Oil dripping from driveshaft cv boot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil dripping from driveshaft cv boot.

Hi I seem to have oil dripping out of the drivers side gearbox cv boot ..on the end of the gearbox extension ( there is a tiny hole in the boot which I thought was the problem but on inspection the other cv boots have this hole as well.. poss a breather ?)..it does not look like its the seal in the gearbox trumpet that is leaking but is it possible for gearbox oil to get into the cv boot ? It is very black and runny not like you would expect cv boot grease to be like thanks in advance.

Depends if the cv boot has been regressed and what sort has been used. Check your gearbox oil mate if the level is ok i'd expect the seal in the trumpet to be ok. The cv boots shouldn't have any hole in as the centrifugal force would tend to throw grease out of it. Got a picture of the leak,the hole in the boots and the general trumpet area?

Comment

Hi. Cv boots don't have any holes. When the Cv grease gets warm it can thin up a bit and it will find any holes that should not be there

Good luck

Comment

​

Comment

You can see that the drive shaft coupling is dry the oil is dripping from the hole in the smallest part of the boot

Comment

Comment

The drip is the hole if I wipe it clean it takes 10 seconds for it to form a drip...I can not see how gearbox oil is getting into the boot even if the shaft seal was faulty .

Comment

Your pictures haven't worked mate but it sounds like you need a new cv boot kit.

Comment

Have the pics not come up ? I can see them

Comment

No mate just 3 little boxes with an X in them.

Comment

bollox never mind I am going to take the drive shaft out and replace the inner cv boot thanks for your help.

Comment

This is the cv boot in question ...see the hole looks like its meant to be but I guess that's not right
                        You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by S49 View Post
                          No mate just 3 little boxes with an X in them.
                          Hi can you see the latest pic ? cheers.

Comment

Yes mate I see that. If that's the hole it looks like it should be there but it shouldn't if you see what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                            X