Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• regcheeseman
    replied
    Not cold enough to be glow plugs. Give it a whiff of easy start or brake cleaner.
    Sounds like fuel solenoid or dicky ign switch. Put a live from batt to solenoid if you can.

Leave a comment:

• S49
    replied
    Its a 1990 318 estate or touring as they like to be called. Its covered in a layer of rust underneath, mainly from being stood and not used too often. tester always says it could do with a waste oil spray. Some sort of waxoil type stuff would be better I think. Waste oil that's a bit 70's even for me and it stinks.

Leave a comment:

• Activ8
    replied
    Originally posted by S49 View Post
    Wanted to be at work for six today to do some MOT repairs on am old BMW but the old bus wouldn't start. Perhaps it was offended at being called a "nasty, rattley box of crap" yesterday. Myself I don't tend to diss other folks vans as one mans dream car is another blokes heap of shit. Unless of course its anything remotely BMC but then its with a smile on my face. So back to my boring story. Its turns over evenly and the glow plug light goes out as normal. Looking further I have power at both the glow plugs and the stop valve. I know fuel is going though as it smokes and stinks of unburnt fuel.The spill pipes are crack free and bone dry and the clear pipes are bubble free to. After removing the bar from the glow plugs I did the old trick of flashing a live from the battery positive and low and behold no sparks. Removed the plugs and tried them across the battery and nothing ,zip. How long are folks getting out of their plugs? Ours went in at 126k in 2017 its now done 140k and is used everyday. It was pretty cool this morning and it almost "catches" I seem to remember years ago some manufacturers recommending a service interval for them but no one seemed to bother. Anyother boring update tomorrow when I've winkled the new ones in.
    What's the BMW Si?

Leave a comment:

• TommyP
    replied
    10 months and 35,000 miles so far on mine. Changed them when I was sorting the mess of the previous owners when I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Leave a comment:

• S49
    replied
    Actually that could well be what they will send. Think its a bit of a lottery as to how long they last.

Leave a comment:

• TommyP
    replied
    I’ve always got on great with NGK.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Leave a comment:

• S49
    replied
    You say that these were from Flea bay but a know make. The factors will send me out a Bosch set in the morning on their 9.30 van. So a little homework tomorrow night.

Leave a comment:

• qtronix
    replied
    i got a cheap set of glowplugs off ebay think they was 15 quid and they lasted less then a year, got a bosch set and been good ever since. i will never buy cheap plugs again its not a job thats easy to do aswell lol.

Leave a comment:

• S49
    replied
    The morning wasn't a total loss. Got the spring and the brakes on the Beamer and made up the repair panel for the sill so it saves a few hours tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Greeny gtc
    replied
    What a pisser if a morning!!!
    I hate when stuff like that happens, but at least you have the rusty old tools to make good!!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Leave a comment:

• S49
    started a topic None Start

None Start

Wanted to be at work for six today to do some MOT repairs on am old BMW but the old bus wouldn't start. Perhaps it was offended at being called a "nasty, rattley box of crap" yesterday. Myself I don't tend to diss other folks vans as one mans dream car is another blokes heap of shit. Unless of course its anything remotely BMC but then its with a smile on my face. So back to my boring story. Its turns over evenly and the glow plug light goes out as normal. Looking further I have power at both the glow plugs and the stop valve. I know fuel is going though as it smokes and stinks of unburnt fuel.The spill pipes are crack free and bone dry and the clear pipes are bubble free to. After removing the bar from the glow plugs I did the old trick of flashing a live from the battery positive and low and behold no sparks. Removed the plugs and tried them across the battery and nothing ,zip. How long are folks getting out of their plugs? Ours went in at 126k in 2017 its now done 140k and is used everyday. It was pretty cool this morning and it almost "catches" I seem to remember years ago some manufacturers recommending a service interval for them but no one seemed to bother. Anyother boring update tomorrow when I've winkled the new ones in.
Working...
X