Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member / VW T4 transporter 1.9td 800 special / rear bumper iron...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by tagishsimon View Post
    the rest of the structural ironwork looks in very good condition, considering.
    Based on your previous pictures, I'd beg to differ.

    Based on the area around the rear door step and the nearside sill.

    Have you lifted the plastic steps in the cab or had a real good look at the sliding door runner yet?

    Oh '800' I believe is the payload.

    Try Cali campers for your bumper iron if a westfalia tow bar is too rich

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westfalia...YAAOSwXHxcEc5M

    or the detachable which is normally 280 but there's a collection only one for 250 - if you are near cheltenham

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westfalia...MAAOSwKKZdj5Ds
    Last edited by regcheeseman; 8th November 2019, 12:49 AM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Thanks for the Cali link; much appreciated.

      Yes, there's patching to be done on the top side of the rear step and the back of the sliding door runner recess, and some other sill-level / door corner issues. But, to date, and with much poking, the irons were the only really alarming things. Much, though not all, of the visible rust is superficial. The underside is (so far) in excellent nick.

      I have a friend with me who has a welding device and a clue. We don't have have a great deal of cash to spend on it, but we have time. It's not beyond possibility that we're throwing good money after bad. We'll see, and the next few days will probably tell. Shopping list to date has been starter motor, rear springs & shocks, radiator, waxoyl, hammerite primer, fuel filter. Hoping that the two irons will be the last big ticket items.

      So, yes. It's a project. What can go wrong

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by tagishsimon View Post
        Thanks for the Cali link; much appreciated.

        Yes, there's patching to be done on the top side of the rear step and the back of the sliding door runner recess, and some other sill-level / door corner issues. But, to date, and with much poking, the irons were the only really alarming things. Much, though not all, of the visible rust is superficial. The underside is (so far) in excellent nick.

        I have a friend with me who has a welding device and a clue. We don't have have a great deal of cash to spend on it, but we have time. It's not beyond possibility that we're throwing good money after bad. We'll see, and the next few days will probably tell. Shopping list to date has been starter motor, rear springs & shocks, radiator, waxoyl, hammerite primer, fuel filter. Hoping that the two irons will be the last big ticket items.

        So, yes. It's a project. What can go wrong
        Yeah i can second cali campers - last month i was quoted £175 for one (before i realised i didn't actually need one). He had 2 left then.

        "Every day's a school day"

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Jumbungla View Post
          Yeah i can second cali campers - last month i was quoted £175 for one (before i realised i didn't actually need one). He had 2 left then.

          "Every day's a school day"

          A bit blooming steep! Supply and demand and all that, but a brand new towbar with the bumper iron is the same price.



          Originally posted by tagishsimon View Post
          , waxoyl, hammerite primer,



          So, yes. It's a project. What can go wrong

          Well, for a kick off there are two things you mention that are wrong.

          Comment


          • #20
            You may have noticed reg isn't a fan of hammerite products. There's a thread on here somewhere that has info on the various different rustproofing products and their abilities, activ could probably bump it for you....

            Sent from the Midlands by pigeon

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by rjhoy02 View Post
              You may have noticed reg isn't a fan of hammerite products. There's a thread on here somewhere that has info on the various different rustproofing products and their abilities, activ could probably bump it for you....

              Sent from the Midlands by pigeon
              It's a sticky in the Technical Section / Bodywork .

              Hammerite's developed a reputation as the go to product for rust and rust prevention but it's not when compared to the broader market place.

              Should update the thread with the Car & Classics results from a few years back.

              Comment

              Working...
              X