Tow bar mounted Bike carrier for T4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow bar mounted Bike carrier for T4

Does anyone actually have a tow hitch mounted bike carrier that tilts enough to allow access to T4 tailgate?

Ah be ya and a warm welcome to the forum from the shire. Someone should be by at some point with an answer. I've just stolen a BMX so I should be all ears on this.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
      Ah be ya and a warm welcome to the forum from the shire. Someone should be by at some point with an answer. I've just stolen a BMX so I should be all ears on this.
      Me too. I've been toying with the idea of fitting a suitable adapted rear van step and marrying it to one of those dead cheap but useless on their own rear tow-ball bike carriers, as sold by Aldi, to take the weight of a bicycle

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184941903...oAAOSwW2liKuXp

For Barn Doors mind

Comment

Machine Mart stock those van steps Si, should you wish to look at one in the metal, though I'd prefer a non-galvanised one should welding extra bracketry be needed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...step&_osacat=0

They are secured by the two hefty bolts on the traditional Anglo-Saxon tow-bar set-up. The Aldi bike carrier locates on the tow ball itself, (and can be quickly fitted/removed), but when I tried mine it slipped.. Perhaps it's a bit worn, like the owner?

Fitting a van step would, with appropriate extra fabrication, take the weight of the bicycle and avoid the bike from slipping to one side. Some means of preventing the bike slipping fore and aft would still be required. It would otherwise also provide a useful seat/ledge?

That's as far as I got - I've been sidetracked a bit
        Last edited by Jim24; 28 July 2022, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kathy26 View Post
          Does anyone actually have a tow hitch mounted bike carrier that tilts enough to allow access to T4 tailgate?
          I've got the Bosal one (cheaper and better than the thule) and it is an absolutely brilliant piece of kit, I was sceptical it would hold the weight with a single point fixing but it's rock solid.

However, just like the Thule you cannot drop it enough to open barn doors or tailgate, but you can lift it away from the vehicle easily but not when it is loaded up unless there are two of you.

Comment

Heĺlo Reg, nice to have you back. I hope you are well.
            Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

I'm usually on my own and wanted a tow bar carrier as i can't lift weight of e-bike. my t4 has lifting tailgate rather than barn doors so thought there might be a solution :-(

Comment

I know someone who has a preference for wheelchair adapted van conversions with a rear access ramp, that allow him to wheel on his motorcycle.

He's also encountered lots of rust problems in time, because these otherwise "pukka" and expensive conversion companies don't always (rarely?) fully paint and corrosion proof their work.

If you have the internal space, you might consider a long folding ally ramp, secured at it's top end on a bracket mounted behind the tow ball. Floor mounted eye bolts for tying up to?

It's an idea I've been toying with, but I keep getting sidetracked.

Comment

Working...
                X