No announcement yet.

New to the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rustwise check front out riggers and chassis legs,sliding door lower sections, floor where it meets in front of and behind rear archs, front door steps under the plastic foot wells(only seconds to take out and check) also front sills nearside always seems to be worst. Oh and windscreen surrounds. Had the screen out of both ours de scabbed, painted pillars and roof and new screen fitted. Sounds scary but hey a transit this age will be in half by now.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
      Haha, great maybe tailgate/barn door is personal preference. I don’t want to start any fall out on my first day here haha.

If I could find a solid 1.9tdi for 2 grand I’d be all over it.
      They are out there. And don't worry its all banter.

Comment

@tommyp thanks for that mate, lots of good info there.

I agree with you about starting from scratch inside, you make a good point about redoing the carpet anyway too, I know I probably would end up redoing it.

God point about the tailgate lifting up out of the way, though I’ll take it however the van I like comes as I don’t really have a preference at the mo.

Have you got a build thread on here?

Comment

Thanks S49, I will be sure to have that list of checking points with me!

Great welcome to this site, all, FairPlay

Comment

Have a look at Old Hat and Blindfaith A Winter Project for a couple a good how not to's. The rust starts about page 17 on Blindfaith.
            Last edited by S49; 27 May 2019, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
              Have a look at Old Hat and Blindfaith A Winter Project for a couple a good how not to's. The rust starts about page 17 on Blindfaith.
              I just opened old hat, looks a big thread and basic van to start, I’ll enjoy a read through that tonight. And the other one is yours too? I’ll look through both

Comment

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
                @tommyp thanks for that mate, lots of good info there.

I agree with you about starting from scratch inside, you make a good point about redoing the carpet anyway too, I know I probably would end up redoing it.

God point about the tailgate lifting up out of the way, though I’ll take it however the van I like comes as I don’t really have a preference at the mo.

Have you got a build thread on here?
                No I haven’t got a build thread for either van but I REALLY REALLY should I know.

Got so many pics and stuff I just need to set a couple hours aside to do one for the camper for a start.

By all means tho ask anything as so many of us have researched the hell out of most things and unlike ‘other’ forums, you won’t find opinionated wankers on here just good honest advice from real decent people.

Just watch out for Si. He’s a wrong’un....

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                #vanlife

Comment

Hello morgs and welcome.

I’ve got a 2.4. I chose that engine because I wanted to learn and needed a basic engine to start with. I’ve got nothing against the 2.5, but the electronics are way beyond my very limited ability. Everything I have learnt about motors has been since owning my T4.

A few months after owning it, I found out about the turbo mod. So mine is now turboed, and runs really well.

My mate has a 1.9td. That’s also really good. We did a few basic tweaks, and as a day van pulls as good as mine.

Rust will always be a problem. We’re talking 20 year old vans, but apart from the usual arches, check around the windscreen, and if you can, behind the front and rear bumpers. I also found rust on the inside of my rear arches....and please don’t mention my brakes. I’ve just replaced the rear ones as they were so rusted.

But it’s all fixable, and the days of finding a mint rust free T4 are pretty much gone now.

So as long as you’re prepared to do a bit to it, then you should be fine.

Comment

Yes tommy, you should have a build thread!!! Haha.

Frenchdna, thanks for the engine info, already it seems I shouldn’t let engine affect my choice too much.

One thing I’m not sure of is the difference between van and camper on log book, I’ve seen a for sale ad mention the van already being a camper on v5 so easy to insure, what’s that about? Also is there any tax differences?

This thread has already helped with my search. Thanks all

Comment

New to the forum

There are great benefits for the van being a “motor caravan” on the log book, higher speed limits and cheaper insurance.

See more info here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...to-a-motorhome

Even if you aren’t buying one that been reclassified, you can do it yourself easily these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                      #vanlife

Comment

Welcome morgs and good luck in your search for the T4, advice I can give from experience is , check under the plastic door sills for rust , around front window , and near the fuel filter area just I. Front of the battery area, these were areas wher my T4 had excessive rust, caused from a unidentified front window leak that kept the water hidden under the passenger side plastic step for years causing the rust issue, my van is 1.9 non turbo 800 special ,used daily and for camping trips , started off as a standard van it's an early model 1995 tailgate, but great on fuel which helps on long journeys cost wise, built not bought , so my advice is find what you can , and what your happy with and enjoy the build ,it's an amazing reward to build your own, and you will not regret it , you will have ups and downs and things go wrong , including bottomless pockets (money pits), but it's all well spent , the joys and experience you will have is priceless, Ive changed every part on my T4 , but to be expected for 24 years old, we all love photos on here so when you find your dream machine project , put up a post and build thread , and good luck and welcome to the T4 family,

Come rain or shine I'm out in mine!!

Sent from my Nokia 5.1 using Just T4s

Comment

Ok so a question about this...
                          Water container? It makes no reference to purpose of water eg sink, shower toilet, engine cooling?!?!?!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

And this one makes no reference to water.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...to-a-motorhome

Comment

Welcome to the forum ,for inspiration have a look through the build threads on here , there’s lots of different styles and directions people go when converting a van too a day van / camper .

I bought my van just over a year ago and it’s still work in progress .

https://just-t4s.co.uk/showthread.php?19834-Shed-Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Greeny gtc View Post
                                Ok so a question about this...
                                Water container? It makes no reference to purpose of water eg sink, shower toilet, engine cooling?!?!?!

Seeing this makes me want to buy an already registered camper on v5 and not have to have that faff with the DVLA. I’d have to keep it registered as a van for a year or two while I get it all done otherwise. The water part of requirements is a bit iffy too, does it just mean a water jack is ok?
                                Also, the permanent cooking facilities, I was planning on making a shelf/ cut out to place a removable camping stove. Hmm.

Comment

Working...
                                X