PAS Fluid Debate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAS Fluid Debate.

Right popped in the factors and got antifreeze and pas fluid for the Doka.June 96 on an N reg. When i got to the yard i noticed i'd got normal red pas oil. I rang em back and the lad i dealt with reckoned it listed red but a lot a folk change to green if the systems been drained down. For S49 its listed as the green so he may have a point. I checked the bottle on the truck and to be fair there are traces of red in it.Does that blow the myth of green cap green fluid? Bare in mind i've never seen a T4 with any other colour PAS cap than green. Thoughts folks before i put the red in?

Originally posted by S49 View Post
    Right popped in the factors and got antifreeze and pas fluid for the Doka.June 96 on an N reg. When i got to the yard i noticed i'd got normal red pas oil. I rang em back and the lad i dealt with reckoned it listed red but a lot a folk change to green if the systems been drained down. For S49 its listed as the green so he may have a point. I checked the bottle on the truck and to be fair there are traces of red in it.Does that blow the myth of green cap green fluid? Bare in mind i've never seen a T4 with any other colour PAS cap than green. Thoughts folks before i put the red in?
    Red, green, ATF. Never worried and just shoved whatever in when it’s been fully drained

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    #vanlife

Comment

I could be over thinking it. Its what i sometimes do. Just didnt want all the seals to swell and go all spazy and spunk the oil out.

Comment

Si. Use the colour of the cap.. Early vans used red. Later vans green

Comment

Thats what i;m on about are dads 93 effort had a green cap.Anyone got a van with a red cap............................................... .......................

Comment

Si. Ben's should have a red cap..My old one had a red cap that was a 91

Comment

Thats interesting, the dokas listed as red but has a green cap, the plot thickens. The vehicle came drained down but with red fluid left in the corners of the pas bottle so i spect i'll just put the red now i've got it.

Comment

What's the specification of both types?
                What's actually required?
                Haynes states for the PAS use VW Hydraulic Fluid G002000

Sent from my SM-G988B using Just T4s

Comment

Si. The green stuff is. Central hydraulic fluid

Comment

VW Tech Bulletin 48-89-T07
                    This was issued in Nov 1989.

It states, "The new synthetic VW quality specification TL 52 146.00, OE part number G 002 000 A2 or CHF11s] and old power steering fluid [non-synthetic CHF 7.1 OE part number A0E 041 020 10] can be mixed if necessary."

So according to VW, you can mix the 2 Volkswagen hydraulic power steering fluids. Even though the composition of the fluid changed from a synthetic base oil vs a non-synthetic mineral oil.

1980-1989 VW models came filled from the factory with OE part number A0E 041 020 10 or CHF 7.1 mineral based fluid.

1990-2005 VW models were filled from the factory with the synthetic VW spec TL 52 146.00, OE part number G 002 000 A2 or CHF11s.

2006-current VW hydrailic power steering fluid systems are filled with the fully synthetic VW TL 52 146.01, G 004 000 A2, CHF202 spec.

Important Note: Never mix generic power steering fluid or other fluid with VW power steering fluid (G002000) or CHF202 (G004000). 

Sent from my SM-G988B using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                      Thats what i;m on about are dads 93 effort had a green cap.Anyone got a van with a red cap............................................... .......................
                      Looking at used t4 bits on fleabay last night i came across a couple a pas bottles with RED caps. Perhaps i should get one !

Comment

I've had this recently, my 98 caravelle came to me with red ATF in it. I did some research before reading Activs post, decided to drain fully the pas system and added febi green mineral based green. Now I'm thinking it's the wrong stuff, should be synthetic damn it!
                        Attached Files

Comment

What did you use in the end Si ?

Comment

Originally posted by Marx View Post
                            What did you use in the end Si ?
                            I put red in mate, i now need a red PAS cap. Its a June 96 N reg with the bolt on wings so sort of on the change over.

Comment

Just right, the steering was heavy on this before I sorted it. I'm using this, it's green mineral based. With a new pump it seems OK, I'm sure it could be better, fingers crossed the new wishbones will help again.
                              my gf needs to be able to drive it she only small :-)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X