From Ivory to Nato Green Matt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Ivory to Nato Green Matt

My T4 was stripped to bare shell five years ago and painted a lovely Ivory with metallic brown roof and brown alloys.
    I got bored with my Lovely Ivory van getting dinged and scratched so I put big rubber back on with steels and roller painted it Nato Green Matt.
    I know ive probably taken a grand off the value but I like the easy ownership of it now and I can hit a pothole or two now and my dental fillings stay put.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ivory van1 copy.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	269858

Name:	ivory van2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	269859

Name:	Ivory van4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	269860

Nowt wrong with that look! I quite like it's utilitarian appeal and it disguises those blemishes that seem to appear as if by magic when you look around the van after a few days of just driving it!

Comment

Originally posted by caravellvis View Post
      Nowt wrong with that look! I quite like it's utilitarian appeal and it disguises those blemishes that seem to appear as if by magic when you look around the van after a few days of just driving it!
      Yeah I like it and any stone chips on the front can be easily sorted with a matt black rattle can.
      When it was Ivory I had a really long scratch done down the side by a shopping trolley in a supermarket car park and the touch up looked crap, with the green matt its easy to paint a whole panel cheaply. I don't worry about it as much now.

Comment

Hello what's the paint you used ?? I love that..
        The green?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Just T4s

Comment

I got a 5 ltr tin of that Nato Green Matt from "Marcus Glen", He has a website, they renovates and sell military vehicles. Great paint with plenty of pigment it covers really well. My van has just one coat over ivory and I used 2/3 of the tin.
          I plan to get another tin this spring and do a second coat after flatting it. One important tip is don't paint when the van surface is warm, the paint dries too quickly and causes orange peel, it needs a little time to spread out before it dries.....thats why I'm flatting it this spring. Don't do it in the summer if you can't get the van indoors and cooI, I'm doing the next coat in the spring when the air is cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedalman View Post
            I got a 5 ltr tin of that Nato Green Matt from "Marcus Glen", He has a website, they renovates and sell military vehicles. Great paint with plenty of pigment it covers really well. My van has just one coat over ivory and I used 2/3 of the tin.
            I plan to get another tin this spring and do a second coat after flatting it. One important tip is don't paint when the van surface is warm, the paint dries too quickly and causes orange peel, it needs a little time to spread out before it dries.....thats why I'm flatting it this spring. Don't do it in the summer if you can't get the van indoors and cooI, I'm doing the next coat in the spring when the air is cooler.
            Brill thanks. . How long does it take to dry?

Comment

Originally posted by alison View Post
              Brill thanks. . How long does it take to dry?

I forgot to mention that the paint is oil based and can be easily thinned with white spirit. For an oil based paint it dries surprisingly fast probably because it is a matt surface.

The day I did the roof it was hazy sunshine , the roof was quite warm so the paint was touch dry in 15 mins. In the shade, one side of the van was touch dry in about 45 mins.
              I'm not sure how long it would take to be touch dry at say 15 degrees, overcast and the body was cold. I'm guessing maybe 90min \ 2 hrs ??

Another great thing (which is opposite to what I would have thought) flies do not stick to matt paint like they do to gloss and they are much easier to wash off.
              This military matt paint dries quite fast and I'm told in the "field" if a vehicle needed camouflaged ( a land rover or truck ) the soldiers used to mask the parts they didn't want painted like the glass , lights , rubber etc with vaseline then they painted the vehicle with floor brushes and when dry they'd wash off the vaseline with soapy water.

Comment

Name:	FB_IMG_1486060047978.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	258367 welcome to the team

Sent from my SM-G935F using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by tompask View Post
                  [ATTACH]2643[/ATTACH] welcome to the team

Tompask,
                  Your van looks great, is that satin green or is it just the way the light is reflecting ?
                  I'm thinking of doing my bonnet green too and just leave the bumpers black.

Comment

No its nato Matt green. Just the way the lights reflecting I think. I do like it. Think I'll go another year like this then I may sand it down again. Treat some emerging rusts pots and go gray maybe.

Comment

My truck’s paint is scratched off from many places but I am not willing to get repaint job so have been thinking to get full body vehicle wraps. If you have any good graphic designs for truck wraps, please let me know.

Comment

I like the Matt finish, I'd get some old ammo boxes for the roof

Comment

And maybe mount one of those big guns up there too like you see in the movies 😀

Sent from my LG-H870 using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by Pavs View Post
                            I like the Matt finish, I'd get some old ammo boxes for the roof

We saw a guy buy a rather large missile box at camperjam! He stuck it on his roof rack and went over to france the next day!!! But he didn’t have any trouble at customs! Crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                            X