Hi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi!

Hi all. My name is Steve and I am based down in Pembrokeshire West Wales. I've purchased a cheap 1993 T4 which is registered as a camper earlier this year with a knackered engine. It's been off the road for a couple of years and passed its last MOT. My uncle has a T4 camper sitting on the farm that hasn't moved for probably 8-10 years but has a good AAB engine in it (running well when it was parked up). I thought a quick engine swop would get it back on the road but I have learned from starting to strip everything out that it has more holes than a cheese grater and a tonne of filler! There was folded sheet metal under the cross member to hold up the rust and the outriggers were covered in folded sheet metal and just fell apart- nothing welded! The cargo floor has loads of holes and it probably needs the two rear quarter panels changing. I have never welded before but I have purchased a second hand mig welder and I have managed to weld sheet metal 0.8mm thick with flux core wire. The welder can do gas but has only been used with flux core wire. I purchased a front cross member a few weeks ago which is solid and ready to fit but need to tackle the outriggers on both sides as well as cover the holes above where they go. Whoever owned the van previously has simply put a load of filler over the usual rust areas and hid the cargo floor with plywood. I've been watching Pdubs and Neil on YouTube which has given me the confidence to have a go at the repairs but I am starting to doubt if it will be worth doing. I've only just discovered this forum which looks amazing and I will spend some time reading through others' posts but if anyone has any advice for me I would welcome it. Diolch yn fawr / thank you very much. Steve

Welcome aboard Steve.
    Enjoy the journey with us.

First up, some pics will paint a thousand words, the words coming from our forum artists and owners.
    Well done for starting with a DIY mentatlity, it'll be well tested with ownership.
    I think you're doing the right thing with a thorough evaluation, BUT better costed out before setting off on this journey.
    Cuts although available can be expensive, albeit theres a supply of used and new panels these can amount to a costly exchange exercise.
    However I'm neither the one to diss or support a full rebuild project as theres far better forum members with time served experience and scars to verify it!
    Best of luck.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. Here are some pics of the van! It was going to be a simple lockdown project for the winter I thought but no lockdown yet and lots of holes I didn't know about! This could take me a few years to sort out now
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 20 photos.

Comment

Hi. Take a look a Fifet4 project. Then you can decide what you want to do with it

Good luck

Comment

Ah be ya and a warm welcome from the (Hereford) Shire. I'm keeping out of this as I love welding T4s so not the bloke to advise if you should do it or not. Check out my Blindfaith build threads.
          Last edited by S49; 8 November 2021, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Checked out your photos. Fuck me it's like déjà vu looking at that. Depending how dedicated you are your in for the long haul. I try and go to the van every weekend but weather and life get in the way. I'm 2 years in and only just feel like I'm getting there. You'll take spells where your sick of even the sight of the thing. This is where the forum comes in. The lads on here can be very motivational.
            Panels etc aren't that break the bank expensive, especially if you buy them as you need them. (I recommend central panels) Let's face it your not gonna weld half the van in a weekend so no need to buy them all at once!
            Try and find a donor van near you if you can, there's some bits you just can't buy!
            My build thread has loads of photos for the journey your about to take.

Sent from my Nokia 2.4 using Just T4s

Comment

Use gas with the mig far better weld. Repair the front outriggers if you can as the pattern replacements dont fit worth a shit.They always seem to go behind the rear bumper in the corners. Some of the other holes should patch but dont just cover, cut the rot out first then weld in solid dont just tack in the corners as some "mot welders" do. Theres always space in the build thread section for another resto.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                Use gas with the mig far better weld. Repair the front outriggers if you can as the pattern replacements dont fit worth a shit.They always seem to go behind the rear bumper in the corners. Some of the other holes should patch but dont just cover, cut the rot out first then weld in solid dont just tack in the corners as some "mot welders" do. Theres always space in the build thread section for another resto.
                I didn't know you could get pattern replacement. I'm gonna have to try and find them. Mine are made from box section by looks of it

Comment

Damien on here had some from Just Campers i think. They fit where they touch. I'd repair if its me even if you had to build them up a side at a time till the hole thing was reformed, wouldnt cut them right off just a bit at a time.

Comment

Damien on here had some from Just Campers i think. They fit where they touch. I'd repair if its me even if you had to build them up a side at a time till the hole thing was reformed, wouldnt cut them right off just a bit at a time.
                    Mines have already been cut out by previous owner and replaced with box section then sheet metal over that. I want to put it back to original.or as close as. I'm sure drugged onions still has his intact. I'll give him a shout.

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice so far. I will be taking my time so will end up buying a few bits at a time too. I'll see if I can get the gas kit for my welder, steel wire and some gas. I've seen that Heritage and Just Kampers do the outriggers. Mine are completely shot I think! Are they all crap or are some better than others? Sorry it's like Groundhog day Fife but at least you are on top of it now. The other van on the farm is a complete mess so I doubt I will get anything made of steel from that one. Maybe the cargo floor could be useful for cuts. I've already got a replacement front cross member so will at least have a reference point to where the replacement outriggers will need to go. Thanks again for all the advice so far. Cheers

Comment

Think the trouble Damien had was getting them to sit flat to spot weld on the the underside of the engine bay floor for want of a better word. The one i removed from the chassis cut went straight on after the spot welds were drilled out. Damiens was weld on wings and the problem may have been the were for a later van??? The way your skills have come on since starting yours i dont think you'll have too much trouble which ever way you tackle it Neal.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveT4Pembs View Post
                          Thanks for all the great advice so far. I will be taking my time so will end up buying a few bits at a time too. I'll see if I can get the gas kit for my welder, steel wire and some gas. I've seen that Heritage and Just Kampers do the outriggers. Mine are completely shot I think! Are they all crap or are some better than others? Sorry it's like Groundhog day Fife but at least you are on top of it now. The other van on the farm is a complete mess so I doubt I will get anything made of steel from that one. Maybe the cargo floor could be useful for cuts. I've already got a replacement front cross member so will at least have a reference point to where the replacement outriggers will need to go. Thanks again for all the advice so far. Cheers

Thats the spirit Steve. I bolted the cross member on ours when i welded in the left chassis leg. It was accident damage not rust but when replacing it amounts to the same thing, just go back past any rot.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveT4Pembs View Post

0.6 for welding wire. I'm gonna search for outriggers now.

Comment

Think the trouble Damien had was getting them to sit flat to spot weld on the the underside of the engine bay floor for want of a better word. The one i removed from the chassis cut went straight on after the spot welds were drilled out. Damiens was weld on wings and the problem may have been the were for a later van??? The way your skills have come on since starting yours i dont think you'll have too much trouble which ever way you tackle it Neal.
                              My engine bay floor has been replaced at that area tae haha. This is my next task after wings in

Comment

Working...
                              X