Snapped key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapped key

Hi all have just snapped my only key in the lock.. Have managed to get they key out but do you know if I can get another one cut with it being snapped? Or is it a replace the locks and ignition job?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Just T4s

If it can be clamped in the key cutter you may be able to get a replacement cut. Does yours have a transponder in the key? If so you could still get one cut but will need to tape the old fob to the steering column near enough for it to "talk" to the thing round the ignition barrel. If a key cutter/lock smith can copy your key get 2.

Comment

No transponder in the key just a bare key.. I'll give them a ring on Monday and see if they think they will be able to do it. Thank you

Comment

What usually happens is the key is clamped in a little vice which is moved and a blank key on the other half of the machine moves at the same time against a wheel and cuts a copy. That why if yours is worn you get a worn copy. I bought a genuine Vdub key from fleabay for ours and the shoe repairer stall in Skidderminster market cut it for a fiver.No chip as the immobilizer had been binned yonks ago.
        Last edited by S49; 30 April 2020, 06:15 AM.

Comment

There's only one key cutter locally to me as I'm in the arse end of nowhere in Somerset and he's a old school guy so not 100% sure what kit he has

Comment

Old guys are best.So could be your best bet. Enquired at Stimpsons in Ludlow and they'd only do their own supplied key. The old fella in Skiddy just said leave it with me for an hour and "bobs your uncle,fanny's your aunt"

Comment

The other thing, we used to be able at Volvo to get a key from the factory that was a straight fit. Worth a call to Vdub on the off chance.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                The other thing, we used to be able at Volvo to get a key from the factory that was a straight fit. Worth a call to Vdub on the off chance.
                Bit late - but yes you can get a key from VW, need to take your docs. Not as expensive as you might think.

Comment

Working...
                X