Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member / VW T4 transporter 1.9td 800 special / rear bumper iron...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tagishsimon View Post
    the rest of the structural ironwork looks in very good condition, considering.
    Based on your previous pictures, I'd beg to differ.

Based on the area around the rear door step and the nearside sill.

Have you lifted the plastic steps in the cab or had a real good look at the sliding door runner yet?

Oh '800' I believe is the payload.

Try Cali campers for your bumper iron if a westfalia tow bar is too rich

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westfalia...YAAOSwXHxcEc5M

or the detachable which is normally 280 but there's a collection only one for 250 - if you are near cheltenham

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westfalia...MAAOSwKKZdj5Ds
    Last edited by regcheeseman; 8 November 2019, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the Cali link; much appreciated.

Yes, there's patching to be done on the top side of the rear step and the back of the sliding door runner recess, and some other sill-level / door corner issues. But, to date, and with much poking, the irons were the only really alarming things. Much, though not all, of the visible rust is superficial. The underside is (so far) in excellent nick.

I have a friend with me who has a welding device and a clue. We don't have have a great deal of cash to spend on it, but we have time. It's not beyond possibility that we're throwing good money after bad. We'll see, and the next few days will probably tell. Shopping list to date has been starter motor, rear springs & shocks, radiator, waxoyl, hammerite primer, fuel filter. Hoping that the two irons will be the last big ticket items.

So, yes. It's a project. What can go wrong

Comment

Thanks for the Cali link; much appreciated.

Yes, there's patching to be done on the top side of the rear step and the back of the sliding door runner recess, and some other sill-level / door corner issues. But, to date, and with much poking, the irons were the only really alarming things. Much, though not all, of the visible rust is superficial. The underside is (so far) in excellent nick.

I have a friend with me who has a welding device and a clue. We don't have have a great deal of cash to spend on it, but we have time. It's not beyond possibility that we're throwing good money after bad. We'll see, and the next few days will probably tell. Shopping list to date has been starter motor, rear springs & shocks, radiator, waxoyl, hammerite primer, fuel filter. Hoping that the two irons will be the last big ticket items.

Yeah i can second cali campers - last month i was quoted £175 for one (before i realised i didn't actually need one). He had 2 left then.

"Every day's a school day"

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
          Yeah i can second cali campers - last month i was quoted £175 for one (before i realised i didn't actually need one). He had 2 left then.

"Every day's a school day"

A bit blooming steep! Supply and demand and all that, but a brand new towbar with the bumper iron is the same price.

, waxoyl, hammerite primer,

Well, for a kick off there are two things you mention that are wrong.

Comment

You may have noticed reg isn't a fan of hammerite products. There's a thread on here somewhere that has info on the various different rustproofing products and their abilities, activ could probably bump it for you....

Sent from the Midlands by pigeon

Comment

Originally posted by rjhoy02 View Post
              You may have noticed reg isn't a fan of hammerite products. There's a thread on here somewhere that has info on the various different rustproofing products and their abilities, activ could probably bump it for you....

Sent from the Midlands by pigeon
              It's a sticky in the Technical Section / Bodywork .

Hammerite's developed a reputation as the go to product for rust and rust prevention but it's not when compared to the broader market place.

Should update the thread with the Car & Classics results from a few years back.

Comment

FWIW this project came to a conclusion a week or so back; T4 passed its MOT. Needed a final bit of welding & brake fettling input from Simon Cox Classic Cars Wooler. So just 3.5 years then.

Comment

At least you reached the end, congratulations,

sorry I am talking rubbish, they is no end on a t4, the 100 tonne press on day.....

But until then we chucking all our savings on it

Comment

Well done!
                    Now go make some memories!

Comment

FWIW this project came to a conclusion a week or so back; T4 passed its MOT. Needed a final bit of welding & brake fettling input from Simon Cox Classic Cars Wooler. So just 3.5 years then.
                      Well done! Mine's about 4 years since I started on it and still ongoing lol. Any pics of the finished article?

Built not bought using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                      X