My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front panel complete and waiting for a switch

I've added a strip across the top of the centre console to hide the gap where the unit (doesn't quite) meet the underside of the dash

And finally this came through the post.

Yay! it's official.

Comment

There was a birthday in the family

I bought a headlight upgrade loom from extremevan a few months ago and finally got around to fit it, I like to keep mods like this as factory and unobvious as possible so fitted it under the front slam panel, the mounting holes lined up with existing holes in the panel so two rivets and it was fixed.

You can see it better from this angle

The loom was a bit short but fitted on one side and a good 12" too long on the passenger side, if I had mounted the relays on he bulkhead it would have never reached the drivers side at least not if you use the factory loom mounting points.

However when I tried the lights there was no high beam on drivers side, I assumed it was the cheapo upgrade lamps fitted at the same time but they tested fine and there was no power at the terminal. Fuses and relays all checked fine then I noticed a terminal wasn't fitted in the housing and the locating tab was bent back the wrong way....odd, it looked like it had been forced out of the housing.

A quick check showed that the wrong spade terminal was fitted, too small, the relay just pushed it out of the housing

Correct terminal fitted and all works fine, 14v at the lamp terminals on idle and intense white headlights.

Comment

So the headlight upgrade was a worthwhile mod?

Comment

Oh yes definitely, I also upped the wattage of the lamps as well, safe in the knowledge that the new loom will supply the power. Because of the voltage available the lights are now a bright white instead of an off white.

Comment

Well, first proper night drive this evening and what can I say but WOW!

Probably the best mod I've done to my T4, on a par with the short shift mod - bang for buck.

The lights are immense, the best headlights I've ever had on any vehicle - the 80/100 lamps probably help

Comment

Does make a lot of difference

Comment

Taken me some time going through this thread! Some cracking skills and a few questions for you. Does the black roof cause the van to get hot as seen a few but me brain keeps thinking it's gonna get hot. I noticed the leisure battery is in the back. Are the cables run inside van or underneath then brought up? Them there shiny non colour coded bumpers ain't bad. I'm still happy with my matching 90s chavtastic ones though 😂😂 at least when I get bored I guess I'll not have to go through the whole prep work to chance colour.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Just T4s

Comment

Originally posted by sbrme View Post
                  Taken me some time going through this thread! Some cracking skills and a few questions for you. Does the black roof cause the van to get hot as seen a few but me brain keeps thinking it's gonna get hot.
                  Glad you took the time, pretty small build by my normal standards, but hampered by having to use the van daily - looked a right state for several months. Fair transformation from start to finish though.

Dunno, it's a tin box with a load of glass in it - gets as hot as you can imagine, black roof or not - I had to hide those bloody stripes!

I noticed the leisure battery is in the back. Are the cables run inside van or underneath then brought up?
                  Cable from fuse box near battery (I hate non oem looking ring terminals bodged onto battery) through the bulk head to a split charge relay on the firewall, then a hefty lead back through the van to the battery. I did think about putting the battery under the seat but the space behind the wheel arch is useful, accessing the battery to charge it if necessary is easy and it is the ideal place to hook up to the amps which need a serious feed so I would have had to run a serious cable to the back of the van regardless.

Them there shiny non colour coded bumpers ain't bad. I'm still happy with my matching 90s chavtastic ones though ���� at least when I get bored I guess I'll not have to go through the whole prep work to chance colour.
                  heh heh!

Mine are painted - they got prepped with plastic primer then filler primer because they were a mess and needed repair, oh and fitting the intercooler grille in the front bumper

Comment

Mines a learning process and the landy is up for sale to fund a few more bits my bumpers were scuffed so had to prep them. There not brilliant but look a load better. In fact it looks clean now compared to a load I saw at the show sat so I'm happy with that even if it's not perfect at least it's clean and free from holes.

My battery has exactly as you say around 6 wires on each terminal, so I may well fit a fuse box on the bulk head. Jury still out on where to fit battery. Liked the idea of the twin tray under boot but as you say if fitting amps etc I'll still need to run decent size cable. My other thought is if decide to fit a solar panel then the fed back would be easier if battery setup all at the rear.

Sent from my SM-T705 using Just T4s

Comment

There's a fuse box there already - in fact two.

One in the engine bay with a few spare terminals for hefty feeds, and the one in the cab has loads of spare feeds.

Keep it tidy and oem - the cheapo fuse boxes are poorly made and after a few seasons of corrosion you'll be chasing electrical gremlins away.

Comment

I remember reading about those fuse boxes in another of your posts Reg and I thought how usefull it was then. Ta.
                        Me cago en la madre que te pariĆ³!

Comment

Had a set of 0.216 volvo injectors stashed on the shelf for at least 12 months - bought them to replace the tired standynes and then got distracted by other projects...

The extension and porch is near enough finished now so time to get back on the van.

Stripped the injectors and decided that I might as well get new nozzle, bought a set of 'Bosch' DSLA 150P 764 and then discovered they aint the .216 size they were advertised as, they've gone back and the search started again.

I've settled on some .240 Gibonta nozzles for far more than I wanted to pay for nozzles, then to top it off, AND as is my way (I never pay for someone else to do something or me) I've bought a pop tester as well.

The injectors are stripped - that was the easy bit

Tonight I've blown the dust off my VAG COM and VCDS stuff that I bought even before the volvo injectors and trying to re-learn all that goes with it again.

Plan is to build the injectors, flash a clone ECU, then map that and aim for 180 brake as a starter.....

I'm also looking at building a manifold to run a BMW 530 turbo or similar and then try to break the gearbox - any excuse to build a new gearbox with a proper diff and aim for 130 mph plus T4. Watch this space - it wont be a quick project as I've a few other (lots) of other T4s to tune this summer and they are stacking up but it'll get done.

Don't worry Dave Sausages -

I still owe you big time for building my roof (and drawing all the cocks)your van is top of the list for some cheeseman magic - once I've fitted your TDI, I'll have some big nozzles, pop testing gear and the remapping kit to play with.

Oh and I want a full 2.5" system - so may as well build two....

Comment

I'm sure there must be a joke about your fine wood here somewhere.... 130mph t4... now that sounds fun [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s

Comment

nice work reg I love the 60s carpet your intercooler grill to bumper is awesome a good job done there dude.

Comment

The carpet lasted a few days before I admitted to making a hideous mistake and ripped it out - I stashed it in the loft thinking it may come in handy but I couldn't even face using it in the garage.

I'm chuffed with the intercooler though, subtle and works well.

Injectors rebuilt

Only received four of the five nozzles I ordered

Waiting for my pop tester to turn up now.

Comment

Working...
                                X