Brake cylinder ffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake cylinder ffs

Hi folks knowledge base central needed once again.., major head scratching foot pumping pressure bleeding all because I changed the wiper linkage.

So I had to remove the brake cylinder from servo to allow me room to change the wiper linkage pita. Now I have perfect wiper action, but no brakes. I've bled the fluid through completely nice new clear fluid from all calipers with the gunson ezbleed,bled the cylinder all 3 pipes can't get at the 4th as the IC in the way. Still the brake pedal stiffens when engine off then when I start it up the pedal goes to the floor, I've tried several times, so you think the master cylinder is done, doesn't look that odd to be honest.

Cheers

Which pipe can't you get at? Also never needed to touch brake cylinder when taking off wiper/linkage it's awkward mind. If you've bled all the calipers I don't know what you mean by the pipe by the ic
    Last edited by S49; 6 March 2022, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Is there a bleed nipple on the brake compensator valve. Had that with an air cooled. Bled and bled, no air but no pedal. Spotted the one on the valve, a quick bleed and a solid pedal returned.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
        Which pipe can't you get at? Also never needed to touch brake cylinder when taking off wiper/linkage it's awkward mind. If you've bled all the calipers I don't know what you mean by the pipe by the ic
        The brake pipe when standing front looking into the engine, the right rear pipe coming off the master cylinder, haven't bled that 1 but clear fluid free flowing from all other 3 and all calipers, where this other place big man, is it at the equaliser valve under the van ? Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
          Is there a bleed nipple on the brake compensator valve. Had that with an air cooled. Bled and bled, no air but no pedal. Spotted the one on the valve, a quick bleed and a solid pedal returned.
          I will try that 1 S. also the wiper linkage was a complete B#@!@#$ I think the way the arms were rotated I didn't want to shift them thought I might wreck the motor

Looks like I will be donning the overalls on a Sunday after all.. luckily they're washed and dried last night
          Last edited by Marx; 6 March 2022, 11:34 AM.

Comment

How are you bleeding the brakes, what technique precisely?

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
            #vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
              How are you bleeding the brakes, what technique precisely?

Hey Tp...I tried firstly gravity opened all 4 corners let them bleed through, didn't work, then tried mate pressing the pedal technique opened all 4 corners didnt vwork, then bought the gunson ezbleed pressure and push fluid through from the reservoir, opened 3 nuts on master cylinder until fluid ran clear and then all 4 caliper nipples until fluid ran through clear, I think the master cylinder must be goosed , going to get another 1 from a mates van and try that later. Phew !

Comment

Ive never bled a master cylinder on anything on its own. I use the eazibleed and start at the corner furthest away from the master cylinder and one at a time I work closer to the master. Never failed me. I’ve heard of the seals in the master turning themselves inside out so maybe that’s happened when you took it off. Just a guess.

#vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                  Ive never bled a master cylinder on anything on its own. I use the eazibleed and start at the corner furthest away from the master cylinder and one at a time I work closer to the master. Never failed me. I’ve heard of the seals in the master turning themselves inside out so maybe that’s happened when you took it off. Just a guess.

Up date !! Tommy when I was putting the master cylinder on after dark last week, I missed the push rod, I wondered why I was hearing a grinding noise when I pushed the pedal. New cylinder fitted and all good if not a bit spongey. I'll give it a few days and bleed again.

Thanks for getting back as usual.. much appreciation Tommy

Last edited by Marx; 7 March 2022, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Hi. Is this sorted. If still spongy wedge a bit of wood between the pedal and seat. Leave overnight. Try in morning. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by huskyman View Post
                      Hi. Is this sorted. If still spongy wedge a bit of wood between the pedal and seat. Leave overnight. Try in morning. Good luck
                      Will do.. kind of used to it now. But good advice , cheers Husky man

Comment

Working...
                      X