1.9TD abl question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.9TD abl question

Hi folks, is it just me or, i have a 1.9td abl... i know low powered etc etc I've had the 2.4 and both 2.5s 88 and 102 never driven the 151 bhp 2.5.
    anyhow, on this with the choke out runs like a watch, this is unmolested with 150k on the clock, currently getting much needed tlc. I thought when i had the timing belt done last week, the lumpy running would go away. Now it's slightly worse running without the choke until it warms up, even then it's slightly smokey. I've changed glow plugs, ripped the dodgey insulation and panels out the rear, welded the floor in the usual places, replaced with nice new acoustic and insulated foam and layer of foil etc. So getting there, cleaned the egr yesterday it ran sightly better i must say after cleaning the egr valve and connecting pipe to manifold, then blanked it off. But it didn't cure the smoke without the choke out.

I just drove my pals 19td it's similar, are these engines prone to this running issue or could the timing sort it out?
    any ABL gurus with knowledge?

If you have to run it with the choke out i spect your timing isnt right. Bet they havent preloaded the pump a la Regs timing guide in the tec section.

Comment

What he said... Timing is out. My old ABL was the same - would run rough without the choke (cold start advance) pulled. In theory you shouldn't need to use that unless the weather is really cold.

Sent from my moto g(8) power lite using Just T4s

'00 1.9TDI LWB, '87 Mk2 Golf 16v

Wheel or tyre question? Just ask, it's what i do!

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
        If you have to run it with the choke out i spect your timing isnt right. Bet they havent preloaded the pump a la Regs timing guide in the tec section.
        Thanks Simon ill have a look at that !

Comment

Originally posted by Adventure Van View Post
          What he said... Timing is out. My old ABL was the same - would run rough without the choke (cold start advance) pulled. In theory you shouldn't need to use that unless the weather is really cold.

Thanks for the confirmation AV

Comment

Absolutely as the guys above had said. The pump riming sounds retarded. Who did the belt? A garage?

Either way, an easy fix without taking the belt off in nearly all cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
            #vanlife

Comment

Tommyp cheers, I can't find the info either technical downloads or anywhere else.. have looked ebbed up started to read how to remove the cap from the pump and fell asleep.
              have you a link to the info by any chance

Comment

Originally posted by Marx View Post
                Tommyp cheers, I can't find the info either technical downloads or anywhere else.. have looked ebbed up started to read how to remove the cap from the pump and fell asleep.
                have you a link to the info by any chance
                I can't remember exactly but I think you need to remove the timing belt cover - slacken the pump pulley bolts (the bolt holes are slotted), then rotate the pump to adjust the timing. Best practice would be to loosen the fuel lines (hard lines from the pump to the injectors) when you do it, then tighten again after.

Don't do it until someone confirms though, cause I may be totally wrong!

Comment

The pulley is on slotted bolts so no need to touch the fuel lines.Check out Regs guide in the tec section.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                    The pulley is on slotted bolts so no need to touch the fuel lines.Check out Regs guide in the tec section.
                    I thought you had to loosen the unions to stop them twisting when rotating the pump? I never timed mine in the end though... Through it in the bin and fitted an AHU!

Comment

The pumps on plain holes timing done by altering the pulley relation to the belt. Think the early 1.6 and maybe the 1.9d has slotted bracket holes but even then dont think you need to slacken pipe unions. I never did on the Volvo 740's it would be just my luck if i did to cause a fuel leak or two.

Comment

One way to check is to take Rocker Cover off, crank the crankshaft round until the timing mark is centre... there will be some resistance as your glow plugs are in... but its ok... keep cranking crankshaft round until ... camshaft cylinders 1 & 2 should be pointing upwards.. timing mark should be in the middle... but im guessing its retarded.

If you cant get the pin in when you crank the crankshaft to top dead centre... and it looks like this ... its off...

I know because when i took on the timing belt, the timing was already off... theres ways to correct it. Its all about pre-loading the pump.

Comment

Sent you a WhatsApp with Regs guide and a load of info. Keep us posted. It’s so simple even T4vancalledstan managed it.

#vanlife

Comment

Originally posted by TommyP View Post
                            Sent you a WhatsApp with Regs guide and a load of info. Keep us posted. It’s so simple even T4vancalledstan managed it.

He’s right... i cant even argue with that! .. but Tommy’s a dick... never listen to Tommy!

Comment

Originally posted by T4vancalledStan View Post

He’s right... i cant even argue with that! .. but Tommy’s a dick... never listen to Tommy!
                              Sound advice right here. PMSL

#vanlife

Comment

Working...
                              X