• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
    Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Comment

• Nice to see this thread back on track. At least us mere mortals can understand picture of engines, all that mapping stuff is too far away for me.
      Top thread Reg, thanks and keep it coming.
      Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• ...and it's always a proper & thorough job. Great thread Reg.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Just T4s

Comment

• Cheers peeps!

Few bits done today, nothing worthy of a photograph though.

Gearbox filled with oil,

Torsion bar adjusters removed, cleaned up and oiled until the adjuster will spin up and down easily, refitted and then coated in grease.

Previously rusty areas primed with electrox and dusted with a bit of satin black.

Here's where I try and justify the confusing stuff Activ is so fond off and link it to the oily spannery stuff us mortals know and understand.......

On one of the last logruns when I had a clutch, Activ picked up that the airflow wasn't quite reaching the peak that it should, being 20% down on what it should be at the top end of the revs.

Bit of lateral thinking on my half, when I did the cam and pump belts all the timings (cam and pump) were spot on. Fast forward a few thousand miles later and the pump has gone out of time - indicating that something might have slipped somewhere.

Now as the pump is driven from the cam, it's not inconceivable that the timing end may have slipped and as well as the pump being out in relation to the crank but the cam timing is also out.

Inspired bit of thinking really as slightly out valve timing would result in a drop in airflow through the engne - valve opening to early or closing too late would have the undesired effect.

Bit of a pain to check the cam timing as it throws the pump timing out, but it needs to be done.

So with the pulley off it turns out the cam timing is still spot on - back to the drawing board on that lack of airflow issue then. Still at least it's one thing eliminated.

Filter is pretty new, MAF is 3 years old and genuine - could possibly be the turbo as it was a bit stiff to turn, which I'd hoped was due to being sat and would free up, maybe it didn't....

On a positive note, the intercooler pipes were clean so at least the turbo is not passing oil as was originally suspected.

Comment

• Is it all back together and driving... keen to hear how the clutch beds in (500mile run-in?) although being kevlar it should be pretty quick....

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
              Is it all back together and driving... keen to hear how the clutch beds in (500mile run-in?) although being kevlar it should be pretty quick....

Nope,

Cam cover still off, I want to clean it up and replace the oil breather seal that was ripped to shreds.

Going to rewire the crank sensor or at least double check the wiring - still suspicious of that jumpy timing graph - no intermittent signal type fault codes ever though???

Shocks need to be fitted, waiting for Sausages to sort me out there.....might be some lows involved

Oh and schutz the arches.

Few more days on the tredder.

Comment

• Blooming cold so I've not been near the van or the garage, except to whip the battery out and stick it on charge.

Decided to brave it tonight and ended up with this

So why the cardboard box?

Ghetto spray booth and baking oven

Washed the cover off then dried it with the hot air gun to warm it a bit and warmed the rattle can at the same time.

Hot air gun in one hand and the spray can in the other I laid on a few coats.

Then put the gun on low in the box and put the lid on it and left it for 10 minutes.

Comment

• Cracking idea. If course, if I did that I would set the house on fire somehow.
                  Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Ghetto spray booth....love it.

Comment

• Fantastic! I replaced the wings on my lads Zr (I know!). The one wing had water marks come through the lacquer. Tried flatting it back but when dry they still showed through. As a last resort I got the heat gun out and played it lightly over the wing and hey presto they disappeared! Saved me respraying the wing in the end.

Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
                        Cracking idea. If course, if I did that I would set the house on fire somehow.
                        I didn't leave it unattended as I had exactly the same concerns .

Was also a bit worried, spraying paint with an intense heat source in the other hand - just waiting for the resultant fireball and subsequent lack of eyebrows/hair etc!

Comment

• I'm disappointed Reg, why not orange as a backdrop to the polished alloy intercooler pipes... [emoji4]

Comment

• Great job with bags of ingenuity - as usual!

Comment

• Originally posted by rjhoy02 View Post
                              Fantastic! I replaced the wings on my lads Zr (I know!). The one wing had water marks come through the lacquer. Tried flatting it back but when dry they still showed through. As a last resort I got the heat gun out and played it lightly over the wing and hey presto they disappeared! Saved me respraying the wing in the end.

Sent from my vernee_M5 using Tapatalk
                              [emoji33] [emoji85] [emoji86] [emoji87] [emoji33] there's one still running?!

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
                                Blooming cold so I've not been near the van or the garage, except to whip the battery out and stick it on charge.

Decided to brave it tonight and ended up with this

So why the cardboard box?

Ghetto spray booth and baking oven

Washed the cover off then dried it with the hot air gun to warm it a bit and warmed the rattle can at the same time.

Hot air gun in one hand and the spray can in the other I laid on a few coats.

Then put the gun on low in the box and put the lid on it and left it for 10 minutes.
                                If I ever wanted to get rid of someone in the same room as me on site I used to start heating up a rattle can. “ is that safe?” “ not really” couldn’t see them for dust!

Sent from my iPhone using Just T4s
                                Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

Comment

Working...
                                X