My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
    Yep - you should have been there - It was so funny.

Knobber in his BMW convertible 4 litre pride and joy - with his missus/girlfriend by his side and some twat in a van with gay orange wheels catches him napping.

He should have obliterated me - but he turned out to be a bit of a fanny.

Think it may be time for a session on the rollers and a post on the t4 forum for rake.
    Hows the smoke? Give it a couple of weeks to clean up the Stanadynes. Still need a logrun to confirm whats happening with channels 3,8 & 11 and the N75 duty cycle.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
      Hows the smoke? Give it a couple of weeks to clean up the Stanadynes. Still need a logrun to confirm whats happening with channels 3,8 & 11 and the N75 duty cycle.

Unfortunately the smoke is all but gone, still got the white on start up.

I want to see what the N75 is having to do to overcome the extra pressure closing the wastegate.

Then fit the decent injectors.

Comment

Unfortunately the smoke is all but gone, still got the white on start up.
        That was Colins choice as he asked for backing off the ignition fueling which ended up at -25%, & closed the N75 to weaken the AFR.
        Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
        I want to see what the N75 is having to do to overcome the extra pressure closing the wastegate.
        When can you do a run?
        Has it dropped into limp mode yet, if so, at what point?
        Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
        Then fit the decent injectors.
        [emoji86] [emoji85] [emoji87]

Comment

When can you do a run?
          Has it dropped into limp mode yet, if so, at what point?

I will try and do a run.

It has dropped into limp twice - both only noticed when I've been cruising on a light throttle for a while, then hit an incline and realised there was nothing there, I dont know if its limping as I back off prior to cruising for a while or going into limp whilst running on a very light throttle.

Need to try and capture this.

Clear codes first because I'll still have the under boost deviation faults - I dont think its still that.

Do you have wastegate actuator on the bench? Where's the spring sited and how is it pre-loaded?

Driveshafts and bits turned up today

Comment

• I'm on it - as soon as we get that logrun.

Got a wastegate at Colins. Will check for you next week.

Any idea where that intermediate drive shaft mount/bearing will be mounted?

Comment

Any idea where that intermediate drive shaft mount/bearing will be mounted?
              Has to pick up on the block the same as the original - I've been looking for a spare engine to mock up intake manifold, exhaust manifold and gearbox adaptor plate.

Missed the opportunity to pick one up for £80 a few months ago - not found anything for sensible money since.

Comment

• Ive got a few cylinder heads and a complete Volvo engine.

I reckon the gearbox trumpet from my HDV gearbox is easily removable and will swap with the GRF so a single driveshaft could be used?

Comment

• Nice flange!

Click image for larger version

Name:	flange.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	263653

Comment

• Is that LibreCAD your using Reg? For windows?

Comment

Is that LibreCAD your using Reg? For windows?

It is - on shape didn't like my aged laptop, autocad don't publish an old enough version to suit either

LibreCad seemed fine - then started crashing when I tried to zoom or pan, stepped back a few versions and it seems to work.

Lete me have any sketches of parts you'd like and I can bundle them in one job and get a sensible price. Did you want a five pot flange?

Comment

It is - on shape didn't like my aged laptop, autocad don't publish an old enough version to suit either

LibreCad seemed fine - then started crashing when I tried to zoom or pan, stepped back a few versions and it seems to work.

Lete me have any sketches of parts you'd like and I can bundle them in one job and get a sensible price. Did you want a five pot flange?
                        Just downloaded LibreCAD for Ubuntu software. Will take a look at the learning curve to draw anything meaningful. Yes if possible I would like 3x 5 pot flanges for a single and twin turbo self build. What thickness are you making these flanges from?

Comment

• When do you want the sketches / drawings by? What else are you planning to have made? Inlet / Exhaust / Gearbox / ????

Comment

Just downloaded LibreCAD for Ubuntu software. Will take a look at the learning curve to draw anything meaningful. Yes if possible I would like 3x 5 pot flanges for a single and twin turbo self build. What thickness are you making these flanges from?
                            10 or 12mm stainless - Any preference?

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                            When do you want the sketches / drawings by? What else are you planning to have made? Inlet / Exhaust / Gearbox / ????
                            Inlet I intend to use the original or volvo flange and runners

Gearbox bits will be separate jobs - there's the initial adaptor plate and flywheel spacer. then it'll need mounting brackets for outrigger bearing and gearbox top and pendulum mounts plus whatever I do with the driveshafts.

It is unlikely that the driveshafts will be a matched pair - because the gearbox will be spaced at least 10 - 12mm off the engine by the adaptor plate, even the nearside driveshaft will have to be shortened, unless there's some real good fortune in the new gearbox geometry or there is a suitable shaft available off the shelf.

Comment

• Here's the Volvo wastegate valve and housing pics. Diaphragm and spring are inbetween the vacuum top and pressure side port. Spring resistance is between 10-11psi. Wastegate is sealed by the valve spring and is compressed by about 5mm when fitted. Pressure from the manifold is directed up to the valve face pushing the valve open.

Last edited by Activ8; 17 April 2018, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Pressure from the manifold is directed up to the valve face pushing the valve open.
                                Yep - it certainly is.

You had a spare wastegate that you had hacked into? Or Colin did? Dremel off that vee band?

Had a thought last night - moment of clarity - when you were talking about using an MBC, you meant to have it paralleled with the N75 to create an additional control signal. I was thinking you were trying to use it to modify the boost pressure I'm using to hold the wastegate shut - hence why I couldn't see how it would work.

I need to get a fixed preload on my wastegate because at the moment the turbo cannot make boost properly with a wastegate slightly open, it cannot close that wastegate until it starts to make boost = catch 22.

Meanwhile.....wheels are being collected by courier today and there's a dyno day next Saturday (28th) at a mates garage - planning to go and get some figures.

Comment

Working...
                                X