2.4D Temperature Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4D Temperature Question...

So, usual problem with temp gauge not working or rather, working intermittently.

Decided to get an auxiliary gauge fitted for safety. Since then the temp gauge has been working all the time DOH!

However, just come back from a run in the mountains and on the climbs the temperature on the aux gauge crept up to 100+ a little bit. The standard gauge remained at half way.

I obviously don't want to be needing a new head gasket NOR new engine due to overheating.

Any one got suggestions on a) why the temperature should be going so high? b) why two gauges are reading differently? c) What is the MAX temperature that the engine can handle before going bang?

Thanks in advance.

The system is pressurised to raise the boiling point. Our vr6 corrado runs at about 90 to 100. Think the fan kicks in at 120 so you may not have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by T4-Portugal View Post
      Any one got suggestions on a) why the temperature should be going so high? b) why two gauges are reading differently? c) What is the MAX temperature that the engine can handle before going bang?

Thanks in advance.
      a) 100 degC is not high and well within the engines operating temp. b) the vans temp gauge scaling is set so that it shows 90degC when the water temp is anywhere between 74 and 115 degC (common on all VAG vehicles) your other gauge is reporting it more accurately. c) think it's 130deg C but the van will go into limp mode and also flash a MIL to stop. Just flush the coolant fluids once a year.

Thought your engine was a 2.5tdi ACV? If so scrap limp mode but you should get an audible and visual warning.....

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s
      Last edited by Activ8; 20 May 2018, 09:31 PM.

Comment

The aux temp gauge will read the true temperature,the dash one will read half way for normal operating temperature.
        Activ8 could explain it better and why

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

......as I said......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
            a) 100 degC is not high and well within the engines operating temp. b) the vans temp gauge scaling is set so that it shows 90degC when the water temp is anywhere between 74 and 115 degC (common on all VAG vehicles) your other gauge is reporting it more accurately. c) think it's 130deg C but the van will go into limp mode and also flash a MIL to stop. Just flush the coolant fluids once a year.

Thought your engine was a 2.5tdi ACV? If so scrap limp mode but you should get an audible and visual warning.....

Activ8 as helpful as always. Thank you!

The engine, which I always forget to mention is a 2.4D (non turbo)

So climbing a pretty steep hill, for several kms, in 27 degrees of full sun isn't considered an issue when the aux gauge starts climbing to 105C?

The standard gauge, which has worked perfectly since the aux gauge was fitted, sits at just below mid way, what seems like constantly.

The engine was reconditioned less than a year ago and I always use antifreeze mix when topping up the water. I was thinking about flushing the whole cooling system as a next step IF necessary.

Do your comments still apply to the 1997 2.4D engine?

Comment

Just checked the workshop manual and cannot see anything other than the thermostat fully opens at 105degC. I don't see why it would be any different than the tdi's ... but others with more 2.4d experience might be able to assist.

Comment

Hy. My. Temp gauge that does work constantly sits at 3/4 until the fans kick in and take it to halfway. Mine is a 2.4 turbo. Is yours an early van

Good luck

Comment

Mines a 2.4 d and the gauge sits just above half way until I go up a big hill then it sits just under 3/4. I've been told that anywhere from half to 3/4 is normal.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Just T4s

Comment

Hi. Yeah I would not be worried by that at all when it goes over 3/4 then you have a problem somewhere

Good luck

Comment

My 2.4d runs mid way on the gauge, even after the turbo conversion with intercooler

Sent from my SM-G935F using Just T4s

Comment

My 1993 2.4D Karmann Gipsy (i.e. a big old coachbuilt camper) suddenly started to run approx 10-deg warmer than usual.
                        It always ran at 90 but would rise to 100 on long hills/when towing etc however, following the winter lay-up, the gauge is now reading 10-deg hotter. i.e. it sits at 100 now / occasionally rises to 105/110 under extreme load.
                        I've replaced the temp sensors (top and bottom) and flushed the system etc etc yet it remains the same.
                        I took it to a local garage and they couldn't find any obvious issues. They suggested it might be a gauge issue however, it seems odd that it runs/rises exactly as it did before albeit 10-deg warmer?
                        I've yet to fit an auxiliary gauge however, I have used an infra-red temp gun thingy to compare the top hose / bottle / rad etc with a friend's 1.9TD and they appear to be within a degree or two of each other at each point.

I've covered approx 4k miles through the uk/europe (hills/towing etc etc) this summer and, while it still bothers me, it seems that, other than reading almost exactly 10-deg higher than before (through all driving conditions / weather etc), it runs/performs exactly as before (and doesn't ever creep any higher etc).

OK, maybe the gauge is at fault but, I think I'll try a fresh thermostat next... any other suggestions?

Comment

Are your rad fans kicking in?

Comment

Was going to suggest a fresh thermostat, if after that and a flush if it don't use water or over heat it may well be the gauge playing up.

Comment

re rad fans - yes, they seem to be working fine
                              warmed up (@ 100 now) they kick in and out as before (@90) / i.e. don't appear to be running any harder than before. (I've replaced the temp sensor for the fans, too)

re: thermostat - It isn't using any water (and has been flushed etc) and hasn't shown any signs of overheating (i.e. it runs exactly as it always has, albeit showing 10-deg higher on the gauge)
                              I guess a new 'stat is the next step - then perhaps I need to find a spare set of gauges?
                              Last edited by Paul Knight; 3 July 2019, 01:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X