None Start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• None Start

Wanted to be at work for six today to do some MOT repairs on am old BMW but the old bus wouldn't start. Perhaps it was offended at being called a "nasty, rattley box of crap" yesterday. Myself I don't tend to diss other folks vans as one mans dream car is another blokes heap of shit. Unless of course its anything remotely BMC but then its with a smile on my face. So back to my boring story. Its turns over evenly and the glow plug light goes out as normal. Looking further I have power at both the glow plugs and the stop valve. I know fuel is going though as it smokes and stinks of unburnt fuel.The spill pipes are crack free and bone dry and the clear pipes are bubble free to. After removing the bar from the glow plugs I did the old trick of flashing a live from the battery positive and low and behold no sparks. Removed the plugs and tried them across the battery and nothing ,zip. How long are folks getting out of their plugs? Ours went in at 126k in 2017 its now done 140k and is used everyday. It was pretty cool this morning and it almost "catches" I seem to remember years ago some manufacturers recommending a service interval for them but no one seemed to bother. Anyother boring update tomorrow when I've winkled the new ones in.

What a pisser if a morning!!!
    I hate when stuff like that happens, but at least you have the rusty old tools to make good!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

The morning wasn't a total loss. Got the spring and the brakes on the Beamer and made up the repair panel for the sill so it saves a few hours tomorrow.

Comment

i got a cheap set of glowplugs off ebay think they was 15 quid and they lasted less then a year, got a bosch set and been good ever since. i will never buy cheap plugs again its not a job thats easy to do aswell lol.

Comment

You say that these were from Flea bay but a know make. The factors will send me out a Bosch set in the morning on their 9.30 van. So a little homework tomorrow night.

Comment

I’ve always got on great with NGK.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
            #vanlife

Comment

Actually that could well be what they will send. Think its a bit of a lottery as to how long they last.

Comment

10 months and 35,000 miles so far on mine. Changed them when I was sorting the mess of the previous owners when I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                #vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                  Wanted to be at work for six today to do some MOT repairs on am old BMW but the old bus wouldn't start. Perhaps it was offended at being called a "nasty, rattley box of crap" yesterday. Myself I don't tend to diss other folks vans as one mans dream car is another blokes heap of shit. Unless of course its anything remotely BMC but then its with a smile on my face. So back to my boring story. Its turns over evenly and the glow plug light goes out as normal. Looking further I have power at both the glow plugs and the stop valve. I know fuel is going though as it smokes and stinks of unburnt fuel.The spill pipes are crack free and bone dry and the clear pipes are bubble free to. After removing the bar from the glow plugs I did the old trick of flashing a live from the battery positive and low and behold no sparks. Removed the plugs and tried them across the battery and nothing ,zip. How long are folks getting out of their plugs? Ours went in at 126k in 2017 its now done 140k and is used everyday. It was pretty cool this morning and it almost "catches" I seem to remember years ago some manufacturers recommending a service interval for them but no one seemed to bother. Anyother boring update tomorrow when I've winkled the new ones in.
                  What's the BMW Si?

Comment

Its a 1990 318 estate or touring as they like to be called. Its covered in a layer of rust underneath, mainly from being stood and not used too often. tester always says it could do with a waste oil spray. Some sort of waxoil type stuff would be better I think. Waste oil that's a bit 70's even for me and it stinks.

Comment

Not cold enough to be glow plugs. Give it a whiff of easy start or brake cleaner.
                      Sounds like fuel solenoid or dicky ign switch. Put a live from batt to solenoid if you can.

Comment

Wouldn't have thought you'd need any glow when ambient is in the 20s, the tdis don't use any until about 3c.

Daft question, but is your cam turning?

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                          Normally get years and years out of glow plugs - like 10+

Has something killed them, you might expect 1 to die, but all four? Nah - summat amiss there.

Comment

Stinks of fuel and theres grey smoke. Power at plugs when ignition is put on Then goes out ten seconds or so after the light goes out, haven't timed it but thought that's what it was supposed to do. the 3 plugs I flashed with a live and got no spark when removed and put across a battery did bugger all. I did wonder if something was killing that's why I tested it with the ignition and test light. Will see if it goes after tea with the plugs in. It was pretty chilly in the Shire at 6 yesterday morning but we'll see.

Comment

Well that was an interesting evening. Changed the glow plugs, all but one was kaput. While putting in number one plug I noticed the lever on the side of the pump top had fallen off! The one connected to the cold start choke on the dash.Thats why I had 5 glow nut nuts. So Reg and d-9 were right it should start in this temperature with little help from the glow plugs. The shaft that the lever goes on in the pump top has a thread and a oblong cut out on it. I had the devil of a job getting it back on. But now all built up it starts fine but will not idle. Have I got the shaft half a turn out or has something dropped off inside? Heres the offending lever back on that's a screwdriver I have pointing at it So its back to it tomorrow night. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2318.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	267850

Comment

Working...
                              X