No announcement yet.

My second T4, operation de-chav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• get that smut off my thread, my kids read this.

you cheeky monkeys!
    Last edited by Activ8; 30 October 2019, 06:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by regcheeseman View Post
      get that smut off my thread, my kids read this.

you ****s.
      Apologies - removed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
        Apologies - removed.
        damn, all I have now is a lo-res thumbnail and sarahs avatar for my late night onanistic activities.

Comment

damn, all I have now is a lo-res thumbnail and sarahs avatar for my late night onanistic activities.
          This'll keep your spirits up...

https://media.tenor.com/images/2c9f8...4296/tenor.gif
          Last edited by Activ8; 30 October 2019, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• Reg, are you converting your seats into a rib bed? The brackets on the front could work? Looks like it to me. I have thought about something similar in 10 years when I get to that stage. Dislike r&b beds cos the way they fold. The back half looks stupid and impractical to me. And i dislike the cost of t5 t6 rib beds. Just ignore me if I'm wrong

Sent from my SM-G960F using Just T4s

Comment

• **dunno how to edit, dislike r&r beds

Comment

• Originally posted by fife t4 new View Post
                Reg, are you converting your seats into a rib bed? The brackets on the front could work? Looks like it to me. I have thought about something similar in 10 years when I get to that stage. Dislike r&b beds cos the way they fold. The back half looks stupid and impractical to me. And i dislike the cost of t5 t6 rib beds. Just ignore me if I'm wrong
                You might be right if I knew what a RIB bed was.

The seat bases fold forwards to the vertical position, the backs then fold horizontal, so guess it's halfway there?

My plan was to just use it like this, and the seat section would just be a headboard/inconvenience.

But If if I made them fold flat....It would solve problems and I wouldn't have needed to put rails in to slide the seats forward to get a sensible length bed. Rails that are taking an age to fit and becoming a massive pain in the arse TBH.

Using the bed frame to keep the rails in line didn't work, it allows them to wander just enough to render the seats unslideable over the full length, add to that the floor level rises and falls slightly across the width and down the length of the van adds to the nightmare.
                It's also a royal PITA trying to fit the 96 bolts in the rail, trying to hold the rail and the bolt in the right place whilst I shimmy under the van to do the nut up, working in the rain, overalls soaking up water; in the dark, working with portable lights has lost its appeal after all these years of doing it.

I've now got to go back and undo about 40 bolts, one at a time, then reposition the rails and possibly shim them up so that the seat slides easy as intended.

Comment

You might be right if I knew what a RIB bed was.

The seat bases fold forwards to the vertical position, the backs then fold horizontal, so guess it's halfway there?

My plan was to just use it like this, and the seat section would just be a headboard/inconvenience.

But If if I made them fold flat....It would solve problems and I wouldn't have needed to put rails in to slide the seats forward to get a sensible length bed. Rails that are taking an age to fit and becoming a massive pain in the arse TBH.

Using the bed frame to keep the rails in line didn't work, it allows them to wander just enough to render the seats unslideable over the full length, add to that the floor level rises and falls slightly across the width and down the length of the van adds to the nightmare.
                  It's also a royal PITA trying to fit the 96 bolts in the rail, trying to hold the rail and the bolt in the right place whilst I shimmy under the van to do the nut up, working in the rain, overalls soaking up water; in the dark, working with portable lights has lost its appeal after all these years of doing it.

I've now got to go back and undo about 40 bolts, one at a time, then reposition the rails and possibly shim them up so that the seat slides easy as intended.
                  This is how I've found a RIB bed folds. If your "headboard " could fold flat its deffo nearly there. They go for about £1800 out t6's

Much nicer than r&r. Na I wouldn't be into rolling about in the dark either. Too cold. At least you've got your new carpet down

Comment

This is how I've found a RIB bed folds. If your "headboard " could fold flat its deffo nearly there. They go for about £1800 out t6's
                    The back of the headboard isn't flat, I'd need to add a third section to the seats making them bulky and heavy - I've other plans....

Originally posted by fife t4 new View Post
                    Na I wouldn't be into rolling about in the dark either. Too cold. At least you've got your new carpet down
                    I've not got the carpet down outside! Van don't fit in the garage, I do all my spannering and spraying outside.

Comment

The back of the headboard isn't flat, I'd need to add a third section to the seats making them bulky and heavy - I've other plans....

I've not got the carpet down outside! Van don't fit in the garage, I do all my spannering and spraying outside.
                      Would it need to be totally flat with an airbed, topper over it? I'll be watching to see what you come up with

Comment

• With your headboard... would you not have to extend the rear horizontal panel to fit your legs?

Comment

With your headboard... would you not have to extend the rear horizontal panel to fit your legs?
                          No extension needed for my legs, but maybe for a normal sized human.

But, I have a plan that will create a 6ft bed....

Tonight the seat frames were cut into the two parts they were always meant to be

A two seater frame

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191106_205347[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	268562

And the single seat frame

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191106_205406[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	268563

I tidied up the welds and added more welds where I'd made the cuts and exposed metal butt joints that I was previously unable to get to. Then I sprayed some zinc primer and a coat of matt black.

I should have welded in a couple of brace bars across the seat base where I had cut the two apart, I'll go back and do this, should have spotted it before I got overly enthusiastic about getting paint on.

Comment

Tonight the seat frames were cut into the two parts they were always meant to be

A two seater frame

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14029[/ATTACH]

And the single seat frame

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14030[/ATTACH]

I tidied up the welds and added more welds where I'd made the cuts and exposed metal butt joints that I was previously unable to get to. Then I sprayed some zinc primer and a coat of matt black.

I should have welded in a couple of brace bars across the seat base where I had cut the two apart, I'll go back and do this, should have spotted it before I got overly enthusiastic about getting paint on.
                            Keen to see how these seats work [emoji106]

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14029[/ATTACH]
                              .... to take into account your orangutan arms?

Looks like the T4/64 is being fitted with new brakes too, "RETURN OF THE ORANGE?" , did you find discs?

Comment

• Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                                .... to take into account your orangutan arms?
                                No - to meet the requirements of DVLA camper van status

Originally posted by Activ8 View Post
                                Looks like the T4/64 is being fitted with new brakes too, "RETURN OF THE ORANGE?" , did you find discs?
                                Have discs - audi ones. Skimmed from 30mm to 28mm thick.

Last night was the first time garaging since fitting the carpet, having a bit of a low on mojo at the moment. Fitting the rails is a PITA, 6 speed conversion don't work, brake conversion needs attention, it's raining and cold plus I have the usual bout of SAD kicking in.

Last night was good though, the welding went on beautiful and the frames look good, couple of easy wins and a boost for the mojo.

Hopefully it is dry Friday afternoon as I may do more of the rail fitment.

Comment

Working...
                                X