Diesel heater upgrade ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel heater upgrade ???

Hi folks, I'm toying with the idea, of using the eberspacher as a parking heater in my caravelle. Anyone done this on here any pros ,I have already bought the dreaded Chinese heater, which I'm using in my workshop and its great.

Originally posted by Marx View Post
    Hi folks, I'm toying with the idea, of using the eberspacher as a parking heater in my caravelle. Anyone done this on here any pros ,I have already bought the dreaded Chinese heater, which I'm using in my workshop and its great.
    Recently installed a 5kw chinesium in ours... Yet to actually use it as the temperature has gone up - but it's so fierce I reckon you could use it as a hairdryer (if I had enough hair to warrant it!). Can't think of any cons at the moment, it doesn't use huge amounts of space and is there when needed.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Just T4s

'00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

Hi sorry, I should have added, I already have the factory eberspacher to preheat the engine and I wonder if anyone has converted there to a parking heater

Comment

Hi sorry, I should have added, I already have the factory eberspacher to preheat the engine and I wonder if anyone has converted there to a parking heater
        I see!

Do it! What's the worst that'll happen?

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Just T4s

'00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

Hi. I have checked this conversion out and it comes out to about £350 to convert it. Not worth the hassle

Comment

I think some people tried it in the old days but it's a very inefficient way to heat the inside of your van, takes a while before you'll get any heat out the vents and I'm not sure it really does the job well... so much heat wasted in the engine bay.
            1999 2.5 TDI

Comment

The dreaded chinese heater?

The only thing dreaded is the muppets who have a go at installing them. You've already said it is great, so why piss about trying to convert the everspacker?

Comment

Is there much conversion required? All the bits are there already, erbspacker, fan, heater matrix, electric fuel pump etc

Comment

Originally posted by d-9 View Post
                  Is there much conversion required? All the bits are there already, erbspacker, fan, heater matrix, electric fuel pump etc
                  You only need to break into the control wiring with a seperate controller, about £40 for a temp based non BT manual affair. The Eberspächer wiring is on here somewhere.

Comment

Thanks everyone appreciate the wisdom here. I'm totally confused, reading this and that. The already fitted Eber heats the cab and rear in the caravelle or the Deisel pre going into the pump for cooler climates or ??? If reading activ correctly, the already fitted eber needs a seperate control switch, that being said, then the eber heats the interior of the wagon not just the diesel fuel. Like I said I've read that many posts on this it becomes confusing.

Comment

Thanks everyone appreciate the wisdom here. I'm totally confused, reading this and that. The already fitted Eber heats the cab and rear in the caravelle or the Deisel pre going into the pump for cooler climates or ??? If reading activ correctly, the already fitted eber needs a seperate control switch, that being said, then the eber heats the interior of the wagon not just the diesel fuel. Like I said I've read that many posts on this it becomes confusing.
                      It doesn't heat the fuel - just the coolant.

Comment

Thanks I've been activated. So I'll find the wiring diagram and get my auto spark mate onto it.

Comment

Hi. Let me know how you get on with this

Thanks

Comment

What if you wanted to run it just from your leisure battery when parked to save your main battery? (assuming you have one)
                            Would you need to find a way of switching the power to the Eber, the water circulating pump and the dash fan?
                            ​​​
                            I'm not sure how effective these heaters are when used in isolation. I seem to remember talk of them taking too long to give any heat out of the vents and it being pretty ineffective overall.
                            1999 2.5 TDI

Comment

Theyre cheaply available and can be found in 2,3,5 & 8 KW. Last one I paid £5 for.- complete including the fuel tank line & fittings. Lots of VAG , premium branded vehicles have them fitted so the scrappies is an easy source for the parts and spares.

Are they efficient?
                              In a 'velle with rear heating, theyre a pretty good "ice breaker"but nothing like the more direct Chinky burners or their expensive Euro originals.

If you're running "lithium ion" leisure batteries they could be their life saver.

Comment

Working...
                              X