Lost gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost gears

Picture the scene. I am happily driving along in 5th gear having used them all in the last 5 miles of rural driving. I pull off from a T junction from neutral. Up a hill so 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and eventually go for 5th. Nowt. Gear lever doesn't move over enough. Up and down , 3rd to 4th and back. I pull in wiggle things a bit, put it into neutral and then into what should have been reverse. Turns out its 3rd. Nothing else to be had. Dawdle how and that's all I have.
    Now where have the rest gone? No noise or anything. Feels sweet but only goes one place.
    It some how seems as if a linkage has failed. I seem to think that the lever has more play than before. A bit like an old long stick Mini.
    Any bright ideas?

Sounds like a linkage problem to me,, I know that some on here carry cable ties to do a temp. repair as the ball joints can fall off

Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, sounds like your gear linkage bush have made a break for freedom. Look on top of the box the linkage has a couple of balls on it that go into a bush on one side and the other is clamped in a bush under a bracket.

Comment

Ta. Looking under bonnet or elsewhere? Bit lazy I know but the damn thing is wrapped up now and this would save me a complete unwrap!
        Also are these bits a failry quick bolt on sort of job or a gear box out. Suspect/hope not the latter.
        Cheers people.

Comment

Fairly straight forward repair... Lots of repair kits on eBay, and once you get the parts in front of you it's self explanatory where they go, and how they fit.
          Good luck! [emoji106]

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Just T4s
          '00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

Thanks chaps

Comment

All done from under the bonnet. Kits range from as little as 5.99.

Comment

A big bar & boiling kettle are your friend during this job.
                Neither are for refreshments [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

I have sort of started to look at the job.
                  Under the bonnet I see that the whole ball jointy thingy has moved to the near side. Little plastic ball has popped out of the socket mounted to the engine and the bigger (what appears to be but probably isn't) metal ball has pushed through the alloy frame that's bolted to the box. 2 10mm bolts off put that in my hand. Is that meant to be a tight fit on the ball?
                  Pulling the gear lever etc off shows nowt. Getting under it is yet to happen as its not in a convenient place but I assume that I have to.
                  Next steps please. Getting the long shaft that disappears back to the gear lever off maybe which will I guess mean grovelling under the vehicle?
                  Trying to work out whats going on. Videos etc are great and better than Mr Haynes but I am trying to sort out whats next.
                  Last edited by mattsccm; 26 November 2018, 12:15 PM.

Comment

The penny has just dropped. Does that 2 bolt bracket have something in it to seat the ball? off to search the web.

Comment

Do you need a linkage diagram to help see the parts etc.?

Comment

Looks as I am wrong. Fixing kits just have 2 balls and the inboard socket

Comment

That's what happened to ours. The balls looked fine so I just fitted the bush that's on the engine side. Put the bush in then put ball back into it with a bit of leverage from a flat blade screwdriver.

Comment

Any chance of gear linkage diagram (and any other such exploded diagrams) being made a Sticky @Activ8 ?

Comment

Matt, replace the bush on the engine side and snap the ball in and try it. Reckon normal service will be resumed.

Comment

Working...
                              X