Spectacularly failed MoT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spectacularly failed MoT

Hi there, I'm new to the forum but I've had my beloved T4 campervan for 6 years and have just relocated to Scotland. I had a service before I left and thought I was all set for adventures (Covid allowing) However, I have been beset by problems culminating in a spectacular MoT fail, and the mechanic (who is known as a T4 man round here) has said the corrosion (in the suspension component mountings and ball joints) is so bad that he won't touch it and I should scrap it. Obviously I know it is difficult for people to fully comment without knowing the vehicle, but any advice would be very welcome. Many thanks in advance.

Any advisories for corrosion on previous MOTs?

It will be able to save it, might not be worth it? Buy a better empty van and swap your conversion over, break the rusty van and recoup some outlay?

Got any pictures of the areas of concern?

Comment

As reg has said were there any advisories on past mots? And do you have any pictures of the effected areas?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Just T4s

Comment

Thanks both for kindly responding. It had some suspension related welding work done at the previous MOT. I have since had the van resprayed and the current mechanic suspects this has locked in moisture and made existing matters much worse. I don't have any photos unfortunately and I appreciate you are working in the dark without them. I am going to have it towed to a local welder tomorrow to do an inspection and give me a quote. I suppose I was looking for encouragement to not give up the ghost!

Comment

With common sense we wouldn't do half the stupid stuff we do!
          If you love the van it's always worth more than money so is worth repairing!

Sent from my SM-G981B using Just T4s

Comment

A friend of mine had a T4 which had same result with mot a few years ago lots of welding more than van was worth, he was moving to cornwall the following week and so I did all the welding 7 long days, did it mates rates. He loved the van so money wasn't the issue. And he still owns it.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

Comment

If your more specific with pictures and areas of concern, the guys here can help steer you in the right direction no problem! Theres always a way. Were all carrying out essential work in one way or another. Maybe your MOT tester has also been a bit harsh too. Ive seen some guys on here use additional support brackets for suspension struts etc. So this is definitely the correct place to figure out anything T4 related etc.

Keep the faith!

Comment

Welcome tothe forum, some pics would help and/or a print of the fail sheet,

Comment

Originally posted by Emerald View Post
                  It had some suspension related welding work done at the previous MOT.
                  Was this previous work done to a good standard, has it failed again in the same places?

These vans are getting on a bit now and unfortunately there are some shiny rotters out there but its all repairable, hardest bit is finding someone to do it!

Post the fail sheet up or just the reg number so we can see where the problems are. Photo's would be good too!

Comment

If you paid for a respray, there shouldn't be 'locked in moisture' - never heard such bull. That's just bad prep and a spray shop should be responsible.

But a respray is unlikely to be in places that fail the mot.

Is it a pre-95 van?

Comment

Oh thanks so much everyone for responding, it's really nice to know there are people out there who care! And Kevinfazzer- that's really encouraging. It's felt pretty harsh to be told by by two mechanics up here to cut my losses. She's going to get a tow to the potential welder today hopefully (we've had la fair bit of snow). If anyone wants to look at the MoT history she's a 1997 and it's P942 UWT. I will also see if the welder will take some photos when she's up on the ramp. Re the respray, it was a cheapish job, so I don't know. That comment was referring to the sills which have rotted through again. Again, thanks all for being so welcoming!

Comment

Originally posted by Emerald View Post
                        Oh thanks so much everyone for responding, it's really nice to know there are people out there who care! And Kevinfazzer- that's really encouraging. It's felt pretty harsh to be told by by two mechanics up here to cut my losses. She's going to get a tow to the potential welder today hopefully (we've had la fair bit of snow). If anyone wants to look at the MoT history she's a 1997 and it's P942 UWT. I will also see if the welder will take some photos when she's up on the ramp. Re the respray, it was a cheapish job, so I don't know. That comment was referring to the sills which have rotted through again. Again, thanks all for being so welcoming!
                        Half of the failures listed are easy / minor repairs , the welding needed is in the usual T4 areas , not much to worry about , but we’ve not seen the van in the metal to gauge the extent of the repairs.

The majority of garages don’t want welding jobs as they’re so time consuming , also an mot standard repair isn’t that great .

Your welder wants to be cutting out the rot and welding in new sections , not a patch up job that will come back and haunt you every mot .

Comment

I agree with fruitbat, a normal garage won't cut out the rot just weld a plate over it to satisfy the mot. Then gob it full of underseal it, ll be OK for a year. Spend a bit more money and have it right.

Sent from my I3312 using Tapatalk

Comment

Where in Scotland emerald?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

Hi All, thanks again for the replies, they’re really heartening. I’m in Fife! The welder has taken in the job and the mechanic next door to his workshop is going to deal with the mechanics. I’ll post some before and after photos he’s just sent me.

Comment

Working...
                              X