Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi

Hi Folks,

I'm new here (obviously). Been looking to get myself a camper for a while now as a 2nd vehicle (for when the wife needs to use my car) and I always fancied getting a van. Looking for some of the best advise I can get on a T4 (or newer) while on a limited budget (ideally sub £4k but I know that's making life hard for myself). I'm also looking for a campervan rather then a ply'd van as I spend a lot of time away doing holidays and I'm fed up of tenting!

Useful hints and advise welcome.

Hi and welcome, there are loads of knowledgeable nice people on here so any questions just ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

You would be surprised what you can get for your budget, I only spent slightly more for mine, don't rush into anything tho.

Comment

I think it comes down to what you want to buy vs what you are happy to / capable of doing yourself. Ie buy something “ready made” and good to go, or buy a blank canvas and build your own camper. Or bit of both- buy something mostly done and make it your own.

Comment

Another thing is be prepared to travel as some cheaper deals come up miles away 👍

Sell my T4 ? I'd rather stick wasps up my butt !!!

Comment

Cheers folks. Being based in Northampton I’ve noticed travelling is apparently unavoidable... there’s apparently b*gger all locally to me, everything looks like it’s in the south west or the north east when searching the classifieds and ebay!

Say I went for an empty van, how much (and who) would you guys recommed for a fit out with a rock roll bed and some units (including the running water & cooker so I can reregister it)?

Thanks.

Comment

Hi and welcome!
              There are a few people on here selling vans, as to being in your budget or requirements im unsure. Goodluck

Sent from my LG-H870 using Just T4s

Comment

Hello and welcome, its always a bit of a juggling act, any questions just fire away theres usually someone on here to point you in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by RugbyCarsBeer View Post
                  Cheers folks. Being based in Northampton I’ve noticed travelling is apparently unavoidable... there’s apparently b*gger all locally to me, everything looks like it’s in the south west or the north east when searching the classifieds and ebay!

Say I went for an empty van, how much (and who) would you guys recommed for a fit out with a rock roll bed and some units (including the running water & cooker so I can reregister it)?

Thanks.
                  I have done mine myself with no previous experience. It's not as hard as you might think, get advice off people on here, google and you tube. Do lots of research first to ensure you do things in the right order. Have a look through my build thread 'custard cream build' or any ones on here that should give you a good idea.

Comment

Hello and welcome
                    For your budget you will be looking for condition over kitted out.
                    That's not to say you won't get what you want if your prepared to wait and look at everything.
                    My brother in law got a lovelly caravelle (seats not camper) for under £2000 but is converting it to use as a camper himself.
                    Mine was a carpeted van and cost me more than your budget and had a few hidden issues but has formed a good base for my purpose.

Don't get side tracked by alloys and bling buy for condition, it will pay dividends innthe long run.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Good sound advice Greeny 😕👍

Comment

Ooops how did 😕 get in there lol
                        I really need to check my messages before i hit the send button

Comment

Regarding price- really depends what is important to you. Per Greeny’s comments above- start with a strong base van and then decide what you need on top of that. You don’t have to do everything straight away and can add later. Quite a few people go down the route of trying to do everything and once done realise they didn’t really need half the stuff. For example, my van (roughly):
                          £2.5k for van (LWB 2.5Tdi v plate with windows in twin sliding doors).
                          Met my needs as wanted LWB to fit surfboards/windsurf kit easily plus wanted window (saved fitting later)
                          I then tidied up the back - insulated, carpeted, new floor and fitted Rock n roll bed plus a basic table. Plus a few other bits n bobs -Cost approx £2k.

I now use it all the time - don’t have any cupboards etc or additional electrics and don’t really need them - but can add them later if I decide to (though electrics are easier to add when lining the van so if you will want them, likely a good idea to do up front!

So, a longish ramble, but for 4K I would say you can buy a good base van plus get it to a usable state for camping, if you are prepared to leave out the bells and whistles for later (or not at all if you don’t need it!).
                          Alternatively there are many creative people out there that do amazing things for next to nothing but I think it’s important to ensure you don’t compromise on reliability or safety.

Comment

Ours was a 2k builders van. Not mint or ever a show van. at the moment its just lowered with a gutted rear and windows in the sliding door and the panel opposite. Now its on the road don't know how fast it will progress.But we can taylor it to our needs

Comment

Originally posted by Grubb05 View Post
                              Good sound advice Greeny 😕👍

I have my moments

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                              X