Lowering question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering question.

Can't find an answer to this anywhere, I'm about to lower the front of the van, do both sides need to be jacked up and axle stands or can I jack up and axle stand one side at a time? Want to make it as painless as possible. Cheers.

Originally posted by Jamieb16v View Post
    Can't find an answer to this anywhere, I'm about to lower the front of the van, do both sides need to be jacked up and axle stands or can I jack up and axle stand one side at a time? Want to make it as painless as possible. Cheers.
    To lower I never jacked it up ... just reached underneath , did a few turns each side then drove to let it settle then adjusted on level ground

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

Always support the body. If the bolts come away from the top locators (i.e. the nuts are seized) you will end up with the van coming down on you!

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk

Comment

Cheers mine are so tight they don't move at all. Probably do it on axle stands and heat them up a bit. Should get them moving.

Comment

Hi. Don't go. Under van without stands

Good luck

Comment

Wire brush the torsion bar threads then plusgas then repeat at least twice. When turning the 27mm nut have a good trolley jack under the sub frame but not taking any weight. Then if the torsion bar pops out the jack will "catch" the van. If you've used enough plusgas you wont have a problem.

Comment

I wasn't going to go under without stands, a mechanic near me died a few years ago when a van fell on him, I'll have a go tomorrow and let you all know. Cheers for all the advice this place is a goldmine of info, like a t4 Bible haha.

Comment

Hi. We all like to do our bit. To help others

Good luck

Comment

Easy on the heat, there's a plastic fuel tank right there.

Getting Plusgas on the thread above the arm so it runs down on to the top of the nut has helped me before.

Comment

No. No heat. Plusgas the penetrating oil.Those threads will turn nicely once cleaned and soaked in the stuff. I marked where I wanted to take them to with masking so you know how far you've moved them.As per the how to in the tec section.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                      No. No heat. Plusgas the penetrating oil.Those threads will turn nicely once cleaned and soaked in the stuff. I marked where I wanted to take them to with masking so you know how far you've moved them.As per the how to in the tec section.
                      Its quite difficult to ignite liquid diesel but no need to prove me wrong. Plusgas is by far the better route.

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                        Its quite difficult to ignite liquid diesel but no need to prove me wrong. Plusgas is by far the better route.
                        It's difficult to light liquid petrol as well either way you don't want to melt a hole in the tank.

As s49 said, clean the threads up well, apply penetrating oil, work the nuts back and forth, its often easier to tighten the nuts - clean the exposed bit of thread as corrosion normally builds on the underside of the nut - and then slacken them.

put a mark or a bit of tape on the socket and you can count turns easily, move the same amount both sides. When you drop the van back down it may look uneven; go for a bit of a drive to let the springs settle, then measure the wheel rim to arch gap, and adjust as required.

Comment

I usually wire brush the threads after they've soaked for a while, then plusgas them again.

Comment

Working...
                          X