Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Beauty to the Beast, but I like it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Beauty to the Beast, but I like it.

Evolution to Green.
    Just before I bought it my van was stripped to a shell and sprayed Ivory with metallic brown roof about four years ago. I saw it just before the work was done and it was a good solid shell . About a year ago I wanted a van that didn't stand out as much so I roller painted it Nato Green Matt. Its a bit orange peel but Im going to flat it and do a second coat soon so it will be better. I do wildlife photography and the animals could see the Ivory van coming hundreds of yards away and they either ran or flew away .
    Here are some pics of its move from Ivory to Green.

Ivory , just as it said on the tin. With brown metallic roof and alloy wheels.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ivory van1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	269824

New wheels first (Still unsure about roller painting)

Name:	ivory van2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	269825

Roof first ( I could change my mind ) then the tailgate....no going back now.

Name:	ivory van2 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	269826

It certainly blends in and I love it. The low res pic is rubbish it looks better than in the pic.

Name:	ivory van2 .jpg
Views:	3
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	269827
    Last edited by Pedalman; 11 October 2016, 06:47 PM.

Like it a lot!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Nozzle View Post
      Like it a lot!!
      Thanks Mr Nozzle, I was so unsure about roller painting because the van looked so good in Ivory and the first coat it wasn't as good as I'd hoped for, for the second coat I might try a brush or buy an electric spray gun. I've probably removed 2k off its value but it doesn't attract as much attention from the wildlife........and wildlife doesn't just describe David Attenborough stuff.

Comment

I like it, especially with the steels and big tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

I love the colour it is now great job

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Just T4s
          dyslexics are teople poo

Comment

Originally posted by kaz View Post
            I love the colour it is now great job

Thanks Kaz,

Close up as I said it looks a bit orange peel but I really like the colour now. I wish I'd got it sprayed Nato Green Matt originally.

Im thinking of spraying black camouflage patches on it, the great thing with this kind of paint job is I can just paint back over it if I don't like it.

I was also told that matt paint shows finger prints and greasy marks, but it doesn't and more amazingly flies don't stick to it anywhere like as much as they do to gloss paint, and they wash off easier too.

Comment

Originally posted by chally69 View Post
              I like it, especially with the steels and big tyres.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
              I like the steels ( 225/65/16 with big tyres and std ride height) much better than when it was lowered on the alloys ( 225/45/17 ) A softer smoother ride and I don't have to avoid pot holes anymore and my dental fillings are lasting much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedalman View Post
                Thanks Kaz,

Close up as I said it looks a bit orange peel but I really like the colour now. I wish I'd got it sprayed Nato Green Matt originally.

Im thinking of spraying black camouflage patches on it, the great thing with this kind of paint job is I can just paint back over it if I don't like it.

I was also told that matt paint shows finger prints and greasy marks, but it doesn't and more amazingly flies don't stick to it anywhere like as much as they do to gloss paint, and they wash off easier too.
                Have u flatted it bk ? will get rid of the orange peel

dyslexics are teople poo

Comment

Kaz,
                  I haven't flatted it yet, Im moving house shortly and I will have an under cover area to work in but as the weather gets colder I might wait until the spring to do it.
                  Im thinking of an electric spay gun to do it next time , Id say it will be better than rollering .

Comment

Originally posted by Pedalman View Post
                    Kaz,
                    I haven't flatted it yet, Im moving house shortly and I will have an under cover area to work in but as the weather gets colder I might wait until the spring to do it.
                    Im thinking of an electric spay gun to do it next time , Id say it will be better than rollering .
                    Flatting it back will make a massive difference. Spray gun would be better but i've seen some amazing roller jobs that you cant tell were rollered. Good luck with the move hope if goes smotherly
                    dyslexics are teople poo

Comment

Originally posted by kaz View Post
                      Flatting it back will make a massive difference. Spray gun would be better but i've seen some amazing roller jobs that you cant tell were rollered. Good luck with the move hope if goes smotherly
                      Kaz,
                      After roller painting my T4 Nato Green, (and reading many posts about how to do it beforehand), I realised I needed far more skill than I had.
                      I think the warm ambient temperature and having no indoor area to do it didn't help because even after being advised to thin the paint 5% the paint dried to quickly before "spreading" out.
                      I still like the look of my van but I take hope from your comment that it will make a massive difference when I flat it back, at least I'll have an indoor area at my next house to do it.

Comment

If it's as you say just orange peel not runs ect will make a massive difference keep us posted
                        dyslexics are teople poo

Comment

I loved the look of the van in Ivory, but can appreciate the change..good work doing it yourself.. hope the wildlife are more relaxed with the stealth van. Maybe growing a tree from the roof could help and cover in astroturf..that would look brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesibbo View Post
                            I loved the look of the van in Ivory, but can appreciate the change..good work doing it yourself.. hope the wildlife are more relaxed with the stealth van. Maybe growing a tree from the roof could help and cover in astroturf..that would look brilliant.
                            Thanks , yes I liked Ivory it looked great but I do enjoy the stealth more. I had thought of painting black patches over it to enhance it or even putting branches against the body and spraying over them to get the leaf shapes.

Comment

So tempted to do something like this with mine. Fair play painting over that cracking ivory paint job.

Comment

Working...
                              X