No announcement yet.

T4 pd130

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what i meant, how thick or thin a plate should be? engine/gearbox mounts still ok? Aluminium or steel?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Just T4s

Comment

Probably needs new upper gearbox mount and definitely needs new engine mount because the engine is moved right, by the thickness of the adapter plate.

Comment

If i understood that right the plate got to have countersunk bolts in to the engine, and studs (like ford wheels) to fix the gearbox to it with nuts. So u can change the angle or even the pattern.
        15mm steel?
        A bit like a hub adapter?

Comment

That’s correct idea, but I couldn’t comment on the thickness of steel required for the strength

Comment

I just had a chat (pm) with Rob. I was unaware that Reg and Rob already on a spacer , already contacting suppliers.
            Didn't ment to interfere guys.
            But still offer help if wanted

Comment

No probs

Sent from my SM-T810 using Just T4s

Comment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153927921543

This guy fitted one into his van 3yrs ago ... he might chat about what’s involved ....

Comment

Shame he hadn't added some under bonnet photos.

Comment

I was gonna message and ask if any pics of gear box , looks like the gear stick is further back in the van

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

I know this an old thread but seems to be a popular question across forums so thought I would share.
                      2 years ago, I fitted a PD130 with the 6 speed gearbox from a 2002 VW Golf into my 1998 t4, I can't say it
                      was the easiest thing to do but far less complex than some believe it to be. The engine is standard other than EGR delete and stage one remap to the ECU,
                      been running on a single mass flywheel with no issues. I fitted the engine quite low which gives a good drive shaft angle and allows the engine to sit upright,
                      I have no sump or oil pickup mods everything is standard. For the drive shafts I have a standard T4 short shaft and the golf tdi long shaft using a T4 CV joint,
                      the long shaft has to have a 30mm spacer at the gearbox end for correct length although I am currently having one made to remove the spacer, as the inner boot has
                      split and it has to come out thought i'd change it. Gear shift is done by the golf box and cables, the box is mounted under the floor putting the stick in the
                      same location but did require some floor work, the cable although I saw posts saying you can use them as is I didn't find that to be correct.
                      The cables are far too long and cause stiffness in shifting if you try and find a home for excess,
                      so I cut them down to I think it was 21 inches to give a straight line to the box. Top Engine mounts I made complete and lower is the T4 back end and golf
                      to the gearbox, although this worked the golf part proved not up to the job and needs to be reinforced. Radiator and air con condenser from the golf, intercooler
                      from a BMW 535. Van had the electronic speedo so just a case of wiring the golf plug to the existing cables, speedo seams to read a constant 5mph over actual speed
                      but not something that bothered me enough to look into at the moment. Had to have one pipe made for the power steering. other than making the exhaust side exit
                      and lots of small jobs like boost pipes water pipes etc that's about it.
                      Been in the van for a couple of years and covered thousands of miles all over the country, it's very fast (for an old camper van) and does upset BMW drives
                      when you're still pulling at 100mph, fuel economy is good not measured it but seams good enough not to check, and so far,very reliable with no issues.
                      Happy to try answer any questions if someone wants to do it, tried to cover what I thought would concern most people but if I missed anything please ask
                      I will do my best to answer.
                      I'm sure I have some other pics of during build and obviously complete as is now if anyone wants to see them.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	20200822_171711.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	911.0 KB
ID:	348553

Comment

Cheers AndyT.
                        Welcome aboard.
                        How low is your van , what's the ground clearance like?
                        I 'd appreciate all the pics you can post up bud. Many would.

Comment

Ah be ya Andy and welcome to the forum. A historical build thread in the Engine Conversion section would be nice. I've done a 20 valve turbo swap in our 1.9td van. Have planned a VR6 for the doka but a less grumpy ole diesel like a PD could get my interest.

Comment

The Van is lowered but not to an uncomfortable amount, I will dig out the old pics and take some new ones under the front so you can see the clearance.

Comment

Was there a DPF in the golf exhaust and if so I assume you binned it. Did that then need deleting from the ECU?

Comment

I bailed a golf six speed PD in 2018. Seems like an own goal now. I spect I'll still go VR but back then I didn't know they'd fit but I have learned so much doing the 1.8 petrol turbo that I'm up for these sort a challenges these days. Especially as I don't have to earn a living in the trade now.

Comment

Working...
                                X