No announcement yet.

T4 Quad Headlight Project .......... latest update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very good question indeed Robbie, one I believe deserves a lengthy response.

There are a few reasons why ................. The first one is down to cost, with other lighting technologies like LED and Xenon they're easily two to three times the cost for the units alone. Not to mention the extra cost for the extra technology required to run those sorts of systems. Such as, Headlight levelling and headlight washer systems.

When I began the project I had a decision to make, which technology would be a cost effective way producing a set of headlights good enough to be deemed an 'upgrade' for the T4. Unlike the expensive ( at the time ) DRL Audi type aftermarket headlights that everybody was selling, that I concluded were not an 'upgrade' at all, but just a pretty set of headlights that were worst than my standard lights already on my van !

When I began testing various units, with my very basic headlight support jig, it quickly became apparent that Halogen wasn't dead yet as most people were saying. All the who-ha of the newer technology of Xenon and LED lighting the way ahead, so to speak. The important thing here is, to have a precise beam pattern, a beam of light that' directed in the direction that you're looking. Think of it like a hand torch ................... you need that illuminated beam to be where you're pointing your torch, you don't need to illuminate the entire country side, you just need to see where you're going ! Look at any car that has LED headlights and you'll see that it illuminates everything ! like a sheet of white light. Ya, I agree, they're very bright, but there's no discernible beam pattern.

That simple mock-up you see in the picture there, is running off a 12 volt computer power supply and giving me about 17amps, just barely enough to run the test. So these units running at their optimal power will be even brighter. But when I took that jig out into the yard later that night, I knew instantly that these were the units I was going to use. And at less than half the price of the Xenon units, it was a no-brainer >>

As for the power .................... you have ( or should have ) 14.4 volts coming from your battery when engine running no matter what is connected to it, so why not use all that available power ?

TURK
    Yeah, baby ! ........ new Multivan 151bhp AHY 'BigBlue' ; ) >> http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1023689
    And ......... Lulu, T4 2.5 TDi short nose 126bhp > http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=276554
    The T4 Quad Headlight Project > http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=249064

Comment

• Originally posted by TURK View Post
      Not sure I follow you Reg.

Highs, Lows and the side lights .............. where are the other two you're talking about ? eight sources energized ?

Baring in mind I haven't tested or even made the loom yet, just going off my circuit that' on the 3rd page of this thread.

TURK
      I may have misunderstood...

I understood you have two light sources (dip and main) in each light unit?

You have four units

Four times two = 8

Originally posted by TURK View Post
      The more I read that, the less sense it makes !?

First of all, low beams have to be on the outside ( outboard ) ............. indicates the width of the vehicle at night viewed from oncoming traffic.

TURK
      Yes got that - that would mean that the inner two units never have the dip elements powered - unless you intend to have every possible element powered on full (high) beam???

Originally posted by Jonnybigballs85 View Post
      I think I see where reg is coming from.... if each light unit is available of high and low beam, then potentially you could energise 8 lights for full beam? The high and low of each single light x4? Depends if the inner units are available to do dip and main or just main. (Understand to use in dip mode only the outer lights will energise)

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
      Yep you got it.

Comment

• Look Reg, I made it perfectly clear on the previous page ( and now at the top of this page ), that the low beams would have to be by-passed as it's illegal to have four low beams ON at any one time. And that in high beam all four units will be ON !

I know I no mathematician but I can certainly count up to and past 8 ! so no example is required thanks ..................... as are your condescending comments to cover your tracks, as you obviously didn't read my article. I always enjoy answering members questions and I can put up with critics, but input of that nature doesn't help anybody. It only helps to confuse.

And your other comment, this one >

Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post

For your application you would also leave the inner dip units unconnected as it sounds like they will ever need to be lit ?

.................. "it sounds like they will ever need to be lit ?"

They're the high beams ! so of course they're connected !

TURK
        Yeah, baby ! ........ new Multivan 151bhp AHY 'BigBlue' ; ) >> http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1023689
        And ......... Lulu, T4 2.5 TDi short nose 126bhp > http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=276554
        The T4 Quad Headlight Project > http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=249064

Comment

Very good question indeed Robbie, one I believe deserves a lengthy response.

There are a few reasons why ................. The first one is down to cost, with other lighting technologies like LED and Xenon they're easily two to three times the cost for the units alone. Not to mention the extra cost for the extra technology required to run those sorts of systems. Such as, Headlight levelling and headlight washer systems.

When I began the project I had a decision to make, which technology would be a cost effective way producing a set of headlights good enough to be deemed an 'upgrade' for the T4. Unlike the expensive ( at the time ) DRL Audi type aftermarket headlights that everybody was selling, that I concluded were not an 'upgrade' at all, but just a pretty set of headlights that were worst than my standard lights already on my van !

When I began testing various units, with my very basic headlight support jig, it quickly became apparent that Halogen wasn't dead yet as most people were saying. All the who-ha of the newer technology of Xenon and LED lighting the way ahead, so to speak. The important thing here is, to have a precise beam pattern, a beam of light that' directed in the direction that you're looking. Think of it like a hand torch ................... you need that illuminated beam to be where you're pointing your torch, you don't need to illuminate the entire country side, you just need to see where you're going ! Look at any car that has LED headlights and you'll see that it illuminates everything ! like a sheet of white light. Ya, I agree, they're very bright, but there's no discernible beam pattern.

That simple mock-up you see in the picture there, is running off a 12 volt computer power supply and giving me about 17amps, just barely enough to run the test. So these units running at their optimal power will be even brighter. But when I took that jig out into the yard later that night, I knew instantly that these were the units I was going to use. And at less than half the price of the Xenon units, it was a no-brainer >>

As for the power .................... you have ( or should have ) 14.4 volts coming from your battery when engine running no matter what is connected to it, so why not use all that available power ?

TURK
          Thanks for replying bud, you have certainly enlightened my understanding of how they work!
          I did suspect it had something to do with the beam pattern, or lack of it!
          But i can see what you mean, i changed the lamps in our drls for leds and yes they are bright, but they so just literally light up everything within distance and there is no focal point. With traditional incandescent type of lamps you can clearly identify the beam direction and adjust/angle it. Makes me now wonder what/how have car manufacturers delt with this? As nearly every new vehicle now utilizes led’s.

Comment

• Uh-0h!

Comment

• Popcorn at the ready.
              Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• 😬😬😬😯😯😯

Sent from my LG-H870 using Just T4s

Comment

• [emoji897][emoji897][emoji44][emoji897][emoji897]

Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Comment

• 👜👜 😒

Sell my T4 ? I'd rather stick wasps up my butt !!!

Comment

Look Reg, I made it perfectly clear on the previous page ( and now at the top of this page ), that the low beams would have to be by-passed as it's illegal to have four low beams ON at any one time. And that in high beam all four units will be ON !

I know I no mathematician but I can certainly count up to and past 8 ! so no example is required thanks ..................... as are your condescending comments to cover your tracks, as you obviously didn't read my article. I always enjoy answering members questions and I can put up with critics, but input of that nature doesn't help anybody. It only helps to confuse.

And your other comment, this one >

.................. "it sounds like they will ever need to be lit ?"

TURK
                      Whoa steady on, you've taken it completely the wrong way.

Not meant to be condescending, merely trying to explain

You say that

that the low beams would have to be by-passed as it's illegal to have four low beams ON at any one time. And that in high beam all four units will be ON !
                      I was just trying to ascertain if in high beam mode how many sources you would like lit. Obviously all four high beam sources would be lit but you may intend to have the low beam source lit at the same time.

If this is not the case then the low beam filament on the inner unit would be completely redundant? yes?

.................. "
                      the inner dip units unconnected as
                      it sounds like they will ever need to be lit ?"

The dip beams are the high beams? Now I'm confused.

Apologies for trying to offer some help, I've designed looms for Jaguar, Ford, Daewoo trucks and Boeing so thought I may be able to offer some guidance. Sorry you took it in the way it was not intended.

Carry on.

Comment

• I hate it when mum and dad fight [emoji22]

Comment

• I feel like I’ve tuned into the other forum!

Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Comment

• Lets all play nice.

Comment

• Good question matey ..................

I really really did try, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be possible

The 'Premium' range are kind of weird actually, Hella only do two versions ................. none of which have the side light ( or Parking light ) in them as they're projector type units. My way around this will have to be some LED DRL's .................. yeah, I know, like the cheap Chinese garbage ! Only I'm going to use high power SMD LED's, as they'll double up as the side lights. And, as Hella only make a low beam unit and the Bi-Halogen ( no high beam only unit ) you have to use the Bi-Halogen unit as your high beam. But you can't wire up the low beam side of things as you already have one !

On the plus side for the 'low beam only unit', it has the switchable 'Tourist Solution' LHD/RHD.

I'll have just about the right amount of space to install the LED's, but I certainly won't have enough room for the levelling motors

Kind of annoying actually, as you would really want the top of the range to have all the bells and whistles.

TURK

Comment

• Turk again your attention to detail is amazing!!!!
                                The thought thst has gone into this is stunning!!!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Working...
                                X