Idle up and down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle up and down

For a few years now the idle has a mind of its own. Occasionally it will chuck black smoke out on starting and instantly rev to nearly 2k.
    I've been lucky at MOT time tho

Is there a limit to the size of a post?

Comment

Dont think there is mate.

Comment

Odd symptoms.
        The ECU controls the tickover and its set to 780-1180rpm dependant on ambient temp / intake temp and atmospheric pressure.
        Check connections, clean or replace the MAF & MAP sensors Get Bosch oem units and nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
          Odd symptoms.
          The ECU controls the tickover and its set to 780-1180rpm dependant on ambient temp / intake temp and atmospheric pressure.
          Check connections, clean or replace the MAF & MAP sensors Get Bosch oem units and nothing else.
          AHH. I do have a mercedes maf that's been fitted since 2009 but all was ok back then.
          VCDS comes up with temp sensor (G62) but no one knows if that's the 2 pin or 4 pin.

Comment

This will fix your problem and it’ll never return:

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
            #vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by AprV2 View Post

AHH. I do have a mercedes maf that's been fitted since 2009 but all was ok back then.
              VCDS comes up with temp sensor (G62) but no one knows if that's the 2 pin or 4 pin.
              If its a TDI post 1998 it'll be a 4 port G2/G62 & F95 sensors mounted in the plastic housing on the engine block between Cyl 1 and 2. Carefully does it as the plugs will be brittle.

The G2 connects to the dash temp gauge.
              The G62 informs the ECU of coolant temp.
              The MAF signal values are programmed so you may be getting an incorrect sensor output for the air mass passing through it. You could unplug it so the ECU creates an lower default value but fitting the right part might help!
              Last edited by Activ8; 7 October 2021, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Just looks like a "trip" hazard TP! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                  Just looks like a "trip" hazard TP! ;-)
                  Absolutely GUARANTEED to make any ‘trip’ without limp home mode

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                  #vanlife

Comment

Working...
                  X