Looking forward to lots of jolly’s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking forward to lots of jolly’s

Hi all, I recently inherited my uncles 98 2.4 t4 which he converted himself into a camper.

I haven’t had chance to do much yet but had the glow plugs and fuel filter changed due to a starting issue, the glow plugs were dead! (Probably obvious to most people but not me as I know nothing about transporters so please expect a lot of dumb questions from me in the future). Also had the radiator replaced due to a small leak that would drain the water/coolant if taken to 70mph

Passed the MOT last week with no problems! So went on my first outing last Sunday to cleethorpes as I didn’t want to go too far.

All went well and I’m now planning on going on a jolly to Cornwall for a week on Monday but I’ve just discovered my fridge isn’t working, it’s an indel b, I’ve tried the leisure battery and electric hook up but it isn’t doing anything at all, if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to possibly fix it before I leave I’d appreciate it!

I plan to have the seats reupholstered, the cupboards wrapped, new flooring and new wheels I’m also not sure if to have a respray or not but I’m not in any hurry to decide.
    I’m also in need of an awning if anyone has any suggestions of any good ones that aren’t too expensive

Hello and welcome to the forum. No help with fridges and camper stuff i'm afraid as our vans are bare in the back.

Comment

Welcome aboard.
      Enjoy the journey with us.

Comment

Hi. You need to get the fridge out and check that it has got power going to it. If not why. Maybe the wireing

Good luck. And welcome

Comment

Hello an welcome.

Comment

Hi. Welcome. As has been said. Get the fridge out to test the power. That’s a good starting point. May be a simple fix. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

To answer your electrical problems.

1st draw yourself a sketch with the outlets , inputs , fuses , 12v sockets, USB sockets, batteries any cabling etc you can identify to give yourself an overview of the install and design. Anything you're unsure of post a picture up.

You'll need to test both the vehicle battery and the leisure battery with engine running to see if its being charged. Record the voltages 12.7v or more = good, 12.4 = ok, 12v bad so replace. Once charged or the charge proved retest the batteries after 24 & 48 hours to prove theyre holding a charge or theres a leak / short or a draw on the battery. There should be various inline fuses or a fuse box come connection box for distributing the power, test and disconnect or isolate sections. Its not a quick process but a sketch will help you in the future.

Your fridge should be removable , do so and test it with a good & proven power source - 240v / 12v / gas?

Posting pics and info will aid forum readers assisting you.

Comment

Heres a diagram thats often used as an install aid by owners.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, so I didn’t have time to sort the fridge before I left and I arrived today so I’ll sort that when I’m back however a new problem is power or lack of it!
                  5 hour drive mostly fine, got to a slight hill n dropped speed fast, changed to 4 no power increase (got slower) tried 3 got slight increase but the road levelled out again this happened 3 times, the worst 65 -35

Comment

Hmm only listed part of my reply to continue it was then misfiring- I’m here for a week poss 2 so I’m going to annoy a lot of people if this isn’t a resolvable issue! Would having the timing and injectors looked at make any difference?
                    thanks

Comment

Hi. The 2.4.is no rocket ship. It will decrease loads on a long hill. Could be the pump timing out. Check the fuel filter it may have water in it from cheap fuel.. You could always turbo it when you get back very worthwhile mod to do. Loads of advice on here. I did my old 2.4 what a difference

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by huskyman View Post
                        Hi. The 2.4.is no rocket ship. It will decrease loads on a long hill. Could be the pump timing out. Check the fuel filter it may have water in it from cheap fuel.. You could always turbo it when you get back very worthwhile mod to do. Loads of advice on here. I did my old 2.4 what a difference

Good luck
                        I’ll second this. Check the pump timing to make sure it’s spot on. A good indicator is cold starts, you shouldn’t have to pull the lever unless it’s colder than we usually get here in Blighty. The pintle injectors on these are supposed to be checked and cleaned every 40k and a complete rebuild every 80k but not many people with the 1.9d/1.9td/2.4d know that let alone do it.

My work van started out as a 2.4d and especially as I was using it for work and not leisure, I found it totally inadequate. Being a work hack and therefore driving it at peak traffic times etc, I’d almost go as far as to say they’re not up to being out in modern traffic. Turbocharging it does indeed make a massive difference. Not quite so much in out and out speed although that does obviously increase but the main benefit is the extra torque to keep you moving up hills and even accelerate up them. Safer pulling out at junctions and roundabouts and overtaking too. I wouldn’t wish a 2.4 on my worst enemy. I did 20k in mine before I turboed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                        #vanlife

Comment

Working...
                        X