Maaaan. You are fuckin good at this.
      Cheers, I do try.

Finished off the seat today

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191223_123821[1].jpg
Views:	291
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	284260

Well, mostly. There's a panel to go across the front, it's cut and I was thinking of leaving it in the natural wood or maybe stained but I'm not sure, I tried it and it looked a bit odd, might look ok with other wood panels treated the same way in the van or I might do something else.

This is the storage area created under the seat

Name:	IMG_20191223_123830[1].jpg
Views:	297
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	284261

And with the seat folded flat, part of the platform for loading or a bed is created.

Name:	IMG_20191223_123849[1].jpg
Views:	292
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	284262

All needs a good clean, as working in a small space, it's picked up all the sawdust and the odd rogue spray of trimfix which will come off with WD40 and a rub with a cloth.

Comment

• Can you reverse the rear seat with the revised seat belt fixings? Also not all the rails run to the rear - was there a reason to keep the outer rails short?

A nice panel pocket in the slider and on the opposite offside panel would be useful. Any plans to utilise the rail fixings for a central console or tables? Lovely looking seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
          Can you reverse the rear seat with the revised seat belt fixings? Also not all the rails run to the rear - was there a reason to keep the outer rails short?

A nice panel pocket in the slider and on the opposite offside panel would be useful. Any plans to utilise the rail fixings for a central console or tables? Lovely looking seats.
          You cannot reverse individual seats because the rail spacings are not equal, you could reverse both seats but I see no reason why I would ever need to? The seats are planned not to run to the back as again I see no point. You could put a third row in as three of the five rails run to the back - but that is not the reason they are there, there is no real reason for them being there apart for their potential as tie down points or to secure a kitchen pod.
          There will be cupboards of a sort along the side, not a lot alongside the O/S seat, that area will locate the leisure battery, planar heater, inverter charger, amps, one speaker, and arm rest and a cubby hole. Behind the seats on both side will be larger storage areas that extend further into the van - this is the reason the seats have not been installed to slide fully to the rear of the van.

As you need a fixed table for camper van status, yes I will make a table that locates into the rails.

One thing I overlooked in the planning, that new seat belt anchorage - the plan was to have the storage areas flush with the sides of the seats, as it is the anchorage and bolt stick out too far (and are unsightly).I may have to move the anchorage in or relocate it to the back panel of the seats. I think there is enough gap to fit the anchorage end of the belt down between the wooden ply facing and the frame with a possible bit of trimming to the ply.
          Last edited by regcheeseman; 23 December 2019, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• The storage under those seats is handy, I keep a bunch of shopping bags on one side and a tow strap, seat cover and hivis under the other.

Comment

• Originally posted by d-9 View Post
              The storage under those seats is handy, I keep a bunch of shopping bags on one side and a tow strap, seat cover and hivis under the other.
              See the blue bag behind the seats? That has my hi-vis, tow rope + jump leads, breaker bar, socket sets, grips, pliers, wire, screw drivers, fuses, gloves, rags, cable ties, tyre sealant etc in it.
              I had general camping stuff in the drawer under my bed in the old set up - mini camping stove, blankets, candles, rope, curtains, watrerproofs - probably be more of the same under the new seats, but there is more space now.

2 Shopping bags live in the drivers door pocket, anywhere else and I always forget them and there's no way I'll pay 5p for a carrier bag.

Comment

• With Friday afternoon off and a recent post elsewhere, I thought I'd better get on with fitting my planar heater.

First thing was to take out the seats and gain access to the top of the diesel tank

Name:	IMG_20200103_141747[1].jpg
Views:	289
Size:	308.0 KB
ID:	284960

The cover is under the round section of acoustic matting, with the cover removed you gain access to the sender/pick up unit

Name:	IMG_20200103_142358[1].jpg
Views:	268
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	284961

Tapping the screw top around and you can withdraw the unit and leave it to drain

Name:	IMG_20200103_143449[1].jpg
Views:	270
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	284964

whilst I work out what to do with the pick up tube, turns out I cut it down to 260mm

Name:	IMG_20200103_150427[1].jpg
Views:	267
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	284962

Drill and tap the cover, screw in the pick up tube and then bond it in place with some JB weld

Name:	IMG_20200103_152128[1].jpg
Views:	265
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	284963

re-fit the sender unit, fit the pipes and check the van starts and stays running

Name:	IMG_20200103_142151[1].jpg
Views:	269
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	284965

run the pipe down behind the tank, and run it through chassis rails via some grommets that I fitted to existing holes, I also slit a section of pipe so I could fit it over the pipe with some tape to stop the chassis rail from chaffing the pipe

Name:	IMG_20200103_163503[1].jpg
Views:	272
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	284966

An existing hole in the chassis was drilled just over 9mm and a 6mm rivnut fitted

Name:	IMG_20200103_164642[1].jpg
Views:	276
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	284967

Which meant I could bolt up the pump in the inclined position required

Name:	IMG_20200103_164836[1].jpg
Views:	270
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	284968

A new hole was drilled at 4mm and tapped out to 5mm

Name:	IMG_20200103_170719[1].jpg
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	284969

and a small clip bolted in place

Name:	IMG_20200103_170822[1].jpg
Views:	262
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	284970

Then I could fit the filter, add some more pipe and change the washer on the pump mount for a larger one

Name:	IMG_20200103_171640[1].jpg
Views:	273
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	284971

Took about 3 hours in total, including refitting the seats and messing about, trying different things until I got a fitment that I was happy with. I may change the filter for a cheap disposable as the one in the kit is made from a brittle plastic and may break easily, doesn't look like it would filter much either.

Next up - fuel supply sorted, now fitting the heater unit inside the van.

Comment

• A neat , well thought out install thus far , well done .

Comment

• Nice work. Good useful thread, could we make it an independant thread away from your build (as well as here too)?
                    Me cago en la madre que te parió!

Comment

• Looks good mate, is the filter installed between tank and pump?.
                      I had the filter between pump and heater and for some reason the fuel supply where interrupted, now i got the filter on the tank and no problem sense.
                      If i had red the instructions ............

Sent from my SM-T810 using Just T4s

Comment

• Originally posted by Hans View Post
                        Looks good mate, is the filter installed between tank and pump?.
                        I had the filter between pump and heater and for some reason the fuel supply where interrupted, now i got the filter on the tank and no problem sense.
                        If i had red the instructions ............

Sent from my SM-T810 using Just T4s
                        I did deliberate over this, filters are normally fitted after pumps which makes no sense to me. I had no instructions with this heater so that's the way I did it. If I get problems I will change it.

Comment

• Originally posted by arfur fox-acre View Post
                          Nice work. Good useful thread, could we make it an independant thread away from your build (as well as here too)?
                          Already done it in technical section.

Comment

• That's a nice install mate. JB Weld? I'm surprised that hasn't been got at by the dolphin huggers.

Comment

• Originally posted by S49 View Post
                              That's a nice install mate. JB Weld? I'm surprised that hasn't been got at by the dolphin huggers.
                              Probably has, it's a pretty decent epoxy and I had some in the workshop drawer so that's what I used. It's a slow cure, I hope it goes off in the diesel tank before sloshing diesel dissolves it.

Comment

• second part of the install....

work out roughly where the unit can fit

Name:	IMG_20200104_142222[1].jpg
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	285011

That section of floor is separate for good reason - I can lift it up without disturbing the rest of the floor and rails.

Name:	IMG_20200104_143156[1].jpg
Views:	254
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	285012

And the floor cleaned up so I can use the supplied mounting plate as a template to mark up the floor, before drilling and using a 30mm hole saw

Name:	IMG_20200104_144923[1].jpg
Views:	252
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	285013

Then I used a mix of CT1, and some RTV silicone to bond down and seal the plate to the floor, cut a section out of the wooden floor section and refitted it.
                                The wire coming up through the floor is the pump wires that run through a grommet.

Name:	IMG_20200104_151858[1].jpg
Views:	252
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	285014

I placed the heater in place and got under the van to bolt it down and finish the plumbing

Name:	IMG_20200104_154043[1].jpg
Views:	245
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	285015

The exhaust I planned to fit inside the vans exhaust heat shield and run forwards but it was much tidier mounted rearwards

Name:	IMG_20200104_165238[1].jpg
Views:	240
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	285016

I'd used the same hole saw to cut through the heat shield, fitted the exhaust tube with some exhaust assembly paste, not happy with the fuel pipe's proximity to the exhaust. Now to fit the intake pipe, which then ran forward on the top of the heat shield and was simply cable tied in place

Name:	IMG_20200104_171214[1].jpg
Views:	227
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	285018

Name:	IMG_20200104_171846[1].jpg
Views:	232
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	285019

Then to just cobble it onto a battery, hastily rejoin the fuel pump pipes and hope the heater primes up and still works

Name:	IMG_20200104_172705[1].jpg
Views:	230
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	285020

Which it does but there is a slight leak at the pump fitting, I replace the pipe and the clamp but it is still leaking - I thing the fitting may be cracked on the pump so it'll have to be removed again - at which point I'll move that filter ahead of the pump.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X