Cam Belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Belts

On a 2.4d should you change the crank pulley bolt once its been undone? Theres no mention of changing the bolt in the Autodata Timing Belt books and i have em going back to 1995. The 4 i've done never had a new bolt and are still running with no loose pulley, crank horror stories.

Of course now not being in the trade and have my own to do. I want to do it right............................................. .......

Comment

Si. I did not change the bolt when I done the old 2.4. Just tightened right. It was ok

Comment

Si. Don't think I will be leaving the motor trade now after all these years. Mind what else would I do

Comment

Good quality kits come with a new bolt. Keep or buy another diamond washer too. Most I’ve changed to do belts on are missing this or it’s been put in the wrong place. I’ve got a load of spare new bolts if you need one as I’ve still not sent your cluster surround yet so I can add it to that.

Having said that, the AAB bolts are tightened to 460nm??? The later AJA and 2.5 ones are 160nm plus 180 degrees so whether they’re stretch and the old ones aren’t, I dunno. Check the ugga dugga specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
          #vanlife

Comment

For an extra tenner I'd put a new crank gear on as well.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by marcushamblin197 View Post

I’ve never bothered on the 5’s. Have done on the 4 pots as they’re a shit design and love to fuck up.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
              #vanlife

Comment

What's a "crank gear" Marcus?

Is this the belt tensioner etc, or the vibration damper, (and if the latter, why)?

Comment

The cog on the crank that the timing belt runs on

Comment

Aha. Thanks Si.

Are the pulleys particularly prone to wear?

Comment

They do wear , check around the rubber bonding for breakage and separation. I change absolutely everything on my van because that's just me and its my daily vehicle and I'm the one fixing it. Also I brought mine broken and the crank gear was sheared at the keyway. Although I do believe most of the problems come from not tightening the crank pulley correctly and poorly done. Every odd numbered cylinder vehicle I believe balance is more critical.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Comment

Cheers Marcus, it just goes to show how shallow the Haynes is in places, and that sounds like a good approach to me. WVan came with recent a recent belt change and I've yet to remove the covers for the first time, so I can accurately say that "I haven't a clue".

I didn't know that the pulleys have rubber in their construction - I assumed (wrongly again) that they are of 100% metal, or is it just confined to the crank?

Comment

They do wear , check around the rubber bonding for breakage and separation. I change absolutely everything on my van because that's just me and its my daily vehicle and I'm the one fixing it.
                          Cheers Marcus, it just goes to show how shallow the Haynes is in places, and that sounds like a sensible approach to me. WVan came with recent a recent belt change and I've yet to remove the covers for the first time, so I can accurately say that "I haven't a clue".

I didn't know that the pulleys have rubber in their construction - I assumed (wrongly again) that they are of 100% metal, or is it just confined to the crank?

Comment

Just the crank pulley has rubber.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X