My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
    If the volvo fly is not entirely suitable it would still assist the mocking up process - especially if it had a clutch plate attached.

I take it the ZF is to replace what I have now? I'm hoping I can nurse it long enough to get the 6 speed in.
    It "could" be an alternative to a 240mm fly using your existing 228mm SMF flywheel (same physical size) with the 6 speed gear box (23 teeth) (02B is 28 teeth). Haven't found the correct clutch pressure plate yet though.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s
    Last edited by Activ8; 6 September 2018, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• Got an email from Amazon today. It was out of stock for some time but they've made some additions and tweaks...
      maXpeedingrods T3 T4 T04E Universal Turbo Turbocharger Piping Kit Intercooler External Wastegate https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CTLN9..._E26KBbRBJQG7X

All in one kit for £599!

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
        Got an email from Amazon today. It was out of stock for some time but they've made some additions and tweaks...
        maXpeedingrods T3 T4 T04E Universal Turbo Turbocharger Piping Kit Intercooler External Wastegate https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CTLN9..._E26KBbRBJQG7X

All in one kit for £599!
        Is that not the same chineseum turbo I posted up ages ago?

Been busy on the van, trying to find the source of the oil leak. Now it looks like this.

The oil return line has been bent a few times trying to fit and remove it, and it never really fitted properly.

Removing the oil line I managed to shear the pipe fitting off. Bollocks.

At least the turbo could now be removed and the wastegate sorted.

Found the leak - the oil return flange was a bit loose. I could have just nipped it up in situ without breaking anything. Bollocks.

Now I can't really weld up a new oil line because I cannot get to it with the turbo in place.

The plan is to now extricate my spare engine from the back of the garage mock everything up on the spare engine and then transfer it back into the van

Comment

• Could be similar but without the wastegate as it uses a BOV. It's still blurb in terms of performance.

Is the oil return flange stainless or aluminium? The Chinesium ali flanges can never be nipped up tight enough and hold for any length of time.

Comment

Could be similar but without the wastegate as it uses a BOV. It's still blurb in terms of performance.

Is the oil return flange stainless or aluminium? The Chinesium ali flanges can never be nipped up tight enough and hold for any length of time.

You want a wastegate over a bov on a densil.

Flange is original stainless Volvo. Now using vw one.

Comment

• [QUOTE=regcheeseman;111530]You want a wastegate over a bov on a densil.

Now I’m quite down with my rhyming slang but this is a new one on me..

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
              Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Comment

You want a wastegate over a bov on a densil.

Flange is original stainless Volvo. Now using vw one.
                I can map & control a wastegate , a BOV with a full set of springs could be a really useful idea but just one spring at 15psi....[emoji13]

Comment

• Clutch plate arrived early - did you get one from the jungle?

Comment

I can map & control a wastegate , a BOV with a full set of springs could be a really useful idea but just one spring at 15psi....[emoji13]
                    The control is an issue but also dumping the high pressure side is not as good an idea as bleeding power past the turbine as a wastegate does.

BOVs (non-recirc) are typically used as a secondary protection on an oil burner.

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                    Clutch plate arrived early - did you get one from the jungle?
                    What is this jungle you keep referring too?

Didn't get one as it's just a plate and a puck one at that.

So my van...

See that threaded fitting pointing directly at camera between ports 2 and 3 ? It's the oil return line.

Last night I was tired I just couldn't work my head round this pipe on the van and it's mating half requirement on the turbo. I wasted an hour staring at it and trying different combos of bits of pipe. But basically got nowhere.

This morning I looked at removing the whole pipe from the van and that looked far too much hassle as well so I just tried to fab something up, and this time when I looked at it, it was much easier than it looked the night before.

This was the first go

Didn't work, but at least it was close. Just needed to shorten it a bit more and tweak a bit of a bend in.

I cut the fitting off in the lathe, cut the pipe down on a slight angle and re-fitted the threaded fitting

But the gas had run out on the TIG.

Strangely it welded just fine, tungsten got a bit too hot and threatened melting but it was fine in the end

And fitted

You can just see it between the cast exhaust manifold and the aluminium turbo compressor housing

Just finished putting the bits all back on - started fine and no obvious oil leaks.

The observant (Activ) might have noticed that the port on the wastegate actuator is now blocked, I was force feeding this boost to force the leaky wastegate shut - I am hoping that the cleaned (again) wastegate will no longer leak and it'll hold boost without assistance.

Test drive tomorrow....
                    Last edited by regcheeseman; 9 September 2018, 11:30 PM.

Comment

• So do you think a BOV could be useful in the higher powered applications? Bypassing the turbo altogether?

Jungle = Amazon
                      Got 3 paddle plates.

Nice work with the new return pipe.

Did you remove the actuator valve?

Comment

So do you think a BOV could be useful in the higher powered applications? Bypassing the turbo altogether?

Jungle = Amazon
                        Got 3 paddle plates.

Nice work with the new return pipe.

Did you remove the actuator valve?
                        No, id' not use a BOV on its own

Actuator valve? Do you mean the N75 - in which case no, it's all set up as per stock.

Comment

No, id' not use a BOV on its own

Actuator valve? Do you mean the N75 - in which case no, it's all set up as per stock.
                          Hmmm OK.

Wastegate actuator not N75.
                          Interested to hear how it now runs with the top vacuum port blocked in comparison to pressure being applied.

Comment

Hmmm OK.

Wastegate actuator not N75.
                            Interested to hear how it now runs with the top vacuum port blocked in comparison to pressure being applied.

Yep wastegate actuator still plumbed.

I've a nasty suspicion I'll be back to around 8-10 psi max boost peaking briefly then collapsing to 5

Comment

Yep wastegate actuator still plumbed.

I've a nasty suspicion I'll be back to around 8-10 psi max boost peaking briefly then collapsing to 5
                              Yep - spring and diaphragm holds about 9-10psi but that's what happened earlier in the year...

Comment

Yep - spring and diaphragm holds about 9-10psi but that's what happened earlier in the year...

Are you/Colin shutting the wastegate using any different methods?

Boost pressure makes no difference on the wastegate operation as it is not in the boost circuit.

Something must be going on with differential exhaust manifold pressures either side of the turbine - I'm trying to work it out in my head whilst pretending to do some work but I had a couple of stellas last night and all I have at the moment is the monkey on a tricycle playing cymbals on a tricycle in my head.

Comment

Working...
                                X