My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
    Ah OK....my err - I forgot I'm using the Volvo cam cover and breather which is different and feeds off to the right.

Refit the AJT manifold with a little porting and an adaptor which lifts the turbo and allows for more porting.

Plus you can play with the new turbo whilst you're building the new manifold....

Are you still using the AJT inlet manifold. I wondered whether thats creating your airflow/intake losses higher up the rev range? Our Volvo units don't seem to have the same unburnt fuel problem.

If I fit the AJT manifold that means the down pipe and possibly the oil return needs to be modified - and I still have a worn turbo and knackered wastegate. Waste of time.

Still using the AJT manifold and you may have a point, though the black smoke at low revs/no boost/WOT and then again at high revs/WOT seems to have gone - this may be down to the exhaust dispersing it differently or as I suspect - I removed the intercooler pipe connector that kept blowing off because it was on a curved pipe and replaced the pipe completely using a 90 degree silicone elbow instead of two straight silicone couplers and a piece of ally pipe with about 70 degrees of a 90 degree bend in it.

Whatever, at least the pipe stayed in place.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
      If I fit the AJT manifold that means the down pipe and possibly the oil return needs to be modified - and I still have a worn turbo and knackered wastegate. Waste of time.

Still using the AJT manifold and you may have a point, though the black smoke at low revs/no boost/WOT and then again at high revs/WOT seems to have gone - this may be down to the exhaust dispersing it differently or as I suspect - I removed the intercooler pipe connector that kept blowing off because it was on a curved pipe and replaced the pipe completely using a 90 degree silicone elbow instead of two straight silicone couplers and a piece of ally pipe with about 70 degrees of a 90 degree bend in it.

Whatever, at least the pipe stayed in place.
      Oil return will still function albeit a little longer than needed & the DP mod will be necessary for your new manifold anyway plus it better places the turbo. Did you think about not turning the turbo 180° & pulling the air/inlet/apollo from the front with the Volvo ex manifold? Reversing the current IC flow - easy with the AJT inlet manifold & Allard.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

Oil return will still function albeit a little longer than needed & the DP mod will be necessary for your new manifold anyway plus it better places the turbo. Did you think about not turning the turbo 180° & pulling the air/inlet/apollo from the front with the Volvo ex manifold? Reversing the current IC flow - easy with the AJT inlet manifold & Allard.

Oil return will be too short or at wrong angle

Yes the dp will need modding - but I'd rather do it once than twice

Cant turn the turbo 180 - wont fit.

No point getting it sorted to make more power - the clutch is dying

Which is why I want the gearbox sorted with new clutch

Talking of which..... what clutch and fly do I need to buy?
        Last edited by regcheeseman; 3 September 2018, 10:53 PM.

Comment

• I should of started a new paragraph re the 180°. Initial comments referred to the AJT manifold. So you could keep the oil return.

I'm sure Brookster got his to fit first time round but tried to copy the offside air intake and failed to draw enough air through then spun it 180° to copy the OEM layout.

Comment

• Did you speak to Techniclutch about it failing? Can't have done too many miles since fitting it?

Comment

Did you speak to Techniclutch about it failing? Can't have done too many miles since fitting it?
              Sent a whiney email - heard nothing, gave up.

Comment

• Techniclutch may be able to help as you'll need an AXG/AHY 240mm 8 bolt DMF flywheel , they may have an SMF replacement. Clutch is ;

Diameter [mm]: 240
                Hub Profile: 21,8x24,2-23N
                Number of Teeth: 23
                Parameter: 240C

Matches OEM
                034141032L,
                078141031C,
                078141031D,
                078141031N

Comment

Sent a whiney email - heard nothing, gave up.
                  Not like you to "give-up". Send them a registered letter advising you'll take them through the Small Claims Court - it normally gets someone's attention.

Comment

Not like you to "give-up". Send them a registered letter advising you'll take them through the Small Claims Court - it normally gets someone's attention.

Nope, I'm typical brit - like to whinge but not actually complain.

Comment

Techniclutch may be able to help as you'll need an AXG/AHY 240mm 8 bolt DMF flywheel , they may have an SMF replacement. Clutch is ;

Diameter [mm]: 240
                      Hub Profile: 21,8x24,2-23N
                      Number of Teeth: 23
                      Parameter: 240C

Matches OEM
                      034141032L,
                      078141031C,
                      078141031D,
                      078141031N

Found this during a brief search last night

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seat-Alte...4/131929233104

Comment

Found this during a brief search last night

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seat-Alte...4/131929233104
                        Looks OK but the flywheel will be 6 hole type.

I've got a Volvo D5252T engine with 240mm DMF flywheel on it that I need to collect when Im back. I'll compare my AXG flywheel to it and if suitable you can have it, might be a ZF SRE option for it too?

Have you looked on eday.de for an AXG/AHY flywheel?

Techniclutch should be able to rebore a 240mm blank SMF for you then you could add your own clutch and pressure plates.

Comment

• Had another whinge at Techniclutch but a quick google tells me I may not get any joy.

I'll not buy anything more from them.

Wish I hadn't moaned about my mates van dropping oil on my drive now....

Was under the van replacing a downpipe rubber mount and the underside of the van is completely covered with oil, all down the back of the engine , dripping off everywhere - no wonder it was all over the rear doors.

Looks like oil return on the turbo - either the flange to the turbo or the pipe couplings.

Turbo's coming out so I can do the wastegate at the same time.

Pain in the cods - back on the tredder for a few days.

Comment

• At the moment you dont know whether its the kevlar clutch plate or the pressure plate thats failing without pulling it apart... its an expensve 228mm lightened flywheel either way. Didnt they specify 40k mileage when you exchanged Q&A's? Small claims done online is worth the effort. You'd just need an independant 3rd party to knock up a "clutch failed" report for you for £50.

Its one way of topping up your under sealing Reg!
                            Ive a few Volvo return pipes if you need one. Dipstick connection is M18, Im using M18 to AN10 adaptor connection and pipework on the return. Avail from Motamec (?) In Wales.

Comment

• Found this ZF SRE clutch info today whilst buying some parts ... it's identical sizing as above but for the equivalent 228mm clutch plate with the 23 toothed VW gearbox. Part number 881861 000020. Max torque according to ZF is 400Nm though.

Comment

• If the volvo fly is not entirely suitable it would still assist the mocking up process - especially if it had a clutch plate attached.

I take it the ZF is to replace what I have now? I'm hoping I can nurse it long enough to get the 6 speed in.

Comment

Working...
                                X