About to purchase a t4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to purchase a t4

I'm in the process of buying a t4 from a guy at work. He's in the latter stages of a driving ban and hasn't started it for 9 months. Went to try it earlier and the battery was flat as to be expected. Just wondering if there is anything I should do before trying to start it up after so long.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Just T4s

Hi. Nice van. And welcome to the forum. Check. Water & oil. And ask when cambelt was last changed. Let the glow light go out first. When and if it starts. Let it idle for at least half an hour before driving anywhere. You need to get the oil and water up to temp. Also. Take it easy as to clean the brakes up. Hope this makes sense. Once sorted. Get some more pics on

Good luck

Comment

Lock's lovely. As above,take it easy with the old girl.
      Yes and more pics

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Just T4s

Comment

Drop a new battery on, better than messing with jump leads and so forth.And as above really, i'd do cambelts and glow plugs asap as its been stood,coolant and brake fluid bleed also.Best go right throu it complete service,belts and all fluids then you have a starting point. looks really nice, welcome to the forum. anything you need to know just fire it on here someone will know or be able to find out.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyman View Post
          Hi. Nice van. And welcome to the forum. Check. Water & oil. And ask when cambelt was last changed. Let the glow light go out first. When and if it starts. Let it idle for at least half an hour before driving anywhere. You need to get the oil and water up to temp. Also. Take it easy as to clean the brakes up. Hope this makes sense. Once sorted. Get some more pics on

Good luck
          I’m 99% sure that idling for long periods is bad, especially from cold as the engine isn’t doesn’t pump enough oil around at long revs - hence police cars being modified to protect the engines from long periods of idling and the oil starvation it causes, this may just be the states though. The same reason you shouldn’t leave it idling on cold mornings as it accelerates engine wear. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
          #vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by danpotter86 View Post
            I'm in the process of buying a t4 from a guy at work. He's in the latter stages of a driving ban and hasn't started it for 9 months. Went to try it earlier and the battery was flat as to be expected. Just wondering if there is anything I should do before trying to start it up after so long.

Nice surname! Welcome to the forum. That van looks tidy. I bet you’re excited.

Things to do before you start: prime yourself for the brakes being fucked. Easy fixes though, just had the same on one of mine that’s been stood whilst getting painted.

#vanlife

Comment

I think idling for about 5 fives to get the oil round and warm the thing through wont do any harm. Then a gentle road test.

Comment

Tommy. I have mates that when starting after a long lay up. Rev the the nuts out of it and when raced on the track 2 days later it goes pop. When mine was started. I left it on idle for half an hour then changed oil and filter. They ask me why my engine lasts all season. Bangers

Comment

A common thing with campers that are stood are the brake linings/pads becoming detached from the back plate/shoes thats why i'd always strip out rather than just a do "kwikfit"visual inspection.

Comment

The belts and water pump were changed only 1000 miles before it was parked up so should be fine. The battery was brand new aswell and has never been drove since it was fitted last year. Thanks for the advice
                    Originally posted by S49 View Post
                    Drop a new battery on, better than messing with jump leads and so forth.And as above really, i'd do cambelts and glow plugs asap as its been stood,coolant and brake fluid bleed also.Best go right throu it complete service,belts and all fluids then you have a starting point. looks really nice, welcome to the forum. anything you need to know just fire it on here someone will know or be able to find out.

Last edited by danpotter86; 7 April 2021, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Looks a nice van , lwb and pop top

Comment

Really excited. Hopefully get it sorted this weekend in time for the country opening back up

Comment

Hi. Where are you based. Mine is a lwb in the same colour

Comment

Originally posted by huskyman View Post
                            Tommy. I have mates that when starting after a long lay up. Rev the the nuts out of it and when raced on the track 2 days later it goes pop. When mine was started. I left it on idle for half an hour then changed oil and filter. They ask me why my engine lasts all season. Bangers
                            That’s just one extreme to the other! Revving the nuts out of an engine after it’s been stood is literally begging for trouble, what on earth are you mates thinking? There’s no oil lubricating anything for a few seconds after starting if it’s been stood for long enough and that’ll start the process of fucking them quite nicely.

‘Experts’ recommend idling for up to 30 seconds from cold and no more as the engine needs to warm up as soon as possible to become efficient. They say there are no benefits from letting your engine idle any longer and to warm it up by driving gently so I would neither leave it for half an hour or rev the tits off of it.

They do say however that carburettor engines are best leave running for a few minutes in cold temperatures - not sure why, plenty have said it but maybe it’s bullshit

#vanlife

Comment

I always heat my engine up before any trip. My neighbours love it at this time in the morning.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                              X