yourself at home. Its a lovely part of the country.
                Wife has just been offered a job in Falmouth- it might be happening [emoji1303]

Comment

Congrats to Mrs Sirfbum, why the might though?

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                    Congrats to Mrs Sirfbum, why the might though?
                    Still a lot to sort out- sell our house, find somewhere to live, schools for kids, move all our shit...

Just a lot to sort out!

Comment

Good luck, it's just stuff at the end of the day and it all gets done ... its a great location

Sent by ORANGE is the NEW BLACK

Comment

Sell all the shit, live in the van, teach the kids on an evening.........what could go wrong

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                          Sell all the shit, live in the van, teach the kids on an evening.........what could go wrong
                          Says the man that's only ever moved 8 miles from his parents house and the wifes major gripe is that I never take a chance. Do as I say not as I do.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                            Says the man that's only ever moved 8 miles from his parents house and the wifes major gripe is that I never take a chance. Do as I say not as I do.
                            There's always time to change my friend & never say never....

Sent by ORANGE is the NEW BLACK

Comment

Falmouth is a great place mate, I live about 10 miles from it. Tell her to take the job and move down.

Comment

Originally posted by Simmo_1977 View Post
                                Love the Van!

I have a different question though, what drone did you use?

I fancy buying one but haven't got much money so was wondering if you had any recommendations etc?
                                Hey, I have a DJI Phantom 3 Standard, bought its 2nd hand for £250 and its awesome. I'd love to have one of the expensive ones but it does me just fine and I fly it over the sea and in all kinds of places so if it did crash it wouldn't ruin my year! Get one, you won't regret it.

Originally posted by Snowrider View Post
                                I can just imagine the look on the face of the mechanic I use when I tell him I need a new engine and to watch YouTube to see how it’s fitted! ��

Really is an awesome conversion! Sounds wicked!

How does the van go? My brother had a golf chipped to 180 bhp and that thing was mental!

Sent from The Alpine Express using Just T4s
                                I'd say that your brothers Golf was probably in line with a T4 running 250bhp. I say that because at 10psi I was running 250bhp and it was on a par with a 180hp Audi A4 (until you get upto 80mph and the aerodynamics come into play. The conversion only really requires a few key steps. The most difficult is the electronics.

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                                Glad to read you're back on.... love the You-Tube updates, and progress.
                                d-9 has done a beautiful job in the Technical threads regarding the 1.8T conversion, so a video series to support that would I'm sure go down well.

I'd really like to know how the gearbox held-up, progressed and the trial mods with the power upgrades as the build developed.
                                We all know the 02B at 250Nm is a real sticking point for upping the bhp and torque and just sticking the standard 1.8T must have been running in excess of that.
                                So what happened... at what bhp/torque and what did you try to improve it?
                                Did you play around with any flywheel, clutch and clutch plate packages?

Very interested in the gearbox progress. This is where the knowledge is lacking so any input is very welcome...

Keep up the good work,...
                                A standard 1.8T 150bhp makes 210nm torque so running a standard 1.8T you'll be fine. VW also under rate their figures so the 1.8T in standard setup is a no brainer of a conversion. The problem comes when going for 200bhp+ as you'll start to create a lot of heat in the box. The 02B has no cooling and adding 2k rpm to the useable rev range and being able to keep up with traffic is going to cause a strain. The 5th gear is floating without an outer bearing so as soon as you start adding big power you can strip teeth. I never accelerate in 5th....ever.

Swapping clutches, flywheels etc would make no difference. I've found that the T4 box benefits from running a thinner oil when cold. I use Motul Gear 300, a fully synthetic race oil as its slightly thinner from cold allowing the box to spin freely. Many people also overfill their T4 boxes which leads to heat soak and oil churning..causing everything to get too hot! The correct oil level is 5mm below the fill hole (with the van level).

I am trying to get the Mrs to drive mine and get the T4 bug so I can build her (us) a standard 150bhp T4 for festivals and roadtrips so my T4 can be more stripped out and track orientated, rather than a 398bhp daily driver! ha

Originally posted by mick1070 View Post
                                Welcome Tom, seen your videos on YouTube. I live in Cornwall myself so recognise most of the places in the videos. Love the 1.8 by the way sounds great!
                                Awesome, not long now before we can get out and about in the sun! Went over to Blue Bar earlier now it's back open! All we need to do now is build a wall across the A30 and enjoy the summer! hahahaha
                                Last edited by 7ommy_D; 24 February 2018, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X