new to the t4 gang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to the t4 gang

hi all..newbie here...ive got a vwt4 2.5tdi 800 special...it was running fine till yesterday...it started when the electric windows wouldnt work..i traced it to a fuse of a fly wire from the battery,,now they work great and light up..success.....short lived,,parked the van up and now she wont start..starts then dies like an immobiliser fault so i any one lives near oxford who know anything or anyone who can put my mechanic freind in the right route it would be awsome....anways..parking it up till i get a clue......will get to some meets when the van gets back running.cheeeeers

Hello and welcome!
    At a guess the windows may be shorting wires in the bellows of the door. As for your running issue, I am sure reg or active8 will be along to sort that.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

Hello and welcome

Sent from my JSN-L21 using Just T4s

Comment

Welcome.
        Does your friend have VCDS or an applicable diagnostic scanner? Code reading the fault could help you identify eliminate the electrics / immo.

When you turn the ignition ON, do all of the cluster lights - as the van self checks - show and then go off? Any left on?

Is the fuel good & the correct type?

If the van starts with the immo light at the cluster OFF then it could be air in the fuel lines - observe the clear section of fuel feed pipe to the pump for bubbles. Alternatively look at the diesel injector return lines are they shiney / wet and soaked in diesel? This would mean they need replacing as they've become porous and again allowing air into the fuel system.
        Injectors fitted nice and tight? Any leaks or weaps of diesel around the pump.

Thats enough to be getting on with.

While your friend checks the van over, log in, sign up to the forums membership @ £7.50 and enjoy more support, banter and free advice with the Community. ;-)

Comment

Agree with all the above (apart from the hard sell)

Although it might seem exactly like an immo fault - don't assume that is the case. for instance a crank sensor fail gives the same symptoms.

But in this instance and because you have other wiring issues I would be looking at the loom running across the engine, the wires breakdown internally and its a common fault point giving the symptoms you describe.

The windows loom is part of a different section of loom - so could just be a red herring or it has taken out a fuse or caused other problems??? As you said the windows are bodged onto the battery, they are not factory so who knows what shenanigans are afoot with regards to the creative wiring that may have taken place.

109 relay good - another popular failure point but I'm pretty sure that with a 109 fault the engine fails to fire at all.

Start simple - are you using the right key - the one with the chip in it? You've not picked up the spare with no chip in it by accident?

As above read codes, a cheap reader will help, a laptop with a snide code reader and vcds vagcom will be very helpful.

Comment

Hi and welcome. As reg said. Make sure you got the right key. I had same thing a few years ago

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Doesn't the wrong key flag up the clusters Immo MIL?

Anyway , what's wrong with the hard sell of the forum? We need some merchandise for VW Action 2k20! £7.50 for diagnostics advice - BARGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                Anyway , what's wrong with the hard sell of the forum?
                Wrong forum.That was the other place "pay ten quid or we wont talk to you"

Forums are dying, he would probably find similar info elsewhere, we need new members, someone shoving a begging bowl in my face as soon as I walk through the door would probably make me turn around and walk out again.

Except for classifieds - should have to pay for those

Comment

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

Wrong forum.That was the other place "pay ten quid or we wont talk to you"

Forums are dying, he would probably find similar info elsewhere, we need new members, someone shoving a begging bowl in my face as soon as I walk through the door would probably make me turn around and walk out again.

Except for classifieds - should have to pay for those
                  "Shoving a begging bowl in my face"...... what?......I see no reason not to identify to any new user that a membership of just £7.50 is available as a good investment in this Community and after I've attempted to offer some valuable advice too. The fella could of called or nipped into any garage and got the same advice possibly for nowt and got a solution for nowt too, maybe he did but I don't think it was a hard sell of the forum either, plus why should Dan bare the burden!

Comment

hello from the newbie...isnt this meant to be an easy forum..i used to belong to club 8090 and that was a happy place...i dont mind joining a club....as long as people are cool,,cheers for all the advice

Comment

Originally posted by ragitty View Post
                      hello from the newbie...isnt this meant to be an easy forum..i used to belong to club 8090 and that was a happy place...i dont mind joining a club....as long as people are cool,,cheers for all the advice
                      It normally is mate - So, are you using the right key?

Comment

hi again folks...freind took apart the wiring harness and checked all the fuses,,found out the alarm is only an alarm not an immobiliser..took the seats out and found a big float sensor in the fuel tank,,not a fuel pump..removed the pipes off the fuel pump at the front and it was pulling around fuel.checked injectors and fuel..then took solenoid valve out and tested that..is it right that the pin out on the solenoid..it worked as we hooked it up but like any solenoid i thought it would be attached and not free.,.we put it back and sprayed easy start and the van runs again..we

Comment

someone said take the white plug off the back of the ignition and clean it as they had the same starting problem....will spray that tomorow

Comment

Whilst you have the plug off a new ignition switch may be a good idea?
                            They are known to fail with odd symptoms.
                            We are pretty chilled out here and generally good fun!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

thanks for the info bud..but if i change the ignition switch,,wont i need new keys....

Comment

Working...
                              X